PDA

View Full Version : big lube mold

diabloken
12-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I just got a 1873 Winchester rifle in 44-40 and a 6cav mold from Lee.
I would like to start shooting BP thru this but I know real BP will not
work with these bullets.They do not hold enough lube for this 24 in barrel.
Who makes a good mold for these with a big lube bullet.Thanks Diabloken

bigted
12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
i went to buf arms and looked at their buf arms moulds...they make a dandy lookin mould for the 45 cal in diff dia. nice deep and wide greese grooves as well...looks a lot like the origanal 500's that the gubbermint used.

its worth a look.

Johnny_Cyclone
12-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a nice 44-40 mold from Dick Dastardly at biglube.com that i use for BP, you might check 'em out.

Mav Dutchman 44.cal 200gr 6cavity biglube mold. (http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=d29838a1-de1d-4767-9b74-192b1f1c0db4)

If you need it quick go there.

If not maybe you can get a NOE re-run going for their 432 200Gr. RF (44-40) mold.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124438

Don McDowell
12-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I just got a 1873 Winchester rifle in 44-40 and a 6cav mold from Lee.
I would like to start shooting BP thru this but I know real BP will not
work with these bullets.They do not hold enough lube for this 24 in barrel.
Who makes a good mold for these with a big lube bullet.Thanks Diabloken

How do you know those bullets won't carry enough lube if you haven't shot them yet?

rollmyown
12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
NOE did a run of big lube molds for 44 40 recently. Take a look in the vendors section - he my have some leftovers.

Nobade
12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
NOE did a run of big lube molds for 44 40 recently. Take a look in the vendors section - he my have some leftovers.

+1 on that! I have one of those and have never seen a better black powder bullet design. It carries enough lube, and is extremely accurate.

I also have one Mountain Molds made me, LBT style nose and big grease groove. You can always get him to make something to your design.

John Boy
12-06-2011, 11:16 AM
A couple of reads on the 44-40 bullets that carry sufficient lube and shoot with accuracy

... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=8801.0

... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=8921.0

The same question comes up frequently about 45 Colts, whether they carry sufficient lube and are accurate. I'm here to tell you, the original designed 45 Colt works better than the newer 'big lubes' being sold, which I shot for many years and found to be inaccurate past cowboy target distances

cajun shooter
12-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Take a look at Accurate Moulds on the 43-210B and 43-215C. These bullets were designed by myself and John Kort for firing in the 44-40 at longer ranges.
The mould that is sold by Dick Dastardly is the Mav Dutchman. It was designed by a shooter in SASS who lives in Louisiana.
Dick did not design any of the moulds he sells but uses the designs to sell the moulds for profit.
The Mav Dutchman is a good bullet for BP at close range but it will not do well at the longer ranges.
Myself and John have done a lot of testing to find bullets that will perform well in these guns. John has some videos posted on this forum that shows how well our designs work.
I owe him a lot as I was too ill to test and he did it for me.
You may purchase a Accurate mould from Tom for the same price of a custom Lee that is many levels below that of the moulds made by Accurate.
You should read and view these videos before making any type of mould purchase.
When shooting BP you may just about shoot any bullet from a revolver and get by with it but the rifle needs that extra lube for that length of barrel. Please contact me if you have any questions about the moulds. Later David I go by Fairshake on all the cowboy and other forums and that is how John will refer to me.

OuchHot!
12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
In cases where I have convinced myself that the boolit did not carry adequate lube, a lube cookie helped.