PDA

View Full Version : Scope base for Spanish Mauser

Castinoff
12-06-2011, 12:19 AM
I have a large ring Spanish 98 Mauser marked "Fabrica De Armas" , "La Coruna" and "7.92 cal.". The mfg. date was obliterated by a drilled hole.
The problem is I want to mount a scope base and so far, cannot. This rifle has been drilled and tapped twice in front of the receiver and once in the rear (behind the stripper clip hump). The front tapped holes are correct for a 2 piece Weaver base but the rear won't work because the base has two holes and only one has been drilled because there is only about 5/8" between the back of the stripper clip "hump" and the cut out for the bolt, not enough length for a second hole.
Is anyone familiar with this particular rifle and problem?

Larry Gibson
12-06-2011, 02:22 AM
The hole spacing is for a one piece base of Leupold or Redfield make. Hole spacing is the same for both bases.

Larry Gibson

Castinoff
12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks Larry for your advice. I see now how the Leopold or Redding base fits. I was hoping to use the Weaver type mount as I already have the rings and they are much less expensive but.............
Anyway, thanks again.

Larry Gibson
12-06-2011, 08:53 PM
You could put a "filler" screw in the rear hole and have it D&T'd for the rear Weaver base. The front hole spacing is the same for the Weaver front base. However, the cost unless you can do it yourself would be as much as the 1 piece base. Besides the one pice base wiith it's windage adjustment can correct windage problems easily if the barrel isn't striaght or the holes aren't drilled correctly. Weaver bases can't.

Larry Gibson

leadman
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
B-square makes a one piece base that is relieved for the stripper clip guide and takes Weaver style rings.

Castinoff
12-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the tip Leadman but B Square has discontinued this base (#15010). I tried but couldn't find one.

roverboy
12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Too bad about the B-Square base. Its a good one. I've got one on my Turk 38 and 1916 Spanish.