PDA

View Full Version : Leather Lace Up Recoil pad?

Milsurp Junkie
12-05-2011, 01:09 PM
I took my new-to-me Winchester 94 (30-30) post-64 non-AE to the range over the weekend, and was extremely surprised at the kick (and resulting bruise that I have on my shoulder). :holysheep
I can typically fire my milsurps off a bench 50-60 rounds before I start getting tired of the recoil. This one I was done after 24 rounds.
Something about the metal butt-plate (and sharp edges) on this thing is no bueno.

Does anyone know of a good brand of leather lace up recoil pad? The ones that I did find all complained about thin leather and questionable durability.

lylejb
12-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, I've never found a good one either. All the ones I looked at were thin enough I didn't think they would help much.

What I did for my mom, who always complained about the recoil of her 30-30 (and wouldn't shoot it unless she had to) was to have a regular 1" recoil pad installed.

We went with a pakmeyer (sp) decellerator. It made a world of differance.

Since your rifle is post 64, it's likely not one of the huge $$ colecters guns, so making it useful to you is of more value than any value lost due to the modification.

my .02

ReloaderFred
12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
The .30-30 can be a hard kicker, since it's such a light rifle and the stock design lends itself to delivering all the punch to your shoulder. Have an elastomer recoil pad installed to the proper length and it will tame down the little beast.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Shooter6br
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Have a nice Cabellas lace up. Used on slug gun and Benjamin 397

Springfield
12-05-2011, 04:32 PM
I make nice leather buttstock covers and you can put some high density foam from Home Depot in there, your choice of thickness. People seem to like them. The cover itself will never wear out, the foam is easily replaceable. I put one on my 45-70 handi-rifle, helped quite a bit. I can put bullet loops on there also if you like, or fancy it up with some fancy carving. You can see some of the ones I have done at www.whyteleatherworks.com.

williamwaco
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I am a tight wad.

I put a sandbag between the buttplate and my shoulder.

Pepe Ray
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
FYI
For those who would consider alternatives to padding.
Enlarging the contact area of the butt to the shoulder can make a world of difference if your not inclined to alter the stock significantly.
Mearly replacing the butt plate with one of larger contact area works wonders for me.
Pepe Ray

MT Gianni
12-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I bought one for a Rossi 44 and was glad I did.

crazy mark
12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
I bought a neoprene one from Cabela's that uses velcro to hold it on. It also has loops for ammo. I can change it from gun to gun that way and it has generous padding.

Fishman
12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
The Kick Killer from Cabela's is pretty nice. Quite a few folks use them on their H&R single shots with steel buttplates (See Greybeard's site) My Dad put one on a H&R Classic Carbine I gave him and it looks good and works.

zac0419
12-06-2011, 10:53 PM
+1 on the kick killer from Cabelas. It works and is easily worth the price.

Heavy lead
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Got two of the lace up kick killers, one on a 1895, the other on a 12 gauge slug gun, very nice.
Have one on another slug gun from Brownell's, not as nice, but works well.
Gotta talk to Springfield, thinking I need one made with shell loops for the one slug gun. Nice looking rig.

Milsurp Junkie
12-07-2011, 12:26 PM
I saw the Kick Killer's but some people that reviewed it thought they were too thin and might not be durable.

@Springfield
Those leather recoil pads are nice! What is your turnaround time for one w/ shell loops for a 30-30?

Jonathan

greg gremlin
12-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Jonathan: I have a lace up pad you can have. It's plain jane but might suit your needs. pm your name/address if interested. hth greg

Milsurp Junkie
12-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Greg, PM inbound. I will tell you how it works! Thanks again!

Pioneer2
12-13-2011, 09:32 PM
30-30 kicks?

Milsurp Junkie
12-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that is what I was questioning...None of my other guns kick as bad as this one. I was done after 26 rounds on a bench. Maybe due to how the gun fits me (I am 6'3"). As I said kicks more than the 30-06 single shot, M44 Mosin Nagant, or 30-06 BDL...Those I am fine with until 60 shots or so off the bench.

Trailblazer
12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Pepe Ray has a good suggestion. I put the butt pad off a Feather Weight Winchester Model 70 on my 94 that I use for silhouette. It is a thin rubber pad and is only slighty larger than the original. It solved the recoil problem. It looks a little funky being oversize but I can always put the original butt plate back on.

Reload3006
12-15-2011, 09:41 AM
wow my mind took me to the wrong place when Leather n Lace was mentioned. They work pretty good if your gun is already to short and you need length. Unless your gun has a high shock recoil then personally I would have the recoil pad added that fit the gun to me. other than that as has been mentioned use a piece of rubber between the gun and your shoulder to site the gun in. When you are shooting at game you will never know it kicked. But I have to say the lace on recoil pad is sexy.

kidmma
12-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Dito, on the leather and lace. :)

Pepe Ray
12-15-2011, 04:09 PM
KidMMA
Is that where your mind goes when you spend too much time on board ship?:shock:
Pepe Ray

hunter64
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
I seen one at the shooting range a couple of years ago and it was made for adding a sling to a lever action rifle that you didn't want to drill holes in the butt stock.

It was a lace on buttstock cover that had a nice sling attached with a loop on the other end of the sling. So after you are done shooting your game or for long walks you would simply put the loop over the barrel, slide it down to the forward hand guard and the cover on the end of the buttstock and you had an instant sling to carry the rifle.

Any one seen one of those? They would be great in the field when you need both hands.

olafhardt
12-30-2011, 05:07 AM
get a cheap set of shower shoes and a tube of good rubber cement like Shoe Goop and a Stanley Shure-Forum tool of what ever configiration you like and a. sharp knife. You can rough out the pad with the knife, finish it up with the shure form and glue it on the butt. I always remove the butplate before I glue them on. With a knife and sand paper you can take them off. With:castmine: a shot gun with a stock bolt I drill a hole slightly smaller than an empty shell through the sole first, shove the empty through the sole, apply plenty of glue and glue it up. After the glue dries, cut out and finish the pad. The first pad I did this way is still giving me good service on a 30-06 after 20 years. You could cut one of these to fit inside a lace on. With a hard kicker I guess you could add more layers. If you follow the taper of the stock the back of the pad is slightly larger.