PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know a leather worker I can get to make me a couple decent belts?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Title says it all. I'm sick and tired of paying my money for those junk belts at wally world, only to have them come apart in a week or two. I want a couple of leather belts like the ones I grew up using.

If anyone knows of a leather worker associated with the Cast Boolits forum that would be willing to make me a couple belts, please let me know his nickname.

Thank you,

Dave

OneSkinnyMass
12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I recently saw a post by GoodSteel with a pic of a holster he worked, might send him a PM.

para45lda
12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Whyteleather?

45nut
12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?do=getinfo&u=511

He can fix ya right up.

clintsfolly
12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Springfield is a leather worker he a made me a ammo holder that turned out nice. IF he can't do it PM me and I may make you one or two. Just remember i maybe easy but not cheap! Clint

starmac
12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
There are several members here, that make some rather amazing leather goods.

midnight
12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Whyteleather must be good. He spells his name the same as I do. Since it's not common, we might be related.

Bob Whyte

Alvarez Kelly
12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
PM sent.

BD
12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I just ordered a replacement for my 10 year old Beltman belt. He say's he's making them better these days, so they should last longer :) Not cheap, but the double layer bull hide will hold your holster up over the long run.

I have no connection to this guy other than being a customer. This is a no shiite every day for 10 years carrying a gun belt. I make other belts, collars holsters and rig for myself. But I can't make a belt as good as his for the money, so I buy these.

Pay attention to the ordering instructions to get the length right.

http://www.thebeltman.net/index.htm

mroliver77
12-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Freedom475 is a vender sponsor here on CB. He does GREAT work and is a top notch fellow!

http://www.7xleather.com/

J

1911sw45
12-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I have a belt from Beltman. It is a horse hide/bull hide with the stiffener it's 1 3/4". Paid well over 200 bux for it. It started cracking with in 6 months. He wanted to blame it on my sweat. This is my every day gun belt. He told me not to let it get wet with sweat. Did not want to do any thing for it except tell me to use some mink oil I think. I am not very happy with him or his products. I will never deal with him again.

Adam

MT Gianni
12-06-2011, 11:40 PM
For an over the counter belt I like Carhartt. I bought one 4 years ago for atound $30. One piece thick leather that has been scraped, rubbed and worn so that the outside is not near as dark as the inside. I pack a cell, leatherman and occasional other tools for work on it. The only thing I have done is mink oil every winter. It is still in good shape and worn 5-7 days a week.

contender1
12-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Jackson Western Wear in Asheville NC is an excellent leather crafter. They are serious SASS shooters, AND support the local Friends of the NRA. You can call them at; 828-254-1812 & ask for John or "otter" in the leather shop. Tell them Tyrone sent ya!

JIMinPHX
12-07-2011, 12:33 AM
A board member that goes by the name of doubleadobe did some nice leather work for me a while back. You can see a bit of it here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=110161

If I needed more leather work done, he'd be the first guy that I would turn to.

Ajax
12-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Living near amish country i just buy amish made belts. One piece harness thick leather. I carry a 1911 every day and havent had any issues with it.

Andy

Hardcast416taylor
12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Amish harness leather belts just keep on lasting. My current belt I`m wearing is 10 yrs. old - and doesn`t look like it. IIRC I paid $12 for it with brass clip corner buckle and rivets.Robert

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Those Amish belts sound interesting. Any way to contact those folks and order one from Georgia?

BD
12-07-2011, 01:51 PM
My Beltman belt is the more simple 1 1/4" double bull hide. I paid $50.00 for it 10 years ago. The one I just ordered to replace it is 1 1/2" and was $80. I like them because they are not as obvious, fit in any pant loops and are really really stiff.

The Amish belts sound interesting. When I was in college in Lancaster, PA I bought grains and vegetables from the Amish regularly. Non of their shops had electricity, so I doubt if they're doing any on-line sales :)

There's a hardware store in Ohio that does on line sales and carries stuff the Amish use such as Aladin lamp parts and timber framing tools. When I remember the name of the place I'll look and see if they carry the belts.
BD

Mk42gunner
12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
It isn't custom, but I wore a Bianchi B-9 belt for years, until I outgrew it. They are expensive compared to Wallyworld belts, but they last a heck of a lot longer too.

Robert

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-07-2011, 05:08 PM
It isn't custom, but I wore a Bianchi B-9 belt for years, until I outgrew it. They are expensive compared to Wallyworld belts, but they last a heck of a lot longer too.

Robert

Wally world belts last of two weeks, so anything that costs more, but lasts like it ought to, is a much better bargain.

Kraschenbirn
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Dave...

Unless you've got your heart set on something custom, you might take a look at Duluth Trading Company. ( www.duluthtrading.com ). They're kinda like L.L. Bean used to be but specializing in "working" as opposed to "sporting" apparel.

Bill

Lee W
12-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Whyteleather must be good. He spells his name the same as I do. Since it's not common, we might be related.

Bob Whyte

Three Whytes on this board? Interesting.

I have a belt from Mr Whyte and from here:

http://www.agcustomgunleather.com/catalog.php?category=6

Both very nice.

Lee Whyte

waksupi
12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Dave...

Unless you've got your heart set on something custom, you might take a look at Duluth Trading Company. ( www.duluthtrading.com (http://www.duluthtrading.com) ). They're kinda like L.L. Bean used to be but specializing in "working" as opposed to "sporting" apparel.

Bill

I got one of theirs, that they claimed just got better with age. After two years, it was falling apart. I complained, never heard one word back from them. Felt ripped off.

Love Life
12-07-2011, 09:58 PM
I have been considering these guys

http://shop.tennesseeholstercompany.com/FREE-SHIPPING-on-Heavy-Leather-Belts-Heavy-Leather-Belt-SPECIAL.htm

It looks like a good solid belt, but I am always nervous ordering belts online.

There was a vendor here at the Big Reno Gun Show who had awesome harness leather belts for $40. I should have bought one then, but hindsight is 20/20. I believe they are out of Oregon.

Houndog
12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I have been considering these guys

http://shop.tennesseeholstercompany.com/FREE-SHIPPING-on-Heavy-Leather-Belts-Heavy-Leather-Belt-SPECIAL.htm

It looks like a good solid belt, but I am always nervous ordering belts online.

You don't have to worry about the quality of anything made by "Captain Itch"! He's been around a LONG time, won't do anything but first class work, and you can take what he tells you as gospel truth. He's old school all the way.

Love Life
12-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks houndog. I didn't mean to question his quality or integrity and I'm sorry I came off that way. I am nervous ordering belts because I am afraid I will measure something wrong and get a belt too small!! All operator error on my part.

Alstep
12-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Go to a farm supply store and get yourself a leather cow coller. My first one took 30 years to wear out, picked up another one a few years ago. Heavy buckle and "D" ring like a safety belt. Still under $20. Tractor Supply, Agway, or any feed and farm dealer has them.
Keep your powder dry, Al

BD
12-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I can make myself a better belt than I can by from Duluth, (and I do buy work clothes from them). I have tooling leather on hand. What I can not do with tooling leather, or harness leather, is make a very stiff belt that has the dimensions and appearance of an average belt, but does not sag at the gun. That takes hard tanned bullhide, or horsehide. Leather that is thinner than your average single layer "work belt", but is tanned very stiff, like the sole of a traditional dress shoe. A quality belt will use two top grain layers, back to back. This is what I want for a concealed carry belt. I also want a "fitted" belt, (the belt straps are cut on a curve so the belt stays vertical as it encircles your waist). This curve means that the blanks for a good gun belt cannot be mass produced on a strap splitter. The picture shows the curve of a fitted belt. This is the belt that's been supporting my handgun everyday for the last ten years. It's still pretty darn stiff around the waist, but it's wearing out at the buckle.
BD

Blammer
12-09-2011, 07:02 PM
check out the "beltman" look him up on the internet. I got one of his leather belts about 4-5 yrs ago, I love it!