PDA

View Full Version : SBH .44 mag or Blackhawk .45 Colt?

scootnshoot
12-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Which of the 2 is more accurate as far as Rugers go? Is one more inherently more accurate than the other? I am going to get a new toy from Santa (from me, to me), which would you go with? I have reloading supplies for both, can't decide on which one to get. I had a Contender 14" in .44 that was deadly as far as anyone would shoot with a handgun. Is the .45 Colt just as good at long range? I won't hunt with it at long range, but it sure is satisfying to pop a can way out there with a handgun! I will cast and reload for the gun, may even do a Deer hunt with it. I am thinking 7 1/2" barrel, 240gr + Boolits.

feets
12-05-2011, 12:50 AM
They are pretty close but the fatter 45 will drop quicker than the 429 Magnum. Other than that, it will do anything the 44 will and make less pressure while doing it.
I've got a big Vaquero in 45 Colt that has tagged bowling pins at 200 yards. It won't do it every time, but it will get the job done.
Bullet selection is great either way.

I've gone pretty far down the 45 road and don't plan on stepping back to the 44 anytime soon.

canyon-ghost
12-05-2011, 12:51 AM
It's the reloader, the caster and the shooter that will make the difference there.

leadman
12-05-2011, 01:09 AM
I've had both and now only have the 44. I too like to send a pistol boolit way out there. The 45 to me just seemed to drop way more than the 44 out at 200 yards or better.

saz
12-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Kind of splitting hairs with that one. I have a SBH in 44 and it will NEVER leave my possession just because I have owned it for so long. If I were to buy another one, it would be a 45 colt. I think that the colt had more nostalgia, but both are excellent hunting cartridges and like others have said, it is the caster/handloader/shooter that is going to make the difference with accuracy. I have loaded for both, and IMHO they are the most flexible revolver cartridges out there as they can be loaded from mild to wild easily, and there is a LARGE selection of molds brass etc......

scootnshoot
12-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Leadman, it is so much fun when someone is sending pounds of lead downrange at a can with a rifle and can't hit it. You pull up your handgun, take aim, boom...... the can flies up in the air. They will come over to look at your magic wand, what kind of gun is that? Where can I get one?

The Contender was a great magic wand! I want a new 6 shot magic wand. I am leaning towards the .44 for the long range shots. I have the Lyman 240 SWCGC mold and sizer. That .44 was superb at longer distance. May be the only place the .44 outshines the .45 Colt (in a Ruger/TC with handloads). I just read an article in Handloader, author said Ruger .45 colts were some of their most accurate handguns. Of course thats one mans opinion, hence the question here.

Keith Sacane
12-05-2011, 02:27 AM
In the Ruger revolvers, they can be loaded pretty similar. The 45's I have all had to have their throats reamed, but now, they're incredibly accurate.

GARCIA
12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Keith is pretty correct about the throating issues. All 4 of my Rugers have had to have the throats opened up. They really shoot now.
Did have a Redhawk "Hunter" in 44mag. It got sold so that I could get a 5 1/2" Redhawk in 45 Colt.
Love my 45 Colt's!!

Tom

stubshaft
12-05-2011, 06:26 AM
My first Ruger was the SBH in 44, the last one I would get rid of is my 45 BH. Liked the 44 when I was shooting and hunting with it but love the 45 even more now.

subsonic
12-05-2011, 07:17 AM
The .44 is a better overal package, unless you convert the .45 to a 5 shot (with tight chambers and proper throats) and run the velocity and pressure up to .44 mag levels with heavier boolits (more recoil). In my experience, all of the SBH I have shot were very well dimensioned. I cannot say the same for Ruger .45 colt BHs.

Unless you want a "project", get the .44 SBH.

big dale
12-05-2011, 07:24 AM
I prefer the 44 Super Blackhawk. In fact I still prefer the old models and I stilll simply put the hammer down on the empty cylinder. I have had a couple of the 45 convertables and found that I had to work much more to get the accuracy out of the 45's. I could do it, but it was simpler with the 44's for me. I have never been without at least one Super Blackhawk for more that three decades now and I never will. I now have over a dozen boolit molds for my 44's. Seems like I have not had a 45 Blackhawk for the past thirty years or so. They are both so good that you can't realy go wrong.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

softpoint
12-05-2011, 07:28 AM
I have both in the 7.5 inch version. The standard Blackhawk in .45 cal is a good bit lighter in weight than is the Super Blackhawk. I prefer carrying the standard Blackhawk. So far as accuracy, they are similar. The cylinder throats wre undersized on my .45 when I got it, but that has been fixed, and it shoots cast boolits as well as the .44 now.
If long range plinking accuracy is the goal, take a look at the .41 magnum. Or even the .357
I'd pick the .45 though, of the two you are interested in.

Whitworth
12-05-2011, 07:53 AM
.45 Colt.......

Ed K
12-05-2011, 09:17 AM
There is not inherent reason for one to be more accurate than the other - as far as physics and mechanics are concerned. However your question was:

Which of the 2 is more accurate as far as Rugers go?

As has already been pointed out you will likely have to work the throats on your 45 Blackhawk to get it to the level of a 44.

You will then always be saddled with oversized chambers in which your brass will swell and be overworked if you full length size which can lead to shorter brass life than the 44. While this will be apparent in heavy Ruger-only loadings it is not as much so in SAAMI loadings. This is not an accuracy issue but like to point it out as 44s are not like this

All that being said I personally prefer a 45 but these things will be true of your 45 Ruger.

Snyd
12-06-2011, 06:55 PM
The .44 is a better overal package, unless you convert the .45 to a 5 shot (with tight chambers and proper throats) and run the velocity and pressure up to .44 mag levels with heavier boolits (more recoil). In my experience, all of the SBH I have shot were very well dimensioned. I cannot say the same for Ruger .45 colt BHs.

Unless you want a "project", get the .44 SBH.

No need to run the 45 colt to 44 mag pressure to get the same, even better results. In fact it's downright dangerous in factory cylinders. 45 colt can shoot larger boolits, same velocity at lower pressures than the 44 mag. That's in factory cylinders. 5 Shot 45 Colt cylinders are a different animal. 50,000+ psi 45 Colt loads, thats 454 casull territory.

It's not the one is better than the other. They're just different. But, case capacity and caliber is your friend.

Then there are guys who are overloading the 44mag to dangerous levels and/or shooting a 350+ gr beartooth boolits. That's a different animal as well.

jandbn
12-06-2011, 08:27 PM
scootnshoot,

This has nothing to do with accuracy, but John Linebaugh has a good article comparing the 44 and 45 that may or may not sway your decision. His article sealed the deal for me to go with the 45.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Some folks mention dimensional disparity with the 45, but I think they may be referring to the older 45's produced prior to Ruger using new tooling. The NIB 5 1/2" SS Bisley I bought was made in 2009. Groove size at the smallest prior to lapping the bore was .4509 (haven't measured since lapping and no leading yet since lapping) and all cylinder throats were .4518-.4519. Some might also say to open the throats to .4525, but I haven't shot it enough to determine if I really need to open them up.

Heavy lead
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
The obvious answer is both, short of that, while I prefer my .45's to the .44's, I have several of both, if I were to just have one or the other it would be the .44. It's hard to beat the plain ole' Super Blackhawk, while I prefer the SuperBisleyBlackhawk (my verbage, not Rooger's) I think the regular Super with aftermarket behind the trigger guard filling grips (I prefer Herrett's) is the easiest way to find a great shooter.
But I'll not be talked out of either, and prefer them to the Smiths, the Super Redhawk and the Redhawk.

tacklebury
12-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd say go with the 5.5" .45C/ACP Convertible. I did and it's nice to have the plinking and cheaper purchasable bullets for when low on reloads. I also keep my eyes open for good deals on some FMJ to have on hand too. ;) My ACP cylinder is a shade better accuracy, but super tight. I have to use my LEE FCD on every case or it won't go into the cylinder. 8)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8uStK4k4OHM/TsRBj0rV24I/AAAAAAAAAKk/y9wzOpfX40c/s800/Scott_guns%252520027.JPG

btroj
12-07-2011, 08:30 AM
What do you want to do with it? For heavy loads they can both do about the same.
For lighter loads I somewhat prefer the 44 mag. It can use 44 special brass and the availability of lighter weight bullets means less lead use. Then44 special brass makes it very easy to differentiate between load levels.
I have both a 44 mag and a 45 Colt. I rarely, if ever, not rod the 45 Colt anymore. Recoil just eats up my wrists. The 44 mag Is in a super Redhawk and the recoil doesn't bother me at all.

In the end you need to decide what your needs and desires are. They can bother serve well. It comes down to an emotional decision by ou- which do you WANT more. Arguments can be made for both but in the end they are to close to call.

high standard 40
12-07-2011, 08:54 AM
For the handloader, the BH 45Colt and the SBH 44 Mag are pretty close. I would opt for the Super Blackhawk based solely on the larger grip frame. It fits my hand much better.

Whitworth
12-07-2011, 11:41 AM
No need to run the 45 colt to 44 mag pressure to get the same, even better results. In fact it's downright dangerous in factory cylinders. 45 colt can shoot larger boolits, same velocity at lower pressures than the 44 mag. That's in factory cylinders. 5 Shot 45 Colt cylinders are a different animal. 50,000+ psi 45 Colt loads, thats 454 casull territory.

It's not the one is better than the other. They're just different. But, case capacity and caliber is your friend.

Then there are guys who are overloading the 44mag to dangerous levels and/or shooting a 350+ gr beartooth boolits. That's a different animal as well.

+ 1, Snyd!

freedom475
12-07-2011, 01:07 PM
The grip frame of the 44mag 7 1/2" SBH seals the deal for me with the 44mag...the regular BH frame is smaller and not near as easy for me to shoot well. It won't take the pressures either.

The 44 is hard to beat...I like my 45's, and shoot them a lot...but they are no 44mag. A 265gr. Kieth GC at 1500fps out of a SBH really shoots:Fire:

With that being said...Mr. Linebaugh makes the most sense..read this.. http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/heavyweight_bullets.htm

smkummer
12-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Better chance of out of the box accuracy with the 44. Don't waist you time with a .429 sizer in the Ruger, shoot as cast or if you can find a .431 sizer go with that. I suggested to a friend that he would really love the feel of the Bisley grip frame and he has never looked back. My SBH is OK recoil wise with that load (245 grain bullet at 950 FPS)but again the Bisley just handles the recoil better. He is running the Kieth bullet at about 950 FPS as his 100 yard and less do all round. The standard BH grip frame is OK with standard 45 Colt loads but again the bisley is so much more comfortable. Did I mention that I like the Bisley grip frame?

9.3X62AL
12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I have both--and enjoy both very much. Redhawk x 5.5" in 44 Mag, Bisley Blackhawk x 7.5" in 45 Colt. I did have to open the throats on the BisHawk to get things finished....but it is only one of many guns in my safe that required me or someone else to finish building them. :)

In terms of accuracy, the two calibers in my hands are about a dead heat overall, and that likely has more to do with operator headspace than any mechanical feature of the revolvers. Brass life......dead heat. I don't load many of my 44 Mags to romp-n-stomp velocities, and most of my 45 Colt brass gets run at SAAMI level +/- 10%.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
The .44 is much handier in the progressive press than the .45 Colt, due in part to the smaller rim of the .45. Plus the .45 Colt has a larger case capacity and a lower SAMMI pressure rating. We can debate the guns but the .44 is far superior and less hassle for reloading. I reload both and just deal with the issues associated with the .45, but the .44 is more trouble free at the bench.

EDK
12-08-2011, 10:45 PM
The tolerance issues in the 45 have kept me away from the 45 Colt aka 45 Long Colt cartridge. You formerly heard a lot of "horror stories" about loading the 45 LC back in the 70s...thankfully most have been corrected. A tightly toleranced 45 would be a treasure...unfortunately not a likely occurence unless you wish to spend some money on a custom built gun. The 45 ACP Smith & Wessons are the only 45 caliber revolvers I would buy...BUT I have a 5 inch and a 3 inch 625-2 from the late 80s/early 90s.

Glenn Fryxell has an interesting article on 1894 MARLINS over at lasc.us that discusses the 357, 44 and 45 in lever action rifles. It will give you some perpsective. HOWEVER, he doesn't get into the dimensional problems of various 45 Colt firearms. HANDLOADER magazine did some articles on the dimensions awhile back...not very encouraging to a potential 45 buyer.

I shoot some 357 and about 10 times as many 44s in the herd of VAQUEROS and BISLEY VAQUEROS and their BLACKHAWK siblings...plus MARLIN Cowboy rifles. A lot of trouble free years with readily available brass and boolits...finding cheap 45 Colt brass is d*** near impossible.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Mohillbilly
12-08-2011, 11:28 PM
I have both in various barrel lengths .Most everything the guys say is true However I got into 45 because I knew it was just a matter of time I would get a model 83 Cassul . I ordered it with 454,45Colt,45ACP, and 45 winmag cylinders. I have my Rugers and a Cassul too.

tek4260
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
The 44 is more accurate?

Tell this 45...

25 and 93 yards

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1281.jpg

Lloyd Smale
12-09-2011, 08:25 AM
heres my take on it. There very close in power. Through the years ive owned many of both and have found the 44s on average shoot a bit better. Especially with bullets under 300 grain. All of this cant be blamed on the guns though as just about accross the board in all my 44s and 45s the lighter 45s are tougher to get shoot well. Same goes for long range. Alot of the 45 bullets in the 250 grain class dont do real well at long range and it seems to be easy to find a 250 grain 44 bullet that does. Ive heard all the excuses. To tight of throats, shallower rifling, differnt twist ect and im sure they all add in there but i think its more a matter of bullet design then anything else. a 250 grain 45 bullet is by nature shorter then a 250 grain 44 bullet and i think that has more to do with it then anything. Ive never had a problem getting even out of the box 45 blackhawks to shoot 300s well at short and long range. By the way when im talking long range im refering to ranges out past 300 yards.

jandbn
12-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Based on a 44 with with a 240 gr boolit, some might assume the a 255 gr in a 45 would approximate the 240 gr in the 44. A direct ratio would be give as:

x/.452 = 240 gr/.429
x = 253 gr

To get the correct ratio the bore area should be used to compute a ratio. Bore areas:

.429 = .145 sq. in.
.452 = .160 sq. in.

Bore area ratio is:

.160/.145 = 1.11

Grain ratio would then be computed using the bore area ratio:

240 gr x 1.11 ratio = 266 grains for the 45 to approximate a 240 grain in a 44.

Hope this doesn't confuse anybody!

Char-Gar
12-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Which is more accurate the 44 Mag or the 45 Colt? My experience is that it is easier to find accurate loads for the 44, but once you have found a good 45 load it will do just as well as the 45. I don't think a case can be made for one having more inherent accuracy than the other.

subsonic
12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
heres my take on it. There very close in power. Through the years ive owned many of both and have found the 44s on average shoot a bit better. Especially with bullets under 300 grain. All of this cant be blamed on the guns though as just about accross the board in all my 44s and 45s the lighter 45s are tougher to get shoot well. Same goes for long range. Alot of the 45 bullets in the 250 grain class dont do real well at long range and it seems to be easy to find a 250 grain 44 bullet that does. Ive heard all the excuses. To tight of throats, shallower rifling, differnt twist ect and im sure they all add in there but i think its more a matter of bullet design then anything else. a 250 grain 45 bullet is by nature shorter then a 250 grain 44 bullet and i think that has more to do with it then anything. Ive never had a problem getting even out of the box 45 blackhawks to shoot 300s well at short and long range. By the way when im talking long range im refering to ranges out past 300 yards.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this post.:2_high5:
The .45 needs the "longer" heavy boolits to do well, then velocity suffers due to pressure restrictions in the 6 shot guns. Basically what I was getting at too.

The .44 is just a little bit better all - around, until you start driving the .45's harder than they can be driven in (most) 6 shot guns.

But beleive me I like my .45 Bisley! Just need to get rid of that dang extra cylinder and screw on something without a billboard.