PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Silhouette funshoot - Feb 24

7br
02-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Young Hunter's range just south of Goddard and north of Lake Afton on MacArthur. We will start about 9:00 am.

Emphasis will be on .22 rimfire, but I need to empty some cases so I can trim them up.

7br
02-24-2007, 10:41 PM
We ran from 9:00am to 12:30pm. For the most part, it was Les Sawyer, Carl Conely and myself. Warren Bickell came out to practice standing. A neighbor of my also came out and shot his encore in 6br and a contender in 7tcu. Les let me shoot his heavy barreled Win 52 with a JW Fecker scope. I generally shy away from shooting other people's firearms, but I couldn't pass this one up. Sorry about the pic quality. I really need to get a good digital. I shot 25rnds of 7br cast through my xp100 and 10 cast rounds through my Dan Wesson. No leading in either. The Dan Wesson target was a RV Antifreeze jug at 100yards. Managed to hit 3 for 10 from standing. I really need to work on standing. I am looking forward to a good silhouette season.

fourarmed
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Mark, sorry we missed it. We fought the rain and I-70 traffic to get to Higginsville to shoot their first match. When we got there, the creek was just starting over the low-water bridge into the range, and everybody (the usual suspects) were sitting in the stat house hoping nobody would want to shoot. By the time we left, the water was a foot deep at the crossing, and 6 hardy souls had braved the miserable cold, windy rain. Only one was (fool) hardy enough to shoot twice. That was yours truly, of course. Margaret refused to get her guns out of the case, but she did spot for me. I actually shot pretty well. Three coats does wonders for your stability in the standing position.

I shot the .30-30 Merrill barrel for the first time. It has an old 2.5X Redfield on it, and I was shooting the RCBS 165 SIL boolit over 15 grains of 2400. I managed to clean a bank of turkeys and a bank of rams, finishing with a 29 in unlimited standing. This has turned out to be a very accurate combination, though I despaired of it for a long time.

Then, not having had enough fun, I went back through with the .270 max barrel, finishing with a standing 28. That did it, because I had no intention of shooting laying down.

Now if I can just avoid pneumonia and rust, all will be well.