PDA

View Full Version : Worn Ram on Herters Press

paul edward
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
After a mere 48 years use, my Herters press has developed some ram wobble.

Wear on the back of the ram or in the frame casting allows the ram to move in and out causing poor alignment of shells going into a die. Wobble is worst with the ram up. There is no side to side wobble.

I'm hoping that someone here has fixed this kind of problem and can share tips and techniques.

pergoman
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
If you are not a machinist or don't know one who will work for peanuts, I suspect that it will be cheaper to buy a new press. Anything can be fixed....but at what cost? Devcon plastic steel and similar products could handle the job but they will need to be machined. The ram likely could use some trueing too.
Its a damn shame that things don't last forever. That press was built to be right, not cheap. It has served you well.

Wally
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I have a vintage Herters C press from 1972..almost 40- years old. It has some "slop" in at as does my 1980 RCBS Rockchucker....but no problem with the alignment of the shellholders. I wipe the ram clean and coat with a heavy wheel bearing grease--you may want to try that...

Pavogrande
12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
You might try adding a bit of shim stock at the rear of the bore.
I expect finding feathered shim stock is no longer possible but perhaps two layers of a couple thou at the very back and one layer toward the sides may help.
I think "super glue" would hold providing there are no edges to catch.
my tuppence

Char-Gar
12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
drill and tap a hole in the back of the press and install a long set screw. Adjust the screw to bear against the ram and return it to proper alignment.

3006guns
12-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Disassemble press. Measure ram for being out of round. If it's still good, bore the frame casting to accept a press fit bronze insert. Bore the insert to fit the ram with a tolerance of .001". Oil and reassemble press.

That would be the CORRECT way to do it, but as already mentioned it would be far cheaper to look for a new press and use the Herters for a door stop or mailbox decoration.

Reg
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Compared to a lot of whats out there today--- I would bore and sleeve the frame and if needed, make a new ram.
With the right equipment it's not much of a deal to do.

:popcorn:

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Compared to a lot of whats out there today--- I would bore and sleeve the frame and if needed, make a new ram.
With the right equipment it's not much of a deal to do.

:popcorn:

CH4d sells a "universal" C press ram for$22. It might work for replacing the ram.

skeettx
12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Paul Edward
What Herters press, how is the shell holder attached?
I may be able to assist

Can you post a picture of your press and also of the ram?

Mike

keyhole
12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Paul Edward

I have a Herters Model 3 C press I bought new in '72. The problem with mine is that the pin which attaches the linkage to the bottom of the ram is loose. It keeps backing out of the hole. When it backs out it hits the bottom of the casting as you lower the handle to raise the ram. If yours is a model 3 I would be happy to send you my ram to experiment with. I retired the press and replaced it with a Lee Classic.
The Herters was built like a tank and weighed only slightly less. Someone mentioned using it for a doorstop. It could hold open any door I have ever seen.
Mine has slop as others have described in that the ram moves around inside the bore a little. I always thought that the way spent primers dropped into the slot in the ram allowed grit and junk to get caught betweeen the ram and the bore. Over thousands of cycles, it acted like a grinding compound.

Keyhole

1hole
12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't be concerned about the slack. It's unlikely to do harm and may even be an asset for accurate ammo.

We can't and don't even need to force a case into a die straight, they WILL self-align UNLESS the parts are misaligned and are so tightly fitted they can't freely move as they need to. That's the primary reason BR shooters use hand-held dies and arbor presses; with such total 'loosness' they are avoiding any potential misfit between the die and press that would prevent easy self aligning.

Reg
12-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Keyhole,
You could put in a set screw on the ram, that should hold that pin.

The C&H ram would have to be 1 1/4" in dia. and be the correct length, etc, etc.

scrapcan
12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I agree with Reg, check the ram and bore and install bronze bushing. But as others have said one needs to amke their money go as far as possible. Just remember your local machinists also need to work to earn a paycheck. Nothing wrong with keeping your money local if you can. and if the old press has lots of shellholders, you get to buy a new set of those also so add that to the cost of the new press.

keyhole
12-09-2011, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=Reg;1494082]Keyhole,
You could put in a set screw on the ram, that should hold that pin.

Thanks for the idea, Reg, but I already replaced the Herter's with a Lee. I still have two Model 3 frames plus one ram that I don't need anymore that are just sitting out in the garage. I sold the shellholders so the presses are orphans. They served me well for a long time.

Keyhole

Reg
12-09-2011, 05:42 AM
Keyhole,
Just a thought, you might want to put those Model 3 frames and ram in swappen and selling here. Make you a couple of bux and let some else have a crack at some nice equipment.
Also help clear out your garage. If yours is anything like mine, it needs all the help it can get !!!!

:lol:

paul edward
12-09-2011, 09:36 PM
This is a Herters Super 3 press.

In the pictures, the blob on the back of the press is an old speaker magnet holding Allen wrenches. For those not familiar with these presses, the shell holders are held in place by Allen screws.

Thanks for all of the fix suggestions. Based on these, I have decided to drill a hole in the back of the ram opening and install a spring and a ball bearing. This should apply enough pressure to the ram to keep it aligned.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/39384ee2b6303625b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2933)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/39384ee2b646b731b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2934)

Pressman
12-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Paul your idea will work - BUT the rams are soft and the ball bearing will quickly wear a groove in the ram.

Your press is a transition model. There are not too many just like it. It was made in 1960/61. Herter's began a series of upgrades then and yours has most of them. What is missing is the ball bearing and set screw on the left side of the frame along with a circular groove inn the ram. This was designed to hold the handle up. It worked, sort of. The screw had to be tightened a lot to keep the heavy handle from dropping. If it was not loosened enough it would groove the ram.
Ken

Pavogrande
12-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Try a nylon ball or plug -- perhaps even a nylon screw and lock nut -

milprileb
12-09-2011, 10:52 PM
All I got to say is How Lucky in Life you are to reload that much to wear that press out !

We are talking some serious shooting and you were blessed to have that much !

I would pulse this board for a machinist to do the right repair and use it another life time of reloading.

keyhole
12-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Keyhole,
Just a thought, you might want to put those Model 3 frames and ram in swappen and selling here. Make you a couple of bux and let some else have a crack at some nice equipment.:lol:

I'll see if they will fit in one of the USPS priority mail boxes. Otherwise, the freight would be considerable. If there is anyone in the Seattle area who wants these in a FTF deal, they can just have them for free. Thanks for the thoughts, Reg.

Keyhole

Reg
12-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Keyhole, If I were close I would grab them in a heartbeat, they are that good.
Anyway, the idea of using the spring and ball to put pressure on the ram --Pressman is right. I too have one of the models that has that feature. I installed it and sure enough, it wore a groove on the ram in very short order. I took it out, cleaned up the ram and never used it again.
Pavogrande , I think, is on the right track, the spring loaded nylon plug might just do the trick.
My press dates to December 1962 and is still tight as a drum and it has seen I think a lot more than its fair share of use. One thing I have done is keep the ram clean and lightly lubed with WD 40 and also keep the whole press covered when not in use.

paul edward
12-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Pavogrande wrote: "Try a nylon ball or plug -- perhaps even a nylon screw and lock nut."

Good Idea. Thank you.

Pavogrande
12-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Keyhole -- my bad luck, I was just in eatonville and alder last weekend -