PDA

View Full Version : ss media pins will stick in flash hole

edsmith
12-05-2011, 01:42 AM
I have tumbled about 200 cases with ss media .041x .251 they will stick in the flash holes. out of the 200 cases, 30-06,45acp,38spc. I had 3 with stuck pins in them, they are a bear to get out,but better than having more than half with clogged flash holes using corncob or walnut.

imashooter2
12-05-2011, 07:52 AM
I use walnut smaller than the flash holes so the problem doesn't exist.

Don't they make stainless smaller than the flash holes?

Stampede
12-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I use ss spheres (all so called satellites), this eliminates this problem flawelessly and it cleans all so way much faster than pins. Use a slighty smaller diameter sphere than the small primer pockets.

Peter (Stampede)

Moonman
12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
I only do pistol cases and haven't had an issue with stuck pins.

jmorris
12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I have tumbled several thousand so far both rifle and pistol and haven't had this happen.

What brass has a flash hole small enough to stick a .041" pin in it? Berdan perhaps?

Sonnypie
12-05-2011, 11:10 AM
I have had that happen with 1-5 or so cases with my FA 1934 brass, but not with commercial brass, and not with LC (Lake City.
When 2 pins try to go side-by-side in the flash holes, they can lodge.
It has become a non-issue anymore because I'm neck sizing after decapping and tumbling my brass.
As I am neck sizing, the neck sizing dies decapping pin pokes out the flash hole. A distinct tinkle in the spent primer catcher jar tells me the flash hole has been cleared of errant pins.
Last 150+ or so I did had 2 cases with pins.

Those 4 errant pins I put on a rare earth magnet I have on my tumblers lid, to put in next time I open it to use.

I'm hoping my efforts to deburr the flash holes may have helped stop the pinning problem entirely.
But for now, the decapping pin on the neck sizer die has proven effortless to poke traveling pins free.

Baja_Traveler
12-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I've had it happen several times when two pins get stuck side-by-side in the flash hole when I first started using this media. They are supposed to be small enough that two will still pass through the flash hole, but occasionally a fat pin gets by I guess. I toss the pins that get stuck, so it hasn't happened in the last 1000 or so cases I've tumbled.

edsmith
12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
the pins stuck in one R-P 30-06 case and 2 win. 45acp cases. no big deal, a lot of folks say they don't stick, that could lead to not checking the flash hole like you should.I do like the way the ss cleans. I like the way all the crud inside the case is removed.