PDA

View Full Version : Im a believer now

RU shooter
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
about three hours ago I killed my first deer using my cast bullets what a rewarding experience! I was using my Rem 600 35 rem. the bullet was a saeco #351 200 gr plain base with one of Pats PB chexs. AC ww/pure mixed 1:1 and I smashed the nose to a flat about .250 dia as the original is too pointy for my liking . I was approx 80 yds away shot was slightly high on the ribcage on a downward angle , The small doe dropped on the spot . Upon field dressing and skinning show perfect results with very little blood shot meat on the ribs on the exit side and a hole about one inch dia at the widest . theres no doubt the alloy expanded well at what i would guess a mild 1700 fps impact vel. I couldnt be happier and now Im a cast bullet believer on game. no more jacketed bullets for me!

Tim

JJC
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Good deal. Handloads are ok, but with cast on top it's very rewarding.

Crawdaddy
12-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Congrats on the kill. I got my first cb deer this year too. I know how you feel right now. That feeling will probably be with you for a while. Congrats again.

44 flattop
12-08-2011, 10:28 PM
There is nothing like it, is there! I absolutely love taking animals with cast bullets, which I have since the early 1970's.

This year alone I took an antelope and very large mule deer buck in Wyoming with a Lyman cast bullet out of my .38-55 Marlin CB, and a blacktail buck here in my home state with an RCBS cast bullet from my .44 Marlin CB. I also took an elk a few weeks ago with my 444 Marlin but used an evil jacketed bullet since I hadn't had time to work up a cast load out of this new (to me) Marlin. But judging by the damage from the bullet, it'll be shooting a cast bullet next year!

But congradulations on making meat with a cast bullet!

MBTcustom
12-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Me too! My brother in law shot an eight point with a 35 caliber rifle that I built this summer.
250grain PP boolit going 2000 FPS. Coffee-cup size exit wounds and they dont get any deader.
Cast boolits are truly the most deadly projectile.

303Guy
12-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Congrats, RU shooter. Good one. :drinks:

'Evil-jack' that's easier to say than jaxketed or j-word!:mrgreen:

Jjed
12-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Where ya from in SW PA I live near 7 springs, maybe we can get together.
Jim

Wolfer
01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I have to agree with the satisfaction that taking a critter with a bullet you cast brings.
Also since I'm a poor boy I really like the cost of shooting cast, after the initial cost of course

white eagle
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
way to go
EXCELLENT [smilie=w:
nothing beats the feeling you have had today
pride and accomplishment
nothing better
congratulations :drinks:

swheeler
01-05-2012, 10:03 PM
RUShooter; U R hkd nw! :)

Tar Heel
01-05-2012, 10:48 PM
about three hours ago I killed my first deer using my cast bullets what a rewarding experience!

Congratulations!! Sure is a good feeling to know your ammo was totally homegrown. With all the time we put into our bullets, it's nice to see actual meat on the table as a result.

TXGunNut
01-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Now I undrstand, RU shooter, I joined the club last week. Congrats and many more! :drinks:

lead chucker
01-07-2012, 02:49 AM
It's addictive. Now you have to get another gun some more molds and work up new loads.Congrats on your deer Happy days.

fatnhappy
01-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Nice rifle. I'm shocked bolt action .30-30s and .35 rems aren't more popular.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
RU shooter.

I am a recent hunter with with cast boolits, with 3 deer and 1 elk down during the last two seasons.

Just from what I have read, and now seen, providing you use the correct boolit design, meaning one with a large flat meplat, for get about expansion, you don't need it!

Now this may be more true with my .45 caliber then your .35, I'll let other and more experienced hunters speak to that.

However, I fear that you would be less well served by a cast boolit that might not stand up to the forces involved when it impacts an eat'in sized critter.

Hollow points, boolits with a softer cast nose, or anything which lessens the integrity of my boolit would be questionable in my way of thinking.

With a good boolit design, forget expansion.

There are good mold makers making molds for WFN boolits of proven proformance and these would likely give much better results then boolits on which you have attempted to make a flat nose.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

smoked turkey
01-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I have taken a few animals with homemade boolits in years past. I then got off the straight path and used J-word projectiles for many years. However this site has affected me (infected?) and forced me to hunt more with cast. As a result two deer this year were taken with my more recent boolits with both smokeless and and blackpowder. I agree totally with all the above that the satisfaction is much greater as a result. I am already planning next years caliber. I have a new mold on order and brass sized and ready for priming/loading. I will be developing the new load over the summer and will be ready come next season. Good Stuff...this addiction.

pmer
01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=RU shooter;1494290]about three hours ago I killed my first deer using my cast bullets what a rewarding experience! I was using my Rem 600 35 rem. the bullet was a saeco #351 200 gr plain base with one of Pats PB chexs. AC ww/pure mixed 1:1 and I smashed the nose to a flat about .250 dia as the original is too pointy for my liking . I was approx 80 yds away shot was slightly high on the ribcage on a downward angle , The small doe dropped on the spot . Upon field dressing and skinning show perfect results with very little blood shot meat on the ribs on the exit side and a hole about one inch dia at the widest . theres no doubt the alloy expanded well at what i would guess a mild 1700 fps impact vel. I couldnt be happier and now Im a cast bullet believer on game. no more jacketed bullets for me!

Tim[/QUOT

I can't look at j-words the same either. Good job! :mrgreen:

missionary5155
01-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Good morning & Congradulations !
Nice way to start the transition to home brewed hunting.
Mike in Peru