PDA

View Full Version : Howdy, Y'all. Thrilled with my 03A3!

scootnshoot
12-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Howdy to y'all! I wanted to thank everyone here for knowledge I gained by reading on this site. Thank you! I also wanted to brag a bit about my '06-1943 Smith-Corona 1903 A3! I have cast a lot a while back for a T/C Contender in 44 mag. I shot the heck out of that gun, thought I knew a lot about cast BOOLITS. NOT when it came to the 03-A3, but I have the know how to make that shoot now, thanks to y'all.

Took her to the range today to ring her out with cast boolits. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the 6 targets I had at 100 yds. All loads were within 1-2" of point of aim. I had loads from 10 gr Unique to 30gr 4895. I could not believe this variation in loads were all impacting so close to POA. What a Hoot! Now, the bad news. I cannot believe how bad my eyes have gotten! I am sure if my eyes were up to it, several of those loads would do MOA. I did find 1 that did.......16gr 2400! That load was the most accurate that I fired, placing 3 into 1", with 2 I screwed up, making the group 2". This is with the issued peep sights. I was tickled to death!

Boy, them targets are small @ 100 yds when you turn 55! Who has tried the Merit-Optical shooting aid? I think I need to get me one of those, see if helps these eyes / groups. I just wanted to brag about my shooting with my old 03-A3. It was given to me on my 40th B'day from my Dad. I still have the paper work from DCM when my great Uncle bought it, $15.00 in 1955. It looks to be about 95 % condition. I had a lot of folks looking at it at the range, they can't believe that old gun shoots better than their new scoped rifle!

Ron

school of mines
12-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Glad to hear you had a great time with your 03A3! What boolit were you using? I'm still working on getting a good load with mine.

scootnshoot
12-05-2011, 12:02 AM
I was using 2 molds from Lee. The 150 fp, and the 180 rn. They both are gas checked. The 150 comes out at 160gr all dressed for the party. The 180 comes out 175 ready to go. The 150 drops at .299 on the nose, .311 on the bands. The 180 drops .300 on the nose, .311 on the bands. I sized them to .310. Oh yea, no leading with the 50/50 JPW-LLA lube dipped.

leadman
12-05-2011, 12:35 AM
I have a device similar to the Merit, but made here in Phoenix. They work well but now there is a piece that must be a thin, flexible plastic since you peel it off and stick it to your eyeglass lense. Not sure but I think Lyman sells these. I will try to find it and post it. Think it would be much easier to use than messing with the ones that clamp over your lense like I have.

I also have a few 1903s and 1903a3s. I posted a target in the military rifle section that I shot a couple weeks ago. Don't know if I can duplicate it but am going to try!

Have fun.

WineMan
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I have a Merit and I just bought these www.eyepalUSA.com The Merit always seems to want to fall off of my shooting glasses at just the wrong time. It is a nice piece of gear and is adjustable. The EyePal is a thin plastic disc that has one size hole, although they have a pistol and a rifle version. I like it better as it stays where you put it but it is a pricy piece of plastic at $30 for two. My normal glasses are blended trifocals (I'm only 54) and they work great. I had a set of shooting glasses made up with a large area set to 31" and a small reading window pane at the bottom. I now wish I had them put in a long range pane at the top like a regular trifocal. With just the close range lens I have to switch glasses to work the pits, change targets etc. The eyepal might also have this issue but I have to change anyway so I am not sure.

They both help sharpen up the front post. Be sure to get a can of sight black or one of the carbide smokers. A butane lighter works too just don't use the smoker or lighter on plastic hand gun sights.

Wineman

Calamity Jake
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
"Now, the bad news. I cannot believe how bad my eyes have gotten! "

"Who has tried the Merit-Optical shooting aid? I think I need to get me one of those, see if helps these eyes / groups.

I use the Merit if I'm shooting a Mauser type(notch) rear sight. I find it difficult to use with the
peep of the 03-A3 as it causes problems trying to line up 4 objects(merit, rear and front sight and target).
The human eye automaticly looks thru the center of a round hole, with the merit added your trying to line up 2 holes along with the other 2 objects.

If you shoot with your off eye closed then try covering that lense of your glasses with black
electial tape, this allows you to shoot with both eyes open and helps the eye strain.

When shooting any of the milsurp rifles I like the SR21 or simular target as it has a 6" dia. black area to aim at, I use a 6 oclock hold for this target with rear sight elevation adjusted to shoot center.

Got-R-Did
12-05-2011, 09:30 PM
A common butane lighter will blacken a sight quite efficiently and it wipes right off after you are done. Used it all the time at the John C. Garand Memorial Matches at Ft. Knox, KY. Worked perfectly for me.
Got-R-Did.

Finnmike
12-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Good shooting with your 03a3! My 2-groove will shoot 1 MOA at 100 and 200 yards with the lee 311-185R and 17.5 grains of 2400 or 20 gr. of 4227.

Re the Merit, I use electrician's tape applied to wax paper. heat a metal pin over a candle or lighter and rotate/perforate the tape at 1" intervals. Then cut the strip between the holes for a batch of pin-hole tapes to peel and stick to your glasses. Slicker than goose grease!