PDA

View Full Version : hunting bullets with the sks what works ?

badbob454
12-08-2011, 01:29 AM
i am trying to load up some hunting loads for pig in my yugo sks i need to get a good hunting boolit iv heard the fat 311041 is a good boolit any others that will feed reliably , pref in the 150 to 190 gr range any help and experience pig hunting will help , never pig hunted before thanks badbob im wnating to load up to 1600-1750 fps with some heavys i have looked at some flatnose 311 molds but havn't purchased any yet.. any experience with a fn boolit?

Gunnut 45/454
12-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Yep I'd go with a bullet with a good melplate on it to give better wound channel. Run them around 1800 fps and that should give you enough energy for shots out to about 150 yards. I wouldn't push it past that as pigs are tuff ! I'd go for a shoulder busting shot as well. I take it your hunting Komifornia? If thats the case you do know using lead bullets has been pretty much banned for hunting. Just saying.

badbob454
12-09-2011, 03:26 AM
Yep I'd go with a bullet with a good melplate on it to give better wound channel. Run them around 1800 fps and that should give you enough energy for shots out to about 150 yards. I wouldn't push it past that as pigs are tuff ! I'd go for a shoulder busting shot as well. I take it your hunting Komifornia? If thats the case you do know using lead bullets has been pretty much banned for hunting. Just saying.

yeah banned in the so cal coastal areas only not in nevada county or northern counties as far as i know .

have you used a wide metplate bullet or just advising in an sks im trying to figure how wide and feed satisfactorily , meaning no hangups on the ramp .. , does a sks have a ramp hmmm

Old Goat Keeper
12-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Bob go to www.castbullet.com which is Junior Doughty's web site and read his articles on a hog load for his SKS Yugo. He already done did what you need!

T-o-m

badbob454
12-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Bob go to www.castbullet.com which is Junior Doughty's web site and read his articles on a hog load for his SKS Yugo. He already done did what you need!

T-o-m

i have read this it dosent tell how well the boolit works on the hog just that it shoots well , this is what makes me want to rtry using the sks yugo

JIMinPHX
12-10-2011, 06:02 AM
I tried filing a meplat on a Harris design boolit for use in a SKS. That did not feed well at all for me. A meplat as small as 1/8" in diameter would cause constant jams. Junior reported much better results with much bigger meplats on the boolits that he used.

badbob454
12-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I tried filing a meplat on a Harris design boolit for use in a SKS. That did not feed well at all for me. A meplat as small as 1/8" in diameter would cause constant jams. Junior reported much better results with much bigger meplats on the boolits that he used.

yes he said it fed well , i was just curious if there was any other fn boolits that will feed well ... im surprised the harris boolit didnt feed well , with a small metplate filed on it .. any other thoughts or experiences.... i may have to (shudder) use the j word 150 gr soft nose bullets. made by Wolf ... i have heard they shoot well and are nice expanders , if, i cant find something else...

Larry Gibson
12-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Cast the Harris bullet of a softer alloy and HP them 1/8" deep with the Forster 1/8" HP tool. Feeds fine in my Russion SKS.

Larry Gibson

badbob454
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Cast the Harris bullet of a softer alloy and HP them 1/8" deep with the Forster 1/8" HP tool. Feeds fine in my Russion SKS.

Larry Gibson

i have the lee 160 gr tumble lube design will this work,. or should i get the 155 gr with lube rings and a gas check .
also will this work in my rcbs trimmer ?

Gunnut 45/454
12-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Well if feeding is and issue I'd go with what feeds well and just be ready for follow up shots! That 160 gr bullet should do the trick. Load some up and see how they group at 100-150 yards if you can get them too about 2-2.5" you should be golden!

badbob454
12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
iv got the 160 guess ill try and hollow point em, and give it a go

Larry Gibson
12-10-2011, 08:59 PM
i have the lee 160 gr tumble lube design will this work,. or should i get the 155 gr with lube rings and a gas check .
also will this work in my rcbs trimmer ?

Many have good results with TL bullets at 1800 - 2000 fps but I have not had the best results with them. The C312-155 works very well though.

RCBS trimer? I don't know, just assumed the pilot shafts are the same. The Forsters pilot shafts are .185". If that's the same as the RCBS(?) the HP tool will work.

Larry Gibson

badbob454
12-10-2011, 09:03 PM
thanks larry and all you other guys love the forum

Gunnut 45/454
12-10-2011, 09:23 PM
badbobgerman
There is a price for the info- many dead pig pics!! :)

x101airborne
12-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I have been using the 7.62x39 in an AR platform for a while now for pig hunting. I have had success at shorter ranges (under 75 yards) kinda hit and miss with the lovern style boolit cast of 50/50 ww/pb air cooled lubed with alox. 2400 is my powder of choice and it does function the weapon and gives decent accuracy. Anytime I hit a major bone, the hog is down. Reguardless of a shoulder, spine, etc. Just going through the ribs does not always get the job done as quickly as I like. I cannot say they work better or worse than HP'J's, but they are a cheap alternative. I just got tired of losing my good (expensive) reloadable brass and went back to the wolf hp steel case. It was cheaper just to buy the wolf and save the time reloading than to buy brass, reload it modified to accept a cast boolit, then lose the brass after one firing. When I go through sometimes 30 rounds a nite and only have 4 or 5 recovered cases, I went back to steel.

Now if you only shoot a couple rounds a day, no problem.

x101airborne
12-10-2011, 10:45 PM
On a side note, I have pretty much gone to the lyman 170 gr. flatpoint cast of the same metal unsized (cast at .311 and only sized in a 450 enough to lock the gas check). Same 2400 powder, it just seemed to reduce flyers for me, not necessarily a tighter group. I have not had any problems with leading, fouling, or pressure. I have never shot anything bigger than 150 pound pigs with that load. I did use the same boolit over 2400 in a TC 308 super 14 and killed a pig around 180 pounds. Again, through MAJOR bones. Check my hunting with CB's threads for pics.

JIMinPHX
12-11-2011, 06:24 AM
I've used both the 155 & 160gr Lee boolit in an SKS. They both shot about the same. I've tried LLA & conventional lube on both types. It all worked, even carnuba red on the TL design 160-gr. 2400 & RE-7 both work well in that cartridge. I was working with a chrome lined bore. A buddy of mine with a Yugo shoots the 155-gr version with no problems. I don't know of he has tried the 160 tl type in that gun or not.

Even with the pointy tip, a 12bnh boolit still works fairly well on moderate sized game. I have some softer ones, but I haven't tried them yet.

The off-the-shelf soft points that are loaded in the steel cases from companies like Herters & Wolf tend to shoot pretty well, but I haven't actually seen how they expand yet. I had problems with 120-gr Wolf 9x18mak hollow point ammo that did not expand at all. They were HP, but they were hard as a rock. I haven't tested how soft their sp rifle ammo is yet.

If you warm up the gas piston to around 250f & then dab on some Bullplate sprue plate lube, it helps to prevent lead fouling of the piston.

Also, be aware that the Yugo rifles often come, out of the box, tuned for slightly hotter ammo than most of the other variants do. A buddy of mine has both a Yugo & a Chicom. The Yugo needs about a grain more powder to function normally.

I think that either ProMag or Tapco makes a 5-round detachable box mag for the SKS, just in case you might need that to make the rifle legal for hunting.

I've tried both copper & aluminum gas checks. The copper checks worked well. The aluminum gas checks did not play well with the chrome bore. They left terrible residue behind that was a bear to remove. The aluminum worked well in a .30-30 that did not have chrome in the bore.

badbob454
12-14-2011, 04:13 AM
cool im gonna try the lee's and im looking for a good flatpoint might lee-ment a 309 lee 150 grainer to a 312 maybe 152 gr. iv bid on a single so i can give it a try , if anyone has one for a fair price im looking pm me please