PDA

View Full Version : Shooting and old friend

NickSS
12-05-2011, 06:48 AM
A couple days ago I was digging way in the back of my safe and dug out my Shiloh Sharps No 1 Sporting rifle in 40-65 that I ordered from the factory in 1992 and got in 1995. Shortly after I bought it I found out that with the heavy weight barrel I ordered it with it would not make weight for Silhouette matches so there it sat with only a few hundred rounds through it and not even looked at since 1999. So I cleaned and oiled it and decided to try it out at my clubs monthly silhouette shoot.

Well I shot it today and had a great time. It seamed to like the loads I had loaded for my C Sharps High Wall in the same caliber that I use for Silhouettes all the time and I scored nearly as well as normal. One thing I noticed was that the big rifle hardly had any recoil which was fun for me. Maybe the old friend will get more use as my club matches do not care how much your rifle weighs like sanctioned NRA ones do.

bigted
12-13-2011, 07:50 AM
cool man! sure a long time for it to rest...recon it is ready for some work after setting around in the dark for so long...

i have some rifles that have not seen daylite for a few years...wonder how this happens? when i was younger i only had cash for 1 or 2 at a time and wore em pretty hard ... now i have the family moved on and my pocketbook is getting litened so the toys are adding up faster then i can play with them....weird huh? now my excuse is time...cant seem to buy that one either but maybe after i pull the plug...hopefully anyhow.

TXGunNut
12-14-2011, 11:34 PM
i have some rifles that have not seen daylite for a few years...wonder how this happens?-bigted

No idea. Was headed out to the range this past weekend and was looking for a 94 in the safe. Most guns are in socks so I've learned to look and feel for clues to what's inside. "Found" a 94 that wasn't "supposed" to be there. Easy to forget how blessed we are, just a shame we don't have more time to play with our toys.
Pretty sure I wouldn't neglect a Sharps that long but can't rule it out. Glad you got the old girl out to the range, NickSS.