PDA

View Full Version : opinions on molds

realfisher
12-08-2011, 01:21 AM
i am looking to add more molds to my collection to get away from my lee's. i like4+ cavitys and really want to stay away from aluminum molds. what would you sujest for non lee and no aluminum molds?

Ickisrulz
12-08-2011, 02:02 AM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/

People are very happy with these molds. Three different materials available. 1-5 cavity. Good prices for custom molds and fast turn around.

41 mag fan
12-08-2011, 08:38 AM
You'll find out therres a major difference between a Lee mold and the fine quality made aluminum molds by NOE and MIha.

Don't rule out aluminum till you try one from a quality maker. Lees in my opinion are the dregs of the barrel and last resort for molds.
You pick up an aluminum mold from NOE or Miha, you'll see a major difference, and wont be so put off by it being aluminum. I was that way.

Brass is good, but more expensive

mart
12-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I have a brass mold from Accurate Molds. I love it. I cannot say enough good about them or their molds. The turn around on their orders is very quick. Great mold!

Mart

RobS
12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
2nd on the Lee aluminum being less quality or softer vs the aluminum used by some of the other mold makers i.e. NOE, MiHec, Mountain Molds, Accurate Molds, LBT etc. Saeco molds do come in the 4 cavity and they will cost nearly the same as a custom. Lyman is another non custom, mass production, mold maker that produces 4 cavity molds however there is quality controll issues right now with molds that cast undersized. I won't even bother with a Lyman mold unless it's an older second hand one that has information about what diameter it cast at. The great thing about the custom mold makers is the mold you get is one that will cast at or a bit over the intended or stated diameter and if not their customer service is top notch and issues are resolved quickly and professionally.

realfisher
12-08-2011, 06:27 PM
i appreciate the feed back. i do have a NEI mold thats aluminum. so far its doing well. i wont rule out others but just some thing about a steel mold that i like. its hard to explain.

most of the lees i have were givin to me by a friend and have done well to get me started and through my learning curve for the casting end of it. im very comfortable with casting now.

MtGun44
12-08-2011, 08:40 PM
No steel molds that I know of. Cast iron of various types. RCBS uses a varation called
Meehanite, very hard, fine grained, machines very nicely. RCBS are beautifully made
molds, sadly, only available in 2 cav.

MP (Miha is the owner) makes wonderful aluminum and brass molds.

Bill

btroj
12-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Aluminum moulds are not as bad as people make them out to be. E make a nice bullet, are light, and very functional. The fact they are largely made by Lee lends people to see them as a second class product. I say that is bunk.
Treat any mould well and it will last many years, treat any poorly and they will soon be worthless.

We need to stop blaming the tool for the faults of the user.

MikeS
12-09-2011, 01:55 AM
My personal preference is for brass moulds. While NOE, Accurate Molds, and others make aluminum moulds, and they're a world of difference from a Lee mould, they're still IMHO not as good as a brass mould. But then I cast using a bottom pour pot, and always rest the mould on a guide, so the extra weight of brass doesn't bother me as much as somebody that cast by holding the mould entirely themselves (doesn't use a guide to hold the weight of the mould). Aluminum moulds do have a place, as they're so much lighter than a brass or iron mould. The thing I don't like about aluminum moulds is that they loose heat much quicker than the other mould materials. Some people think that iron moulds cast better than brass, but I haven't seen that in my experience. And with iron moulds you have to worry about rust, something you don't have to do with a brass mould! I just ordered my second brass mould from Accurate Molds, and I can't wait to get it! Tom's moulds are actually about the same price as buying a new SAECO mould, at least when comparing 4 cavity moulds, and you get a custom made mould, for your alloy, and to make boolits the diameter you specify!

realfisher
12-09-2011, 06:30 PM
mike, then there is also a differance in metal expansion when you have steel parts in an aluminum mold as well.
as soon as i can afford to get a rcbs or lyman casting pot, im going to, that way i can have a guide to put my mold on too. if i didnt have to buy a washer and dryer, next week, i would already be buying a new casting pot

MikeS
12-10-2011, 04:23 AM
I don't think the difference between metals expanding at different rates makes any difference, at least I've never noticed any. I think brass holds the heat better than either aluminum or iron. I think in the end the quality of the mould is more important that the material it's made from. As others have said, Mihec, NOE, Accurate, and others have all made aluminum moulds that are far better than anything Lee has made! All the mould materials have trade-offs. Brass holds heat great, but is heavy. Iron also holds heat well, is slightly more durable than either brass, or aluminum, but you have to watch for rust. Aluminum doesn't hold heat well at all, but it makes very light moulds so you can cast with it longer before starting to get tired.

So in the end, what your mould is made from is up to you if you go with a custom mould maker, or up to the mould company if buying 'off the shelf' moulds!

Most people here would agree that the old H&G moulds are the gold standard by which all others are judged by. I have an aluminum NOE mould that's a clone of the H&G #34 round nose boolit, and a brass Mihec mould that's a clone of the H&G #68 SWC mould, and both of them cast every bit as good as a genuine H&G would. Not to mention that the only way to get an H&G mould now is used, as H&G haven't been around for a number of years!

I've made a decision that from now on I'm not going to be buying 'stock' boolit moulds, but rather only getting custom moulds from the fine mould makers here on the forum, this way I can get what I want, how I want it, and only pay slightly more than some stock moulds cost. As an example, I just ordered a 4 cavity brass mould from Accurate Molds, and the cost with the shipping was $163.00. A SAECO 4 cavity iron mould costs $150.00 from Midway, and that's without shipping. If the cost of shipping is added in, the SAECO would actually cost MORE than a custom mould!

jdgabbard
12-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Since nobody else has mentioned them, Mountain Molds. They offer a brass mold, which I too am fond of. However, my preference is for iron molds.

I stay away from Lee as best as I can. I do have a few Lee molds, and for what I paid, they'll "get the job done" but they are not as nice as something by ANYBODY else....

realfisher
12-15-2011, 06:17 PM
has any one bought a new saeco mold ? i have found 2 saeco's i might get from midway.

hhranch
12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I have had good luck with Saco's over the years, particularly their 4 cavity molds, if you run a pair of these together you can really put out the lead. I lucked onto an old Saco 8 cavity No. 68 several years ago, and while it doesn't look to good cosmetically, it does throw nice boolits. They really pile up in a hurry eight at a time!

As someone noted, however, the H&G molds are the gold standard as far as I am concerned. You can duplicate them with Ballisti-Cast. I have one of their 4 cavity #7's for 9mm and have been very happy with it. Cost is high, about what you will pay for an H&G on an auction site, and at least it is new, not used with some unknown pedigree

Lyman 4 cavity molds rate a distant third in my experience. Unfortunately I haven't tried the multiple cavity aluminum molds, other than a used NEI in 9mm, and I only rate it so-so.

My 2 cents worth - other people probably have different opinions.

cdet69
12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Any special treatment needed for a brass mold. Do you need to smoke it to get it to cast well?

MikeS
12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
No need to smoke a brass mould. No need to smoke any mould really! Smoking a mould just covers up a problem, it can be used as a short term fix, but if you need to smoke a mould to get it to release boolits, there's an underlying problem that should be addressed. Just pre-heat the mould, and use a mould lube like BullPlate on the tops of the blocks, and underside of the sprue plate (using VERY little), and the alignment pins, and you should be good to go.

cbrick
12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Any special treatment needed for a brass mold. Do you need to smoke it to get it to cast well?

No need to smoke any mold. If there is a problem with a mold there are only two things smoking it can do, 1> possibly cover up the problem, 2> gunk up the mold.

If there is a problem find it and fix it. Many people smoke a mold because bullets are sticking and more often than not that's a mold temp thing though it could possibly be a bur.

Clean molds work better.

Rick

jdgabbard
12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Not just that, but I've also found that in MANY cases its actually the cheaper molds that have a problem with dropping boolits. Its usually been the cheaper (read Lee) molds, and the molds that have been modified (As an example: I have a 358242 that had the base machined off from the 120g to make it a copy of the 92g variant). Most quality molds I've had I can honestly say don't have a problem dropping boolits.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-16-2011, 12:34 AM
has any one bought a new saeco mold ? i have found 2 saeco's i might get from midway.

I've got 2 Saeco 4 cav. molds that I bought used from a friend,
He bought them brand new in the 1980s
a 411 and a 441 (41 cal and 44 cal...both SWC)
they cast excellent boolits.
the 411 has fairly small blocks compared to the 441
but it doesn't seem to matter when casting,
except that is not as heavy.
Iron molds are heavy, that's a definate drawback to Iron.

My advice is to watch the group buy section.
nothing better than to get a mold that's custom designed by one of our own
and made by a craftsman that's also one of our own.
I think of them as Limited Editions !!!
I am on the list for two right now, a 5 cav. 269 (fat 6.5mm)
and a 4 cav. John Ross 50 cal. both by NOE, His are my Favorite.
I have 5 other NOE molds...NOT even close to a LEE...and I like LEE.
Jon

41 mag fan
12-16-2011, 12:47 AM
I've got 2 Saeco 4 cav. molds that I bought used from a friend,
He bought them brand new in the 1980s
a 411 and a 441 (41 cal and 44 cal...both SWC)
they cast excellent boolits.
the 411 has fairly small blocks compared to the 441
but it doesn't seem to matter when casting,
except that is not as heavy.
Iron molds are heavy, that's a definate drawback to Iron.

My advice is to watch the group buy section.
nothing better than to get a mold that's custom designed by one of our own
and made by a craftsman that's also one of our own.
I think of them as Limited Editions !!!
I am on the list for two right now, a 5 cav. 269 (fat 6.5mm)
and a 4 cav. John Ross 50 cal. both by NOE, His are my Favorite.
I have 5 other NOE molds...NOT even close to a LEE...and I like LEE.
Jon

Kind of hard to keep them molds warm when it hits in the -0 temps isn't it?

realfisher
12-16-2011, 04:26 AM
the reason i asked about saeco molds is i am thinking about buying 2 new ones from midway to finish off my 45 acp and a 240 grain gas check. both in at least a 4 cavity.

LAH
12-16-2011, 12:16 PM
The Saeco moulds I have are fine, so are my Lyman & Ballisti-Cast. You can have all in 4 cavity.l

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Kind of hard to keep them molds warm when it hits in the -0 temps isn't it?

If this is a joke, ?? it flew over my head ??

If not...
Yeah MN is cold, but I cast inside.

MikeS
12-18-2011, 05:34 PM
If you think iron moulds are heavy, you should try a brass one! The brass moulds are the heaviest moulds per cavity, but IMHO they also cast the best boolits!

41 mag fan
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
If this is a joke, ?? it flew over my head ??

If not...
Yeah MN is cold, but I cast inside.

Yes it was a joke.
My inlaws live from Zimmerman to Maple Grove to St Cloud to Hackensac.

I cast in the garage here, and it's still to cold even in it to cast.

canyon-ghost
12-18-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-blocks.php

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&screenlabel=index&action=CategoryDisplay&categoryId=C12J059&route=C12

Shooternz
12-18-2011, 07:24 PM
I have 1, 4 cavity and 2, 2 cavity Saeco moulds, 3 Accurate 3 cavity brass, 1 Mountain molds 3 cavity Alloy, 1 NOE Alloy, 1 NEI alloy, 4 RCBS and a stack of Lyman moulds,

After buying custom moulds I won't be buying any more Lyman moulds,
none of the ones I have cast boolits the correct size the fit and finish is not good I really like Saeco and RCBS moulds and will still buy them if they turn up for sale cheap or in a design I like,

I plan on buy 3 more Accurate moulds in the new year and get in on some group buys I really want to get a MP mould a 4 cavity HP .45 in brass would be nice,
I don't shoot all the bullets I make I sell them to finance new shooting gear it's working out pretty good so far,
I also cast boolits for others using their moulds so I get to try moulds I other wise
would not own,

Also I live at the last place on earth so getting factory moulds is a long wait still waiting for a mould I ordered in march,
I got my NOE 316299 from Swede in ten days he posted it the day after I payed for it the rest was in the mail, the same with Tom and Dan can't beat the service from guys that do it them selves,
Thanks guys,
Merry Christmas
Robert.

realfisher
12-19-2011, 01:49 AM
with my bonus from work i have a rcbs pot coming and with its mold support, weight for me is not a problem. maybe in another 15 or 20 years weight will be an issue

PacMan
12-19-2011, 08:14 AM
I have only been casting for two years but have used molds from most of the mold makers listed and still have molds from Noe and MP. Have not used a Accurate mold yet but intend to order one in the near future. i mostly cast for pistol rounds but also shoot them in lever guns.

Having said that i have settled on LBT molds for the most part as long as they have the design that i want. They are the easiest to cast with,never undersized and lighter than others. A Noe 5 cavity 44cal 300 gr weighs in at 1lb 3oz while my Lbt 4 cavity .358 160 gr weighs in at 12 1/2 oz. Most of the diffrence is in the sprue plate.
Another thing that i like about the LBT molds is that the lube groves do not eat lube like some of the others. I sold an MP mold because of the overly large lube groves. I am ceretin that its lube grove held enough lube to lube three of the bullets cast from an LBT mold. With a good lube i can see no reason to use that much lube.

Down sides of THE LBT are cost and they only come in 4 cavity. I will try and post some pictures of one later today mostly to shoe the sprue plate design.

cbrick
12-19-2011, 12:04 PM
with my bonus from work i have a rcbs pot coming

Your going to enjoy that pot, this will be a Christmas bonus that you'll remember and enjoy for many years to come.

Rick

fredj338
12-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Not many options unless you go custom. The Saeco molds have always been good to me & the older Lyman 4cavs are good to go.

cuzinbruce
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
If you don't mind buying used, Hensley & Gibbs is the best I have. Followed by Cramer, Bond, Saeco, old Lyman.

Two Eyed Jack
12-20-2011, 12:46 AM
One thing I like about some Lee designs is the tumble lube option. I just got into casting and not having to get a lubricator/sizer saved a lot of coin, and time, and I am getting very good accuracy at least in my Blackhawk .41 mag. Plus getting dies and top punches for all the different designs looks daunting. Are there any of these other makers that offer tumble lube designs?

Recluse
12-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Once again, I'm the odd man out. . .

I look more at the boolit (design, shape, grooves, meplat, et al) the mold produces rather than the brand on the mold.

That often means I'll have molds of various manufacturers, which is fine with me.

:coffee:

Echo
12-20-2011, 02:24 AM
as soon as i can afford to get a rcbs or lyman casting pot, im going to, that way i can have a guide to put my mold on too.

My old Lyman and SAECO 10-pounders have stages built up out of 1 by that raises the mold to the correct level. Easy to make and attach, and takes a lot of energy-sapping wrestling away.

fredj338
12-21-2011, 04:03 PM
One thing I like about some Lee designs is the tumble lube option. I just got into casting and not having to get a lubricator/sizer saved a lot of coin, and time, and I am getting very good accuracy at least in my Blackhawk .41 mag. Plus getting dies and top punches for all the different designs looks daunting. Are there any of these other makers that offer tumble lube designs?

You can tumble lube any bullet design, results will vary. I think std lube grooves & driving bands give slightly better accuracy over a TL design.

MtGun44
12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
MikeS and cbrick are dead right on smoking, with one possible slight exception.

You can slightly shrink the boolit with heavy smoking. The problem is that most of the
time we are worried about getting BIGGER boolits, not smaller. On the rare occasion that
you want smaller, smoking will help just a bit, but isn't even very good at this.

Bill