PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Washer -Lube-A-Matic 2

Mike W1
12-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Had kind of forgotten as I hadn't lubed anything for a long time. My records tell me that the fiber washer usually went bad around the 8500 lubed bullets mark and I had to replace one today to finish up lubing a batch.

When I contacted RCBS on this years ago they said they'd not had any other complaints at the time and in fact sent me another "stem" assembly for my luber free of charge.

Still have that problem and wondered if any of you others have run into this same thing?

Calamity Jake
12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
What fiber washer? I've had a LMA II for 30+ years, no fiber washers anywhere, now an
"O" ring is a different story, have replaced it once in that 30+ years.

Mike W1
12-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Then maybe your's isn't a "2". Part number 80055 Fiber washer fits on the lube pressure screw between the lube plunger and the top of the lube pressure screw. It's sure as heck on mine, and I've replaced it a number of times.

Mike W1
12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Actually fits into the bottom side of the threaded reservoir cap. (Couldn't seem to edit and add this to previous post.)

shaune509
12-08-2011, 12:48 AM
That washer can be replaced with a copper/brass washer of same size and probably last forever. The paper/fiber washer is used as a anti friction joint between the screw shoulder and the piston that should not rotate. The paper will degrade from the oils etc in the verious lubes. Go to lowes or ace or home depo and look for a copper replacement. It may be labled as a crush washer used on drain plugs, diesel fuel lines etc. Hope this helps .
Shaune509

Mike W1
12-08-2011, 11:11 AM
That washer can be replaced with a copper/brass washer of same size and probably last forever. The paper/fiber washer is used as a anti friction joint between the screw shoulder and the piston that should not rotate. The paper will degrade from the oils etc in the verious lubes. Go to lowes or ace or home depo and look for a copper replacement. It may be labled as a crush washer used on drain plugs, diesel fuel lines etc. Hope this helps .
Shaune509

Good idea, I'll make that a "todo" and give it a try. Thanks!

41 mag fan
12-09-2011, 07:35 PM
How do ytou know when the fiber washer goes out?

Mike W1
12-09-2011, 10:46 PM
How do ytou know when the fiber washer goes out?

When you're cranking the pressure up it will feel "gritty" best as I can describe it. I've replaced a few in mine in the past so it was easily recognized again.

41 mag fan
12-09-2011, 10:50 PM
So what does it hurt or problems does it cause when it's out?

Mike W1
12-10-2011, 12:52 PM
So what does it hurt or problems does it cause when it's out?

Well you aren't gonna like that "gritty" feel and it's not doing the job it's supposed to as mentioned in Shane 's post above. I would suppose it'll wear on the parts it's in there to protect. I'm going copper washing shopping as he suggested.

41 mag fan
12-10-2011, 08:46 PM
OK, that answered that question. Thanks Mike

DLCTEX
12-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Now I've got to take mine down to see if it has the fiber washer. I don't get any gritty feel when cranking pressure, but I've had it for 7 years (bought used) and it's done many thousands of boolits.