PDA

View Full Version : 44 S&W Special I need advice

atr
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I am shopping for a .44 S&W special
I would like your opinion as to which Make/Manuf you would recommend.. what are your top 3 choices?

I am NOT using this a a concealed carry
I would be using it mostly for carrying in the field and general target shooting.
your thoughts are appreciated
thanks
atr

theperfessor
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
My three choices, all S&Ws:

1. Model 624 (N frame, stainless, adj sights)
2. Model 24 (N frame, blued, adj sights)
3. Model 21 (N frame, blue or nickel, fixed sights)

I have copies of all three, the M21 is a nickeled post-Thunder Ranch Special.

The first two are out of production but available used, the 21 I'm not sure of.

Guesser
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I have two currently, a limited production Lew Horton S&W 624, 3" RB, TS, TT,; really pretty gun, dates to 1985, I have the documentation. I also have a Taurus Model 441, SS, 6", 5 shot.
The Taurus is the better gun for the money. I shoot nothing but my cast and the Taurus does it better. They don't make'm any more but there are used ones on the market.

Jim
12-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Here's one (http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Bulldog_74440.html)to consider.

Dan Cash
12-08-2011, 02:11 PM
+1 on what the Perfessor says. I have a Lew Horton M24 3" that is exceptionally accurate. I would like to have a 6 or 61/2" version of the same gun. I would say Smith, Colt SAA or US Fire Arms SAA are about the only .44s worth messing with.

lbaize3
12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
I have two S&W model 21s that are very accurate at 25 yards (240 gr. SWC and Unique). I also have the six inch model 24 with adjustable sights. It is also very accurate. I also have the Ruger flat top 44 special and quess what... it is accurate too. Of the four pistols, I tend to like the model 24 for range shooting sessions and the others for woods carry guns, with the nod going to the model 21 as the quickest and easiest to carry and shoot.

You could not go wrong with any of the three models.

Larry Gibson
12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Ruger 44 SPL FTBH.

Assuming you just used the "S&W" as that was/is the correct name for the cartridge and you asked for "make/model".

Larry Gibson

376Steyr
12-08-2011, 04:34 PM
You might want to give the folks at http://cdnninvestments.com a call. I got an email flyer from them saying they had S&W M24 6 1/2" Nickel models on special. I don't know if they have any left.

W.R.Buchanan
12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
I personally have a RBH Bisley 4.5/8 in .44 Special. good gun, and not too expensive. I paid $475 for mine.

Randy

targetshootr
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
It kinda depends on if you're more used to single or double actions and on your budget. A 44 spl Bisley is about perfect in a sa, imo.

OneBagNomad
12-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm a big fan of short-barreled revolvers in general, even ones I don't use for carry. I also think that the N-frame is extreme overkill for the .44 special. With that in mind, I have to give the nod to the discontinued S&W 696. It's an all-steel L-frame 5-shot .44 special with a 3" barrel. They pop up occasionally on the secondary market; I'm always keeping an eye out for one at a decent price. It's one of the "ones that got away" and I've been kicking myself ever since.

9.3X62AL
12-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I have a S&W Model 624 x 6.5" that I dote upon, but one of the Ruger single-action variants with adjustable sights would find room in my gun safe, and welcome.

12-08-2011, 07:44 PM
1. S&W 624 6 1/2" Lew Horton Special.
2. S&W 24 3" Lew Horton Special.
3. Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 4 5/8".

I have the two S&W's. I find their N-frames welcome, whenever shooting Mr. Keith's load, and their triggers quite exceptional.

williamwaco
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm with the Perfessor with one exception.

Nickle is an abomination if the sun is shining.
I also don't like Stainless for target shooting.

The top of the revolver where the sun shines on the sights should be as dark and non-reflective as possible.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Of all the guns I own, my favorite are the Colt Single Action in .44 Special. I have three of them. The 4 3/4" are the handiest shooting, easiest packing hip pistol and carry more power per ounce than anything else. The 7 1/2" is the most accurate pistol I have. High pressure Keith bullets or convenient 429667 bevel base boolits that drop from my 4 cavity mold over 5.3 gr of Bullseye at 800 fps. A great range of power. Colt is cataloging the adjustable sight New Frontier this year, or for more money Smith and Wesson rear sights milled into the Colt frame are lower profile than the New Frontier. I've never fooled with adjustable sights. None of my nickel guns are .44 Special, blue is better especially if you are filing sights.

theperfessor
12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't like glare either so I can't argue too much with you Willamwaco, but you get what you can get when you got the scratch and opportunity to get it, if you know what I mean. And I do like the "environmental durability' of nickel and stainless and they clean up real nice at the end of the day.

You'll notice the 296 in my photo. It's a hammerless 5 shot L-frame airweight. (I call it the humpback whale.) Also have a Rossi 720, its another stainless 5 shot L-frame size revolver that shows up often on the used market. Used to have a Bulldog, got when when they first came out but later sold it.

I like my .44 Specials. I'd have even more of them if I could shoot SAs worth a darn but I can't and I don't need any more safe queens.

Mal Paso
12-08-2011, 10:44 PM
The S&W Model 24 in 6.5", Bright Blue Finish, Square Butt is in current production as a Classic. It's a problem. I want one.

targetshootr
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I have a 5 screw 28 converted to 44 spl by Andy Horvath using a 4" 24 barrel if anyone is in the market. I don't shoot it much so someone else may as well.

atr
12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
thanks guys....your comments and thoughts are very much appreciated
I have Colt and S&W double action revolvers and only one Colt single action
I like the swing out cylinder for case ejection of the S&W's but have gotten used to the single action method of ejecting cases

I am leaning in this direction
http://snakeriverarms.com/ruger-blackhawk-bisley-flat-top-44-special/

Bret4207
12-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Smith over anything else if you have the funds. If funds are limited a GOOD Charter is a joy, a lemon is an abomination.

atr
12-09-2011, 10:37 AM
DOES anyone have any experience and or opinion about an Uberti Schofield in 44-40?

GLL
12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
theperfesser hit it correctly ! A 4" S&W 24-3 or 624 would be my choice as a carry/shooter. The Ruger Bisley 4 5/8" is a great one as well !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/1708B2EBEE5F40A/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/827002BF6938115/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A5D8B21472E5958/standard.jpg

GLL
12-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm a big fan of short-barreled revolvers in general, even ones I don't use for carry. I also think that the N-frame is extreme overkill for the .44 special. With that in mind, I have to give the nod to the discontinued S&W 696. It's an all-steel L-frame 5-shot .44 special with a 3" barrel. They pop up occasionally on the secondary market; I'm always keeping an eye out for one at a decent price. It's one of the "ones that got away" and I've been kicking myself ever since.

The 696 is indeed a VERY nice gun but they are getting VERY pricey !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/27A1484A828620E/standard.jpg

FN in MT
12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm a big S&W fan like GLL. My suggestion would be one of the N frame 624's or if you want to slim things down a bit...try one of the 696 L frame five shot guns. I've got a pair of 696-1's and carry the shooter of the pair in an EPS Tom Threepersons quite a bit in the woods and afield. Pretty close to perfect.

Then again I've also got a Freedom Arms M-97 in 4.25" thats a 35 oz dream to carry afield. Five shooter, typical FA accuracy, and it has that SAA "feel" thats makes it a joy to handle and shoot.

To me .....so many people RUIN the .44 spcl experience by trying to turn it into a magnum. One can turn up the heat on the FA and the N frames...but the thin forcing cone on the 696's really weren't made for hot loads. I load 7.5 of Unique over a #429421 and a std primer. Have had zero issues with the L frame.

To me the beauty of the .44 Special is that even wiith it's moderate power...compared to it's magnum big Brother...it's still enought to get most jobs done...and done well.

FN in MT

376Steyr
12-09-2011, 04:15 PM
For the best S&W .44 Special never made, take a M686 4" Mountain Gun barrel and rebore to .44 cal, a M696 5-shot cylinder, and a no-lock M686 .357 revolver. Mix well. I had Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision put one together for me and it is a gem. He shows one on his website. I load it with 250 grain Keiths and 7.5 Unique for around 900 fps. I figure if what I shoot at doesn't fall down with this load, I probably shouldn't have shot it with a handgun in the first place.

OneBagNomad
12-09-2011, 04:21 PM
For the best S&W .44 Special never made, take a M686 4" Mountain Gun barrel and rebore to .44 cal, a M696 5-shot cylinder, and a no-lock M686 .357 revolver. Mix well. I had Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision put one together for me and it is a gem. He shows one on his website. I load it with 250 grain Keiths and 7.5 Unique for around 900 fps. I figure if what I shoot doesn't fall down with this load, I probably should have shot it with a handgun in the first place.

I'm considering doing this with a 3" GP100. Clements Custom Guns does a conversion package. A little pricey, but I'm sure it's nice when it comes back.

azrednek
12-09-2011, 04:47 PM
You might want to give the folks at http://cdnninvestments.com a call. I got an email flyer from them saying they had S&W M24 6 1/2" Nickel models on special. I don't know if they have any left.

Big big lump in my throat after seeing the ad from CDNN. Please don't ask what I paid for mine a few months ago because I'm embarrassed. My thoughts if the original poster wants a 44 Special. Don't waste any time ordering the bargain on the S&W from CDNN. Act on it ASAP, don't think they will last and will likely sell out soon.

Personally I'm fond of the Charter Arms Bulldog. I know that for every praise of the Bulldog there will be an equivalent amount of cursing it.

If the OP wants a 44 for recreational use, the S&W is the way to go. The CA Bulldog makes for a great nightstand or center console gun. The Bulldog will easily score center mass hits at handgun ranges where the S&W will print nice clusters.

targetshootr
12-09-2011, 05:02 PM
For the best S&W .44 Special never made, take a M686 4" Mountain Gun barrel and rebore to .44 cal, a M696 5-shot cylinder, and a no-lock M686 .357 revolver. Mix well. I had Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision put one together for me and it is a gem. He shows one on his website.

A local shooter has the one pictured on his website and it is indeed sweet.

subsonic
12-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I would get the stainless flattop Ruger with 4 5/8" barrel, if I couldn't afford a USFA of some sort with adjustable sights. But that's just me. Get what you like and can afford. I would suggest a FA 97 as another choice, but have no experience with FAs.

atr
12-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Jerry,,,
thanks for those photos,,,,I picture is worth a thousand words,,,

I'm headed in the direction of the Ruger flat top

Silver Jack Hammer
12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Check out Charles Skelton's article; "The .44 Special - A Reappraisal" written before Mr. Skelton adapted the nickname Skeeter. You can find this and other great articles on many websites such as The Dark Canyon. In Skelton's article he describes what he goes through to get the .44 Special he wants. He spends too much money, money he doesn't have, and waits a long time but in order to get what is important to him he undertakes the project. A man should have one gun just the way he wants it.

Larry in MT
12-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Jerry,,,
thanks for those photos,,,,I picture is worth a thousand words,,,

I'm headed in the direction of the Ruger flat top

Here's hoping you get as much enjoyment from yours as I have from mine! I carry mine in an old Buckheimer holster --- a thick, laminated "Rigger's" type belt (mine's an Uncle Mike's) makes it easy to pack.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/larrykay47/a668c219.jpg

Tom Herman
12-21-2011, 03:49 PM
My first preference for .44 SPL is the S&W model 624, approx 6" bbl... It's not super heavy, but very well built. I love the gun!
Second choice is the Ruger Flattop in .44 SPL. I have two: One blued, one stainless. I bought the blued one first, then found out that Ruger came out with a stainless version, so i had to have it, too.
The steel gun seems to lead a bit, while the stainless gun is a dream.
With the terminally wet weather on this side of the mountains, I'll stick with the stainless guns for everyday use.
Also, I use .44 SPL in guns like the model 629, or the Henry chambered in .44 Mag.
The shorter .44 SPL works well in long guns where the full length .44 Mag with the most excellent Lyman 429421 bullet would hang up due to bullet length/contour.
I use the 429421 cast from 50/50 wheel weights to scrap lead (with 2% Tin for good mold fillout), lube it with my homemade dead ringer for SPG, and load with 6.5 grains Unique.
This makes for an all purpose and pleasant load to shoot.
Good Luck in the .44 SPL arena! It's every bit as addicting as .455 Webley is...

-Tom Herman

rintinglen
12-22-2011, 05:25 AM
I vote for the Ruger Flat Top. Prior to buying this gun, I always thought the "Special" part of the 44 was false advertising. I had a Model 24, A 624, a Charter, and a Colt Single Action Army, none of which was all that great. I have a S&W 544 with an optional 44 Cylinder and a Nickeled 21-4 now. None of those guns will or would shoot as well as my Flat Top. (In fact, the 624 was a real turkey--it shot rings around just about every other gun I owned: great big rings). If it is not primarily a defense gun, I'd recommend the Ruger in a Heart Beat. If it shoots as well as mine, you will never regret it.