PDA

View Full Version : New Sharps

Don McDowell
12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
The long wait for my Shiloh Rougrider 44-77 came to an end last night, and it was worth everyminute. The picture doesn't do it justice but it's a gorgeous rifle, and if the few rounds I got to hurl down range this morning are any indication it's going to shoot just as good or better than it looks.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/44-77001.jpg

Using the Jamison brass. Fired case on the right.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/002.jpg

Boz330
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
That sure is some purdy wood on that rifle Don, Enjoy!
I have the hankering for something new but not the scratch at this time. I need to get in on some of those Obama bucks somehow. A Shiloh Sharps in every gun room. Kind of catchy.

Bob

littlejack
12-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Now Don, don't go and ruuuuub all the bluing off'n that rifle barrel.
BEEEEEEEEEutiful. Congratulations.
Jack

Don McDowell
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Boz ordering a Shiloh is about as easy a way to afford one as there is. Call in your order send them the 250 deposit, and then start stuffing money away or send it to them to ROA, then about a year after you ordered you'll get the pay up or die letter. So you got a year to get the rest of the money saved. If you don't get real extravagant with the extras, they're not that much more than buying a new Pedersoli out of the local Cabela's.
Just don't go to drooling on the available rifle list.... That's a good way for you and the visa to get grounded by the bookkeeper....

Don McDowell
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks Jack will try to keep her pristine for a little while, but I got these 400 cases to fireform and loads to get worked up.

WARD O
12-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Great rifle! I have a Roughrider (in 45-70) Shiloh myself - I really enjoy it and have taken some game with it as well. It is a great shooter.

A couple of years ago I played with an original Rem Rolling Block in 43 cal and that cartridge is very similar to your 44-77. Yours is a good historical combination of rifle and caliber. Have fun with it!

Ward

littlejack
12-08-2011, 03:37 PM
That is absolutly unbearable torture, when a man HAS to shoot a rifle of such quality. LOL.

Don McDowell
12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks Ward. I've been wanting a 44-77 for 40 years. But until Jamison started making brass it was almost more of a headache than it was worth. So finally here we are and I am pretty happy.
Jack you're right it's a tuff thing to do, but I'll take the bullet for ya... lol

bigted
12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
very nice Don, im envious but not ready yet for another sharps. that is a nice looking rifle tho and i cant wait to read about your experiments with it for accuracy....congratulations!!!

Don McDowell
12-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks Ted. It'll be a little bit before I get to some serious shooting, need to get a couple hundred of these cases fire formed. Looking like already this thing is going to be barnburner accurate.

cajun shooter
12-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Don, I am so happy for you as I know how I would feel if it was me receiving such a wonderful rifle.
She is a great looking piece of craftsmanship that is for sure. I know you will take excellent care of her.
You might have a hard time keeping your boys from taking possession of her. My sons come to my house and say Dad I need to borrow this or that and I never see it again.
A BIG CONGRATS FROM CAJUN SHOOTER!!!

Don McDowell
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks David.

Freightman
12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Boz ordering a Shiloh is about as easy a way to afford one as there is. Call in your order send them the 250 deposit, and then start stuffing money away or send it to them to ROA, then about a year after you ordered you'll get the pay up or die letter. So you got a year to get the rest of the money saved. If you don't get real extravagant with the extras, they're not that much more than buying a new Pedersoli out of the local Cabela's.
Just don't go to drooling on the available rifle list.... That's a good way for you and the visa to get grounded by the bookkeeper....
We buy everything else on time + interest and this has no interest so it is cheap up besides one of the Sporting good store credit cards. It is a Shiloh not a knock off that is worth something. From a proud Shiloh owner.

TXGunNut
12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Nicely done, Don! Very nice! I'm still hung up on a few choices (OK, mebbe a dozen) before I send my check to Big Timber and one of them is wood grades. If you don't mind me asking what grade is that on your new one? More than one rifle found it's way into my safe because of pretty wood so that's a big factor for me.

Mike

Don McDowell
12-10-2011, 10:56 AM
TX the wood on my rifle is supposed to be standard grade, at least that's what I ordered.

SharpsShooter
12-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Real purty Don..congrats on the new addition.

SS

Don McDowell
12-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks

Quigley284
12-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Nice one Don. I know you shoot alot of paper patch. Did you order a standard chanber to shoot both grease and patched or something different? Again, nice rifle, looking forward to reading shooting reports. Mike

Don McDowell
12-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Mike,I mostly went with the standard chamber to save 125$ plus the cost of the reamer.
In the 45 shiloh, I have not had any real problems using patched bullets. I know other shooters that are shooting standard Shiloh chambers with both types of bullets as well.
I visited with Kirk a bit about the chamber design and decided to stay with the standard chamber. I do however reserve the right to possibly someday have the throat reamed to a 12* lead.
From the limited shooting I've done with this rifle it does appear to be like the 45's it will digest either type of bullet.

Don McDowell
12-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Bit more shooting today.
Rifle appears to be shooting an honest 3 moa probably closer to 2 at 300 yds.
Yes I am happy, and it's probably only going to get better from here.

TXGunNut
12-14-2011, 11:03 PM
TX the wood on my rifle is supposed to be standard grade, at least that's what I ordered.-Don

I'm thinking standard will do when I order mine, thanks. Their idea of standard and mine differ a bit, looks very nice to me.

Don McDowell
12-15-2011, 12:09 AM
TGN it sure seems Shilohs standard wood is a step above.

50-170-700 sharps
12-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Beautiful rifle and congratulations on getting it and finding out it shoots good! Regards, Jim.

Don McDowell
12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks Jim

GuzziRider
12-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Congrats Don,
Let me see. From the looks of that tang sight I am thinking this rifle might be seen out on the western plains of Nebraska this next year.;)

Don McDowell
12-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Yessir and even into the northern range into Montana, and if them Crow and blackfeet don't get my hair, I'm planning on makin some ruckus in the mesa's in nothern New Mexico come august.

Gunlaker
12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
TGN it sure seems Shilohs standard wood is a step above.

There is no doubt about that! My recent .45-110, #3 has semi fancy wood and it looks a fair bit better than the extra fancy wood on my C. Sharps rifles (although they aren't too hard to look at either :-)

Chris.

Don McDowell
12-17-2011, 02:43 PM
When I saw this rifle being fitted to the reciever in Sept. I kniew right then and there it was a beautiful piece of wood.
The finished product is just stunning. I really wouldn't want any fancier wood on a rifle.

Don McDowell
12-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Still no proper shooting evaluation, but here's what the 300 yd gong looked like after the case fireforming venture was overwith yesterday. I believe this rifle is going to be able to shoot when treated proper...:D
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/001.jpg

bigted
12-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Don...how big is that plate? and your top rail looks like mine...got a smidge high with some previous shooting to get mine to look like your top rail...LOL never thought of making an H outta my gong tho...mine is made for shooting them smoken fast jacketed pin bullets tho and so is a solid 1 n 1/8th plate that is 8 inches round.

i think mine is also swelled out a bit with the gouged holes from them fast missles as well...sounds real nice tho when a 45 cal smacks it solid and the sound that my 38-55 makes really surprised me too being a good solid swat sound...but nothing rings mine like a 520 grain searing downrange ahead of that 70 grains 2f real powder.

Don McDowell
12-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Ted it's a frog plate from old 60lb mine rail. Measures about 23 inches , the wings are a touch over 16, and the center is about 12 inches,bullseye about 6 inches, it's near an inch thick and about all you can do to lift one end. It's hanging on 1 1/4 well pipe.
It rings good enough you can call a 22lr hit at that distance.

bigted
12-25-2011, 02:11 PM
cool...spent time in colorado and been inside some old coal mines there with that narrow gauge track but never gave a thought about the bedding plate for a hangin target...very cool with the inovation.

have a great x-mas brother and your 40 looks like it will be a shooter for sure. if not send it my way and ill put up with the in-accurate bugger for awhile so as to save ya the burden of it reminding you of the dollars spent on such a worthless hunk-o-iron...LOL!!!

Don McDowell
12-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Merry Christmas Ted.