PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 Pressure sCrew Replacement

Dashriprock
12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Howdy all! *** here, with a question I've searched on and can't find an answer:

I recently inherited a 1970's-era Lyman 450. Broke it down, boiled it out, cleaned it up, etc. The pressure screw was broken, so I ordered the replacement sub-assembly kit from Lyman, along with the newer double-husky handle and linkage.

Upon looking at the base of the press, I see that the older presssure screw base is peened into place. How does one get it out to get the new one in?

Also, there is a white plastic piece included with the new assembly, it rides on the screw between the top and bottom fixtures. What is this for? Where does it reside in the overall assembly with lube stick in place?

Thanks in advance for any and all info provided!

sig2009
12-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I just replaced the whole sub assembly. The new pressure screw base just pushes out with a long screwdriver. The center of the base where the screw goes is peened at least on mine. The bottom cap should not be peened to the frame. It is only held in with a washer. The white piece I assume prevents the top cap from putting too much pressure on the base. This piece is not in the diagram but I believe it is an upgrade. I put the center screw in then put the plastic piece over the screw and then insert the lube stick. Works good for me. The sub assembly comes with a new top and bottom pressure piece, a new center screw, a plastic piece and a new top cap. This should help. It doesn't show the bottom cap but you should be able to see how it goes.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_4500.pdf

oneokie
12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
The plastic piece is to prevent one from cranking the pressure washer down against the bottom of the lube resevoir. (sp)

sig2009
12-10-2011, 10:53 AM
The plastic piece is to prevent one from cranking the pressure washer down against the bottom of the lube resevoir. (sp)

I believe I said that.

oneokie
12-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I believe I said that.

You said:
The white piece I assume prevents the top cap from putting too much pressure on the base.

The top cap does not move up and down the pressure screw. The pressure piston does.

Read through the threads here about people having to use various methods to get the pressure piston to raise back out of the resivoir(sp) after they screw it down hard against the bottom plug. The plastic piece is supposed to prevent that from happening.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Read through the threads here about people having to use various methods to get the pressure piston to raise back out of the resivoir(sp) after they screw it down hard against the bottom plug. The plastic piece is supposed to prevent that from happening.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt :(
a short prayer before reaching for a hammer and chisel helps.
then putting the sizer in the freezer was the answer.
Jon

sig2009
12-10-2011, 12:53 PM
You said:

The top cap does not move up and down the pressure screw. The pressure piston does.

Half full,half empty. Tomato,tomaato. Excuse me for not being politically correct.:veryconfu And the center screw could actually be called a bolt! If you look at the sub assembly it is really pretty obvious how it goes back together.

oneokie
12-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Half full,half empty. Tomato,tomaato. Excuse me for not being politically correct.:veryconfu And the center screw could actually be called a bolt! If you look at the sub assembly it is really pretty obvious how it goes back together.

It is NOT about being politically correct, it is about using the correct terminology to identify parts. The OP stated he was a newbie, so imo, it is in his best interest that the parts be identified correctly.

sig2009
12-10-2011, 05:58 PM
It is NOT about being politically correct, it is about using the correct terminology to identify parts. The OP stated he was a newbie, so imo, it is in his best interest that the parts be identified correctly.

That's the reason I posted the link to the diagram of the sizer for him so he could see what all the parts were. Now can we move on already!

Dashriprock
12-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Whoa -- I don't want no fights, now!

Thanks very much to all who have posted here -- this really clears things up.

But just to be sure. I can go knocking this out of the body and it'll be a-ok?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/EvanWby/basepeen.jpg

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't knock it out, unless it doesn't work with your new parts.
it looks just fine from your photo,
if it withstood the pressure of breaking the pressure screw,
it should last a while longer, eh ?
Jon

Dashriprock
12-11-2011, 09:16 AM
After posting the pic, I fit everything up and that old pressure screw base is fine. Decided to leave it in place.

Again, many thanks for the assistance, fellas!

Shiloh
12-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Whoa -- I don't want no fights, now!

Thanks very much to all who have posted here -- this really clears things up.

But just to be sure. I can go knocking this out of the body and it'll be a-ok?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/EvanWby/basepeen.jpg

Looks just like the bottom of mine. Complete with gray wrinkle paint.
I got all my parts and new handle linkage from Lyman. They have parts for the 450,
but none for my 45.

Shiloh

sig2009
12-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I just looked at my old part I replaced and it was peened in place like yours but it popped right out anyway.