PDA

View Full Version : A Heart Felt Thank You, Christmas for Needy Kids

41 mag fan
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
At Thanksgiving I sold some Zambini lube to help sponsor 2 needy kids for Christmas. Me and my wife always try to sponsor 2 kids, that might not get anything or not much at all this time of year.
We feel like we are blessed, making the money we do, and when we want we just go buy to begin with.
I remember 20 yrs ago, what it was like having 2 kids, and only making $7.75/hr at my old job. We had to rely on the coat a kid program to provide us coats and shoes for the kids for the winter and having to go to the food bank to help on food. Plus I remember my parents helping us buy gifts for the kids. I never forgot that and I never will.

10 yrs ago, my mother and I bought a 5 yr old a bicycle for Christmas. The father had died earlier that year, in a car wreck, I believe. The mother had given birth just a few months after the father died. But my mother delivered the mail, the boy would come gett it from her, mom would ask him everyday what he wanted for Christmas. He'd get real excited and say he wanted a bicycle. That Christmas, we went in with mom and bought that child a bicycle, put a bow tie on it and mom delivered it when she took them their mail.
She told the little boy, Santa didn't have room in the sliegh and wanted her to give it to him.
Everyday till the house sold that spring, he would ride the bicycle out to get the mail from mom, even in the snow!!
After feeling as good as I did about it, I remembered what it was like when I was poor, and ever since then, I have helped 2 kids for Christams ever since, plus donate food to a food bank this time of year.

I decided to sell the lube to help fund the 2 kids we'll sponsor for Christmas, besides what we'll be buying from our Christmas Club money.

But long story short, I sold the Zambini to Cdet69 and Johnk454.
I want to thank both of them for the sale.
I hope they found the lube satisfactory.

After posting to Johnk454 what I was doing with the sale, I recieved his check for more than what I sold the lube for. He wanted me to use it to help buy for the kids we'll be sponsoring.

Not shortly afterwards, I recieved a post from Frank Martinez asking for my address so he could help us help the kids.

I received a money order today.

This is a heartfelt THANK YOU to Cdet69, Johnk454 and Frank Martinez for helping me make 2 kids christmas extra special this year.

I will be sponsoring 2 boys, was hoping for a boy and a girl, but I will gratefully buy for them.

The boys' ages are 5 and 7.

I really hope the 7 year old still believes in Santa.

Theres nothing greater in this world than seeing a childs eyes Christmas morning, and thinking Santa came when they were asleep and delivered them presents.

Again Thank You.

I will be posting pics of the gifts I will buy for the 2 boys we're sponsoring.
I feel lucky to have the opportunity to make these 2 boys Christmas a happy one.

Correction.....My son just brought the 2 tags off the tree from work home for me, I've got a 5 yr old boy and a 5 yr old girl to buy for!!

Olevern
12-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Good on you and the missus.

This year I bought a 12 year old a guitar and practice amp, another (14 y.o.) am MP3 player and tomorrow I am going out with the 12 year old to let him pick out sixty dollars worth of toys for his little nephew.

Oh, and gave another 12 year old his mother for Christmas, just sent him out to Texas on a plane, he hasn't seen his mother for four years and his dad wouldn't pay for the plane fare, so I did. He will be staying with his mother at least till the end of the school year, and possibly beyond, things not going too well for him here with his dad.

Hated to see the little guy go, 'cause he spent most every day with my wife and I over the last three years, sometimes living with us for weeks or months at a time when his dad didn't have a place for him to stay, already miss him but I knew I would when I sent him to Texas. It was the best thing for him so I'll deal with it.

Mentor a child, spend time with him, pass on your values to him, allow him into your life. There is no better gift you can give a needy or neglected child than yourself. And it is a gift that is not confined to the Christmas season, it keeps on giving throughout the year.

41 mag fan
12-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Thats awesome Olevern. Its the little things that kids take for granted, like what you are doing that instills values in their lives later in life.
And hopefully they'll pass those values on to another child.

Johnk454
12-05-2011, 08:53 PM
You're a good man, Shane. Proud to help.

cdet69
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
That is why we donate a toy and money every to the USMC toys for tots program. If you are doing well this time of year you should think of others and just skip something you would buy and probably not use any way. My wife and I have always made sure we gave something back this time of year. Nothng is worse than a child missing out on the season. Yes Shane you are honorable man and give us something to strive for. So when you see a program doing something for kids a little change can make a huge difference.

41 mag fan
12-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Just an update. I finally got photobucket to work for me, since we switched from broadband to wifi.

A thank You to SWANEEDB. He sent money also to help fund 2 needy kids Christmas.

Thank you to all.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo12101834.jpg

12-13-2011, 08:15 AM
You brought a tear to the eye. Bless you.

41 mag fan
12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
You brought a tear to the eye. Bless you.

Thanks 725.
It makes me feel good inside when I can do something like helping a child have a Christmas.

Just got back from WalMart.
I want to Thank SWANEEDB, for the contribution to the needy kids we sponsor.
I thought I'd post the extra gift I was able to pick up for each child. It'll make their Christmas hopefully just a little more special.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo12131532.jpg

41 mag fan
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
You're a good man, Shane. Proud to help.

That is why we donate a toy and money every to the USMC toys for tots program. If you are doing well this time of year you should think of others and just skip something you would buy and probably not use any way. My wife and I have always made sure we gave something back this time of year. Nothng is worse than a child missing out on the season. Yes Shane you are honorable man and give us something to strive for. So when you see a program doing something for kids a little change can make a huge difference.

Thank You to you both. You 2 plus frank Martinez and SWANEEDB were as much a part of this as I was.

ErikO
12-16-2011, 12:50 PM
That is awesome, 41.

The organization that I volunteer for has a program every Christmas that supplies presents for 150-or-so families every year. It's a program to get the parent(s) into a financial literacy program to help them both learn how to make better use of the money they get as well as how to advocate for themselves. We don't have a very high success rate, but the ones that DO succeed are fantasic folks that I feel honored to get to know.

I salute everyone that does what they can, even if it's just dropping a few coins in a bell ringer's kettle. If we don't help one another, who will?

41 mag fan
12-16-2011, 05:12 PM
That is awesome, 41.

The organization that I volunteer for has a program every Christmas that supplies presents for 150-or-so families every year. It's a program to get the parent(s) into a financial literacy program to help them both learn how to make better use of the money they get as well as how to advocate for themselves. We don't have a very high success rate, but the ones that DO succeed are fantasic folks that I feel honored to get to know.

I salute everyone that does what they can, even if it's just dropping a few coins in a bell ringer's kettle. If we don't help one another, who will?

Exactly..and Thanks Erik.
Place I used to work at, the mother and daughter, would collect presents from us and would deliver them to families a day or 2 before Christmas.
Wish I could remember their names....old age, but anyways the daughter, used to tell us they traveled from central indiana to S. In. She used to tell me you'd be surprised how poor some families are around here, and how there was some families that still lived in houses with dirt floors!

Sad thing is though, you can only help people so much, before they need to help themselves. But kids are the innocent victims of poverty, adults are not, if they're fully capable of working, even if it means moving to a new area to work.

There is the exceptions, but people in poverty, can remove themselves from that poverty, it's the kids though that suffer from a parents lack of trying.

It's sad to put it in harsh terms that way, but it's like you said with the program you volunteer for, the people you have success with are wanting to help themselves. They just need the tools to help themselves.

Johnk454
12-16-2011, 07:47 PM
"Broke is a temporary condition, poor is a state of mind."

Sir Richard Francis Burton

41 mag fan
12-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Thats a good quote John