PDA

View Full Version : Any coin collectors on the site?

borderman
02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
My father collected coins for many years. After he passed away in 1986 my mother began giving me coins for about every birthday and Christmas. I have all his collection now and just can't appreciate it. Looking at old bills and coins is about as boring a hobby as I can imagine, can't compare to looking at old firearms. I would like to dispose of it but have no idea how to go about it. The dealer he frequented has since passed away and the few local shops have little appeal, they sell other stuff like baseball cards and used furniture. Maybe there is not enough market in a city this size (70,000 in 2001). Since I know nothing about the subject I am *very* hesitant to take the collection to someone I don't know for disposal. The subject came to a head last night when Mom called to tell me she found a $125 receipt for a half-dollar purchased in 1983. Wow, there might be enough money involved to buy a target rifle if I knew how to proceed. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

felix
02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
My family has been involved in that for years, except for the last 10 or so. Back then the internet was not strong enough for the talk boards. You need to know exactlywhich each coin is worth on the open market. So, start the process by going to the talk boards and present what you have, bringing up a new coin every once in a while. Never state quantity. When you have an idea, PM me and I will tell you some honest folks in the business. Some of those coins probably should not be sold at this time. That's why I am telling you this. ... felix

C1PNR
02-22-2007, 06:42 PM
I think having coins of the same vintage as some of my rifles or pistols, or even reproductions for that matter, is REALLY neat.

Some day I want to go to "End of Trail" with a pocket full of coins, etc., dated in the 1870's!

Of course, I also have a couple of swords manufactured in the 1860's, too. But that's another story.:coffee:

CT Kid
02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I used to collect coins back in the 70s. I came to discover that I would rather have something useful and sold them to buy my John Deer tractor! :-D

Take the coins to a reputable dealer and get them appraised, some can be quite valuable. Others look pretty but are not worth much. Coins that don't have much value are Franklin half dollars, Washington quarters, Rosevelt dimes and Lincoln pennies. Although there are some exceptions with rare dates or double strike coins. Indian head pennies, "walking liberty half dollars and dollars can be quite valuable in excellent condition.

Hope this helps.

waksupi
02-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Look at the coins on Ebay. it may give you an idea of value on some of them.

I've never been a real collector. We did used to find lots of Indian head pennies, and buffalo nickles around the great grandparents old house many years ago. No idea how they got scattered around so, but we would find them under several inches of dirt, or washed out in spring rains.
Last coin I found, was an 1889 silver dollar, when elk hunting around some old mines. I found it in 1989, so figured it would be good luck. Must not have been, no elk that year!

scrapcan
02-22-2007, 10:55 PM
I think you should do a little research on your own before you venture out into teh open market place. You may not be interested in the ocins, but someone else may be interested in getting them cheap and if you have no idea you have to take their word for their worth. Kovels should have a coin collection book.

They can be a pain to identify due to mint marks and little rarities, but that is what your dad would have been looking for. He surely bought things he kew were valuable, so do his memory good and learn about him. He would be very proud if you did.

And remember nobody is going to look after you like you will.