PDA

View Full Version : Powder Measure

mentalbreakdown
12-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Hello this is my first post here, and have read some already around here. I have been reloading for about 2 yrs now with my lee O-frame press, a digita scale, and a lee scale, my .357 mag, and .38 special rounds with power pistol powder with great success, but I want it to go a little faster. I am a little confused about usig the lee perfect powder measure on the press itself to save me a set, and only have to wiegh a few intead of every single time. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Trey45
12-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Welcome to the forum. I assume you have a reloading manual, or possibly even more than one. Have you read them? Most modern manuals cover the basics pretty well. If you don't already have this one, I'd recommend it to any new reloader.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/484416/lee-modern-reloading-2nd-edition-reloading-manual

Basically, once you have your powder measure set, it throws a charge every pull supposedly the same each pull. Every so often you pull a case and weigh it to make sure your settings aren't throwing a different weight than you want. Some powders meter better than others. Flake powders normally meter all over the place, while ball powders normally meter identical one throw to the next.

mentalbreakdown
12-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes I have a speer reloading manual I use, plus another one on te bookshelf. I am not confused about how the measure works, just unsure of how to use a lee perfect powder measure on the press, through the expander die.

Trey45
12-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Here's the directions.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/AP1704.pdf

There are adapters available, I bought mine on ebay. We cannot post ebay links here, so here's the item number you need from ebay. 160513461942. That's the one I use, it works exceptionally well.

mentalbreakdown
12-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok thanks looks like I would be better off with the auto disk? I am also wanting to start reloading my 30-06 wenever I can buy the dies, powder and bullets here soon

Trey45
12-07-2011, 02:00 PM
I don't know about better off, I use some of the auto disc, they can be a pain to adjust especially when going from small charges to large charges, you have to take the dang thing apart to do it, the Perfect Powder Measure is a simple micrometer type adjustment bar, for rifles you'd need the Lee Rifle Charging Die # 90194, and the adapter. I use the perfect powder measure for my 38-55 loading, here's a close up of the set up I use for my Dillon 550B.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=4609

mentalbreakdown
12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Well I guess for around $30 I will try the perfect powder measure, without anything else, and see how it works, then get theother stuff at a later date.

Maven
12-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Ok thanks looks like I would be better off with the auto disk? I am also wanting to start reloading my 30-06 wenever I can buy the dies, powder and bullets here soon

The Lee Auto Disk will work with the powder-thru-expanding dies which are included with [complete] Lee pistol/revolver sets. Although it is consistently accurate with powders such as Bullseye and Unique, you'll find that it also consistently undercharges cases if you use the data Lee provides. In short, you're going to have to weigh and record exactly how much of a charge of Powder X a given cavity throws. To get a heavier (or lighter) charge, you'll have to repeat the process. Ditto for any other powder you use. Furthermore, you'll need either a Universal Charging Die or a Rifle Charging die to load .30-06 cases, neither of which will expand the neck as does the Powder-thru-Expand pistol die, their universal expanding die, or the Lyman/RCBS "M" die. Lastly, the Auto Disk measure throws very accurate charges of ball rifle powders, but isn't my first choice with extruded powders. Btw, the double disk kit, although a pain to use, will allow you to drop a large charge of WC 860, a very slow milsurp ball powder, for CB shooting in the .30-06.

mentalbreakdown
12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Ok thanks for the info