PDA

View Full Version : More or less

bearcove
12-06-2011, 02:32 AM
With a mid range rifle like a 350 rem mag or a 35 whelen

Is a Loverin style or a single loob groove style better?

Bret4207
12-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Which is better- Chevy or Ford? Or Dodge? It all depends on the individual gun, boolit design, fit, load, lube, barrel, throat, alloy, etc. etc., etc. I like Loverins, but 35 cal Loverins are kinda rare. Single lube grooves can work and can multiple grooves. It's the guy doing the loading that matters as much as the basic design.

FWIW, I consider the 350 and 35W to be medium bore, not mid range loadings, if that is what you meant.

sqlbullet
12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Chevy and single lube groove....duh :grin:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bret nailed it. Gonna depend on the gun and the load. Both designs have advantages and drawbacks, and finding out what works for you is the fun part.

Larry Gibson
12-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Most .350 Mags and Whelens are going to have a fairly short throat. That necessitates, with medium to heavy cast bullets of Lovern design, seating the GC below the case neck on the .350 Mag for sure and probably on the Whelen. Some don't mind doing that but with softer alloys for hunting bullets it could be a problem. A more modern design like the RCBS 35-200-FN or the Saeco #356 200 gr FN will have a lube "groove" in front of the GC and a single lube groove + the crimp groove. Both will fit perfectly in the 350 Mag case neck and the longer Whelen neck. The Saeco ##352 245 gr FN will fit perfectly in the Whelen neck but may prove necessary to seat the GC below the case neck in the 350 Mag.

One could always ream the throat longer if the magazine will allow a longer cartridge OAL for use of the Lovern style in either or for the Saeco #352 in the .350 Mag. I've found the RCBS bullet to be excellent in the .35 Rem, 350 Mag and the .35 Whelen with no necessity to ream the throats longer.

Larry Gibson