PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Gas Check Seater question

max range
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Will the Lyman Gas Check Seater fit and work in a 45 lubri-sizer?

12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Yep, works in the 45, 450, and the 4500.

One came with the 4500 but have never used it, as I don't see the need for it.

John Boy
12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Lyman FAQ's ...
Q: Can I use this for the old style 45 sizer?
A: No, this will only fit onto the Lyman 4500, 450 models and the RCBS model.

Reload3006
12-06-2011, 11:10 AM
one came with my 4500. I have not used it. I always seated checks in my 45 by just putting them on the bullet and running it through the sizer. still doing it that way. and when i swage my lead bullets if i want gas checked i just swage it in place.

Lefty SRH
12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Is the gas check seater and the sizing die two different steps? Or can you seat a GC and size the bullet all at once?

12-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Lyman FAQ's ...
Q: Can I use this for the old style 45 sizer?
A: No, this will only fit onto the Lyman 4500, 450 models and the RCBS model.

Hmmm . . . I may have been mis-informed. In addition to the 4500, in which I've not tried the seater, I have a 45. I'll have to look into this, as I don't want to give wrong information.

Sonnypie
12-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Is the gas check seater and the sizing die two different steps? Or can you seat a GC and size the bullet all at once?

The Lee push-through sizer does that. One of the appealing features is it pushes the gas check to the base of the boolit as it sizes the whole she-bang.

12-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Okay, I tried installing the seater on the 45 and it does not fit. The 450 and 4500's adjusting screw is 3/8", while the 45's is 13/32".

Anyway, it's a moot point, as gas checks can be installed without using the seater.

By the way, the source that said it would work on the 45 was Mr. Venterino, on page 48 in the 4th edition of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Just one of the many editing errors that it contains.

John Boy
12-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Truthfully, I hardly ever use the Lyman GC Seater.
The fastest and easiest way is to use the Lee Lube/Sizer with the specific sizing die

John Boy
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
... the source that said it would work on the 45 was Mr. Venterino, on page 48 in the 4th edition of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Just one of the many editing errors that it contains.
462, Mike's article in the Lyman 4th is primarily nothing more than a cut and paste of his 1992 book and is geared for the just starting novice shooters - a lot of basics. Now, as for Robert Block's write ups in the 4th ... Metallurgy of Bullets , that is a one of a kind classic! Very informative with all the technical data to back it up. I had to read it 3 times to fully appreciate the provided information

BTW gents, the 4th Edition is an excellent reference with all the non Lyman bullet loading data. Bandwidth on many forums would decrease substantially if folks would put this 4th Edition in their reference library

12-06-2011, 05:06 PM
John Boy,
I haven't got to Mr. Block's article, yet. but very much look forward to it. Mr. Marshall's metallurgy article, in Lyman's 3rd edition, is very informative and educational.

Your point about forum bandwidth reduction is well put. Further reductions would be made if members would read the stickies and do some research, prior to asking questions.

hiram
12-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Lefty-

If you use the the gas check seater, that would be the first step.
After seating the gc's, remove the gc seater and size. That's step 2.

You could seat and size in one step by not using the gc tool.

I have the gc tool, but I first try squeezing it on with my fingers. If is snaps on, go onto the boolit.

I have also made a pair of leather jaw covers that slip over channel lock pliers and I can seat gc'c with that tool. If want a pic, let me know.

Pigslayer
12-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I had never used the GC seater until recently. I too thought that just putting the GC on & sizing did the job . . . & it did . . . about 95% of the time. But every once in a while when I would raise the bullet out of the die, the GC stayed in the die. Frustrating! Not often, but once in a while. I bought a GC seater for little to nothing & there is a definite difference. The GC goes on nice & square & I haven't had one come off the bullet since. It takes a little longer but, I don't mind 'cause it's fun.