PDA

View Full Version : The Best Size Ball for an Old Plains Rifle

grullaguy
12-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I took an original plains rifle of mine to a fellow who collects and restores guns. I wanted to know if I could bring it back to shooting condition.
After looking down the bore, the verdict was "highly likely".

Now I need to select the right size ball to shoot in the rifle. It has what appears to be, a six sided bore with the grooves measuring .466" and the lands measuring .450". The grooves are situated in the corners of the six sides.

Does Lee have a ball that would fit well when patched?
I see .445", 451", .454" and .456" listed.

I think one of these should work and if not there is always Jeff Tanner custom moulds.
What do you think would be the optimum size ball for this bore?

Thank you

Mk42gunner
12-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd try a .440 or .445" ball, depnding on pacth thickness. Any idea of the twist?" From your description it sounds a lot like Whitworth rifling, which was 1:20, in which case you would need a conical not a round ball.

Robert

grullaguy
12-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd try a .440 or .445" ball, depnding on pacth thickness. Any idea of the twist?" From your description it sounds a lot like Whitworth rifling, which was 1:20, in which case you would need a conical not a round ball.

Robert

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k554/boolitcaster/PC050436.jpg

I will try to provide a better photo when I get some of the rust out.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Just what did you do beside looking at it to bring it back to shooting condition.

All I see in your post is a rusty bore and specuation? I don't mean to be too critical but the last 1/2" of of a rusty bore has little to do with shooting condition.

BvT

docone31
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
I might consider sending the barrel out for a "freshing".
On
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php
There might be someone who can do it.
With "freshing", you will need a different size anyway. Then you could get the mold made, or you might be able to use a standard mold.
It does look like "freshing" might be an upgrade that would be worthwhile.
A good find.

grullaguy
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Yesterday I took it to a competent gun restorer, who with the aid of a bore light, deemed it to be salvageable.

I took that photo yesterday, before I started work on it.

I had hoped that the photo perhaps would aid in determining if it had Whitworth Rifling or not.

grullaguy
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
If it is anything weird like Whitworth Rifling, or it does not group with any of the .45 balls that other club members have, I will seriously look at getting it freshened to .50 at 1 at 60", if possible.

waksupi
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Keep us updated on your progress.

Maven
12-06-2011, 08:41 PM
If it is anything weird like Whitworth Rifling, or it does not group with any of the .45 balls that other club members have, I will seriously look at getting it freshened to .50 at 1 at 60", if possible.

If you are seriously considering "freshing it out," consider Ed Rayl: W.E. Rayl P.O. Box 91 Gassaway,West Virginia 26624 Phone 1-304-364-8269

Chill Wills
12-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Mr Grullaguy,

Not trying to stick my nose in but you might want to find out about this rifle before "fixing it". Just my two cents and I know, you did not ask for it.

Are there any makers’ marks on the rifle? Would you care to post a picture of the whole rifle? The front sight says it is not a long-range ML but still, a Whittworth type barrel is not common.

Could be despite the rough condition you have a very collectable gem. Firearm historian Tom Roe has some books on this and other books are available too. Tom does take phone calls

Best of luck!

grullaguy
12-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Mr Grullaguy,

Not trying to stick my nose in but you might want to find out about this rifle before "fixing it". Just my two cents and I know, you did not ask for it.

Are there any makers’ marks on the rifle? Would you care to post a picture of the whole rifle? The front sight says it is not a long-range ML but still, a Whittworth type barrel is not common.

Could be despite the rough condition you have a very collectable gem. Firearm historian Tom Roe has some books on this and other books are available too. Tom does take phone calls

Best of luck!

I was speaking to the man who was advising me on how to clean the weapon yesterday. I was having some difficulty in finding the required tools to restore the weapon. He has now asked that I bring the rifle back so he can clean it, as he has all the required supplies.

I asked him if the rifle had Whitworth rifling and he said no.

I have more photos here:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/263806/

grullaguy
12-12-2011, 03:06 PM
The barrel has been appraised and the bottom 6 inches of the bore is corroded enough that there is a noticeably larger interior cavity. With out re-boring or sleeving, the rifle is unshootable.

After some soul searching, I have decided to replace the missing thimble and ram rod and do nothing else which might compromise the rifles value.