PDA

View Full Version : finding a Saeco mould

Lawyerman
02-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I am looking for a four cavity Saeco 352. This is their 35 cal mould that weighs a nominal 245 grains.

Midway hasn't had one in a long time. I'm sure it's a special order item for them. I used to buy all my Saeco stuff from GAR but have lost track of them and don't think they have a website.

Suggestions?

Scrounger
02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I am looking for a four cavity Saeco 352. This is their 35 cal mould that weighs a nominal 245 grains.

Midway hasn't had one in a long time. I'm sure it's a special order item for them. I used to buy all my Saeco stuff from GAR but have lost track of them and don't think they have a website.

Suggestions?

You're right, there is no website. But here is a picture that has their phone number in it. Am I a great detective or what????

Lawyerman
02-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Called and they no longer carry moulds!

Mugs
02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
www.redding-reloading.com has a complete listing of mail order dealers.
Mugs

Lawyerman
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Looked at all those....most only carry the reloading gear and not moulds. None of the mould sellers had a 4 cav. in stock. I guess I will just suck it up and wait the 90 days for Midway to get me one. Never should have let my buddy talk me out of mine......that will learn me!

Wife, yes, mould NO!:mrgreen:

lovedogs
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
It may cost more but I think you can order directly from Saeco. I have in the past. If you need something right away maybe it's worth checking into. Just call (607) 753-3331 and ask for Pat Ryan or Bruce Merkur. Pat is an engineer and Bruce is in Customer Support Services.

Jon K
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
All of the 4 cavity Saeco molds are special order now. They haven't had them as stock now for around 3 years. Sometimes Midway will buy more than one, if a customer, orders one, then they will put it in the online catalog. The last Saeco 4 cavity I ordered #354, is there now.

Jon
:castmine:

Dale53
02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
It is amazing to me how few shooters are casting their own bullets and reloading. Amongst my group of older club members we ALL reloaded and a good number of us cast our own. I guess with more disposable income the interest in casting and reloading is at an all time low.

I was talking to an old friend, now retired, who was a reloading distributor. He affirmed the same thing. Not nearly as much activity in the field going on.

Myself, I am still as interested as always. When I cast bullets with salvage lead, reload (and I do it by the thousands for several different calibers) I never count the cost of my labor, nor do I count the cost of the many thousands of rounds that I shoot. It is so inexpensive that I don't HAVE to[smilie=1:. If I were using factory loads, there is no way I could shoot as much as I do. Just flat couldn't justify it.

So, what's wrong with the rest of the world, don't they understand?:confused:

Dale53

sundog
02-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Dale said, "So, what's wrong with the rest of the world, don't they understand?"

Apparently not. Most of them are too eat up with that idiot bald girl's haircut and cutting in and out of rehab (what a freaking joke that is, but it sells) and the crying judge. They just don't have the capacity to handle ALL that AND have a life of their own. And, they vote. What a nightmare!

TAWILDCATT
02-22-2007, 09:59 PM
SOME BAD ADVICE HERE!!! SAECO IS OWNED BY REDDING GET THEIR CAT.THEY SHOW 4 CAVITY AT 159.00 HANDLES 43.50.
redding-reloading.com
grafs.com

TAWILDCATT
02-22-2007, 10:12 PM
i just looked at reddings prices no wonder.a lee for $38.from midsouth=midsouthshooters.com great prices.my club up north has saeco when it was in modesto cal $36 we paid.also hensley and gibbs.those were the days and prices.now its lee for me.

imashooter2
02-22-2007, 10:57 PM
i just looked at reddings prices no wonder.a lee for $38.from midsouth=midsouthshooters.com great prices.my club up north has saeco when it was in modesto cal $36 we paid.also hensley and gibbs.those were the days and prices.now its lee for me.

When H&G was in California, $36 was a lot of money...

MT Gianni
02-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Garfolo retired and sold their inventory 3 or 4 years ago. It was a great place to do business with. I believe all saeco 4 cavitys are made by the factory by special order. They will cut them at any time but do not have their dealers stock them. Gianni.

Blackwater
02-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Isn't that bullet listed in the newest Graf's catalog? Check www.grafs.com and see, if you already haven't.

Bob Jones
02-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Regarding the number of reloaders, I visit a number of online gun forums and I am seeing LOTS of discussion by first-time reloaders looking for info. With recent increases in ammo prices and more and more political concern over availability, combined with the drying up of mil surplus ammo, I think many more people are getting interested.

Frankly I am always astounded at the quality of tools we are able to buy for the price. When you look at a set of dies, precision made from good steel in the USA for $30-$40 retail, or my Hornady LNL progressive press which right now you can buy for $330 with a rebate of 1000 Hornady bullets, almost $300 worth depending on caliber, and compare that to other consumer goods on the market, it's remarkable. Espciallly when you consider the level of customer service all of the reloading equipment manufacturers provide. It's one of the last bastions of old-fashioned America IMHO.

The bad side is trying to find some wheel weights at a reasonable price.

TAWILDCATT
02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
To Bob Jones Wheel Wts Should Be Available At Any Tire Shop.most Will Give You Some Or All. I'v Got A 55 Gal Drum Waiting For Me To Figure How To Bring Them Home. I'm In To Lee But I Have Most Makes Of Presses And They All Work Good.
Ted Jones MANNING SC

lovedogs
02-24-2007, 10:22 PM
In response to the comment about the decreased number of people casting, I had a visit with Pat Ryan of Saeco and he said there's been a tremendous decline in casters. He, himself, doesn't cast. Reason? Most have neither the time or inclination to do so. Most find it easier to buy from a commercial outfit. I tried some from a "pro" once. His weren't near as good as my own. I think it's kind of like hunting. Many have too much money. So, instead of going on their own they hire someone else to do it for them. I doubt I'd like going on a guided hunt because most guides I've met knew less about it than I do. And, for me, it'd take the fun out of it if I had someone lead me to the quarry. Likewise, I like making my own bullets.

TAWILDCATT
02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Lovedogs It Seems To Me There Must Be A Lot Of Casting Going On.with Lee And Others Making Molds.there Are About 5 Mold Makers That Make And Sell Their Own Product.may Be Saeco Does Not Sell As Many Molds After All The Molds Last More Than A Lifetime I Have Winchester Tools And Molds Plus Ideal And Lyman.and Up North Many Clubs Have Reloading Rooms.
Wildcatt

Lawyerman
04-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I think alot of the decline in reloading has been due to cheap surplus ammo and the entry of the ammo manufacturers into premium lines.

There are generally two reasons to reload- specialty rounds or economy. The specialty round business has changed...now all the big companies will load Swift A Frames or Barnes or some other specialty bullet. There are several companies that load for the "oldies" that were not around in the past.....

Economy....Last year I was buying CCI Blazer 9m/m for $3.86 a box.....who is going to mess with casting slugs and reloading for that kind of money? Not worth it for "blasting" ammo. The only people that it's worth it to are old folks who are essentially retired or kids starting out who are so poor they can't afford to pay attention. I was buying Portugese .308 shipped to my door for $140 a thousand....even using pulldown powder and bullets you couldn't reload it for that kind of money. Not worth doing when you can make a phone call and a crate of ammo shows up ready to shoot...and good stuff too-sealed in PVC battle packs......

The upside to this has been that over the last ten years during this change I have been able to buy alot of reloading supplies-bullets, powder, primers, brass and equipment DIRT CHEAP, nobody wanted any of it. I bought it and stacked it away at every opportunity. With the surplus in short supply and prices on the way up, reloading is making a comeback.

Anyway, got an order in with Midway for my mould, can't hardly wait.

TAWILDCATT
04-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Lawyerman :sounds like your right.most of the old reloaders are to old and did not spend time recruiting young people.the NRA finaly cought on and now recruite women.most of the clubs up in NEW ENGLAND have loading rooms.took out 26,000 lbs lead out of backstop from the one I belong to in Mass.yes and cheap surplus had an effect.now hopefully there will be a change.thats why these forums are so great.to recruite newbies.
by way check" midsouthshooters .com"