PDA

View Full Version : 60 cal/20ga gas checks, 0.620-625" bullets

nfg
12-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Is such an animal available, or check making tools.

Thanks

tjones
12-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Freechex guy said he's sent a nearly 60 cals to Au, a custom build. A 60 cal requiring a check would certainly send you into the next county though.
tj

nfg
12-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Yeah, that for sure...I'm trying to design(with help from Turbo) a nice looking 600-650 bullet for this project and while perusing tonight came across the GC section and though I might add that into the design mix, just to keep the leading to a minimum.

Thanks for the info.

Luck

Lonegun1894
12-09-2011, 06:03 PM
While we're talking big, why stop at .62/20ga? There's a lot of .72/12ga slug guns out there, even though I'd be lying if i said mine has gotten much use. I keep telling myself I need to correct that, but havent yet. Not sure how fast it would be possible to drive a 12ga slug out of a 3.5" chambered rifled slug gun like my scope-mounted Mossberg 835, but I have thought about using brass cases with a bore size slug to try and turn it into an overgrown rifle, but I dont think my shoulder can take it for long if I did it. 2 3/4" does everything I need out of a shotgun, and the occasional 3" reminds me why I usually shoot the 2 3/4" slugs out of my Mossberg 500.

And I dont see me buying, making, or using such an animal, as standard loads (bird, buck, and slug) do well enough for me with shotguns. I am curious where the limits would be, but not so much interested in using them. Like I said, have a 3.5" slug gun, but cant handle the recoil it generates for a all day shooting session, so wont push to increase it. Would however be interested in what kind of accuracy improvements would be possible with a combination like this. WHen I first bought this shotgun, and "had" to test it, and had access to a 300yd range, it would keep 9/10 slugs on a life size human silhouete at 300 yds, but that was with the high dollar sabot (i think Hornady IIRC) that I was paying $15 for a box of 5 around 2004. Stepping down in price, I didnt find anything else that came close in accuracy, but everything was 3-4" at 100, which is minute of deer, so I quit going completely broke buying those expensive ones as I have rifles that will do the same job better and much cheaper. It did get me curious though.

FYI: When you show up with a shotgun with a bipod attached on a rifle range--expect to get some ribbing from the other shooters.

johnly
12-14-2011, 01:21 AM
I purchased a handful of copper pipe end caps that were ~.628" and I've contimplated machining a set of dies to make 1/2 jacket bullets out of them for my 20 ga. rifled Encore barrel.

John