PDA

View Full Version : Union Carpenters?

dk17hmr
02-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Anyone out here in cast bullet land a Union Carpenter?

I will have my degree in Architecture and Construction Technology this Spring. I am planning on trying to get into a local Carpentry Union and get an apprenticeship. Anything I need to know before hand?

Like I said I will have my degree, but on top of that I did two years of building trades in High School, I have worked for a the same contractor for 3 years and for a mason when there wasnt work with the contractor, I have also done a lot of side jobs including roofing, cement flat work, tile, siding, and installing cabinetry, to name a few things.

I havent worked in a commercial setting but my experience goes from foundation to roofing in the residentail area, I have dont basically everything except mechanical, I have only touched on those things under the eye of my boss.

The local union starts apprentinces at 60% journeymans wage, so starting pay is close to $16 a hour.

Any pointers if there is any Union Carpenters on here, what about any construction workers or contractors here in MI?

Eventually I want to have my own buisness. I was thinkin maybe 10 years after I get my journeymans card, I might go out on my own, I will be about 35 by then so my work experience would be pretty good and with my degree I might be able to draw my own house plans and such.

MT Gianni
02-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Dad was a Union Carpenter for 25 years and went to something else.It treated him well. He always thought there was more work in structural than finish work and stayed busy most years from March to Dec. There is a lot going on in the trades right now in most areas. I would look around and make sure there are some old guys doing what you want to do. If everyone you see on the job is under 30 chances are they are just working from the neck down and thats what they will expect you to do. As a pipefitter, I see a lot of roofers and sheetrockers that fit into neck down work, ie a lot of muscle and not much thought. Gianni.

NVcurmudgeon
02-22-2007, 12:05 PM
You might have to move to find a place to utilize your skills and education. Carpentry in California and urban Nevada seems to be the domain of those who lurk in Home Depot or convenience store parking lots and have poor English skills. There! Was I PC enough to pass?

9.3X62AL
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Bill--

I thought Russian emigres were concentrated in Beverly Hills and Long Island. Obviously, I need to spend less time at Sportsman's Warehouse when visiting Reno.

walltube
02-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi guy,

Go for the apprentice program. With your education you will more than likely 'top out' as a journeyman rather quickly. MTGianni is correct saying that most building trades are\can be "neck down" jobs. But, this does not have to apply to you for all your working life. Contractors are always on the look-out for qualified supervision with EDUCATION and leadership skills.

The first couple years into the program will test your willing to stick with or bail out of the trade.

If you need the address and 'phone number of a Carpenter Local in your area I will ask my brother, a Union carpenter, for the info. May not be this week mind you, he is working at present 7\10-12 hr. days.

Y.T.,

walltube

NVcurmudgeon
02-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Bill--

I thought Russian emigres were concentrated in Beverly Hills and Long Island. Obviously, I need to spend less time at Sportsman's Warehouse when visiting Reno.

Yes, remember the Wal-Mart janitorial scandal? There were enough illegal Russkies to constitute a quorum of the KGB. Then there are the Chinese who come in by the container load in LA and SF. Bet it would be fun to flip open your wallet in a Peking Duck palace and watch the track meet. Our borders are porous in several directions.

9.3X62AL
02-23-2007, 12:53 AM
It would be kinda cool to have a former Komityet operator mowing my lawn, I suppose. I'm not sure about having them build anything, though--Russian factories were known to drive screws with hammers to make quotas and fulfill production objectives during the Soviet era. "Da, tovarich--you pretend to pay us, we pretend to work."

NVcurmudgeon
02-23-2007, 11:53 AM
A classmate of mine, who was in Korea at the end of the war said that he had pulled some Russian 7.62 X 54 ammo and found sand instead of powder, quotas again. But then he's the same guy who also said that he bummed British 9 mm Luger ammo to use in his .38. He went on to say that it was necessary to stake the rims of the 9s to keep them from falling through the cylinder. I believed him until about 1990, when I attempted to test-fit a 9 into my .38. Guess my 9s had over indulged in sausages and beer!

Carpenter's union begat illegal aliens who begat Commie industrial scams, which begat US military urban legends. If this doesn't alert Carpetman, nothing will!

floodgate
02-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Al:

"Russian factories were known to drive screws with hammers..."

Ackshully, a friend whose dad was a carpenter taught him to do just that, if he wanted to get a really good "bite" with the screw in soft or open-grain wood. It bends the fibers in so they really grip the screw - yet, if you don't bash the slot too badly, it still unscrews freely. I tried it and it works!

Doug