PDA

View Full Version : Boring TC Stub

smokemjoe
12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I am boring out a TC stub to fit in a 45 cal. barrel TMG barrel and chamber it to 45 AR. will cut the other chamber off. I got the TC stub bored to .670, this gives a wall side of .070 and enought for the mount screws to hold, The barrel I will turn to .669, This will leave .109 per side on the barrel on the chamber walls. Total together is .810
is this going to be strong enought for cast bullets,
I have made a 22 hornet,221 fireball and a 357 Max. this way but had more wall thickness. Thanks-

halfslow
12-09-2011, 02:18 PM
For my own use, I have done something similar to what you are doing.
For the Contender, I settled on a stub bore of .625 to leave enough meat for the sight screws to hold onto.
This limits me to a 9mm/357 chambered insert.

I have plans to make a stub and inserts for the Encore when I am ready for the .45's, but will make the stub bore be .750.

I based these dimensions on the fact that the 1911 barrels are .690 over the chamber, and such a hole size in the Contender barrel left very little for those sight screws.

Since I am an amateur at this and don't have access to any way to test the various barrel scraps I use, I want a lot of safety factor in my assemblies.

How are you attaching the insert to the stub?
Are you threading the insert and stub?

smokemjoe
12-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I fit them to about .002 fit and use red or Green loctied. Jb would work also, IT will not come loose, your have to use heat , Then the 4 scope mount screws also hold it tight,to ., Bored chamber with boring bar and polished it to mirro finish, going to fit to 45 ACP, if the extracter gived me trouble I will go to 45AR. Thanks for the help, Joe

halfslow
12-10-2011, 04:49 PM
That is certainly the strongest way to do it.
I wanted my inserts to be removable, so I make them for a slip fit.