PDA

View Full Version : Lever Gun Scope Mounts M92

HollowPoint
12-04-2011, 05:28 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was testing some new Synthetic Bullet Tips in my 303 Enfield. The tests weren't going to well so I decided to test these same bullets in my K31 instead. I'm now just waiting for enough spare time to come up to drive to the shooting range for further tests.

At the time I also tested my Synthetic Bullet Tips in my 44 cal Puma Model 92. These particular bullets shot very well so I thought I'd try working up some more loads using cast bullets wearing these new Synthetic Tips.

Since my eye sight is not longer conducive to using iron-sights, I thought I'd re-attach the make-shift scope mounts that I made a while back. I cobbled together this set of Scope Mounts just for this purpose. (for working up low power loads)

A couple of months ago I acquired a more modern milling machine with which to make me up a new set of Scope Mounts for this particular little rifle so, I thought while I was waiting for an other chance to get out to the rifle range I'd try making me up a new set of Scope Mounts.

I know that Rossi/Puma offers factory Scope Mounts for there newer model lever guns but, mine is an older model so I opted to make my own. I called around to a couple of local gunsmith to see what they'd charge to drill and tap some holes so I could mount a factory Scope mount but, for the price they charged for each hole, plus the price of the factory mount and shipping, the price of making my own seemed to be a little cheaper.

I'm still tweaking the rear assembly of these Self-Made Scope mounts but, for the most part, the front Scope Mount is about done.

I've made a couple of prototypes and a couple of design changes but over all it's coming together pretty well.

The pics below give an idea of my progress.

HollowPoint

wellfedirishman
12-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Those are very nice. The stepping finish on the third prototype looks cool.

HollowPoint
12-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Greetings wellfedirishman:

I kind of liked the third one as well. The reason my fourth prototype doesn't have the exact type of steps in the finish as the third is because I originally started milling it with a Ball-Nose end mill. I wanted to see what kind of finish I would get with an end mill of a different profile

I miscalculated my spindle-speed and the rate of feed so I managed to snap that end mill like a tooth-pick. In order to salvage this front scope mount I used a regular 1/4" center cut end mill instead and cancelled the last milling operation which was a series of finishing passes with an even smaller diameter end mill. It would have given me a finish more like the one on my third prototype.

It still came out good to me. After I've de-burred it and painted it black, it should look even better.

I'm hoping to get at least one full set done so I can take my M92 with me to the range when I finally get the time to get away for more bullet testing.

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.

HollowPoint

750k2
12-07-2011, 09:07 AM
If you plan on making these please keep me in mind.
I would very much like a set - my optics are blurred;)

HollowPoint
12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the interest 750k2:

I originally posted this project in the "Swappin and Selling" section of this forum, just to see it there might be anyone who may be interested in a set of these scope mounts.

At the time, I had purchased enough metal stock to make me up a set of these scope mounts and have enough left over for three or four more that I could maybe sell or trade.

I kind of got ahead of myself in that I hadn't even made up my CAD drawings or milled any parts before posting. I was just trying to get a feel for any interest before making up more than one set of scope mounts.

As it turned out, there were a couple of other guys interested besides yourself. I'll be making myself the first set just to work out any bugs, then I'll use up the rest of my metal stock to finish a few more so I can call this project done.

During the Christmas season I'm pretty busy so I have to work on these when time permits. Also; this set of scope mounts is made to fit around the 44 magnum barrel and magazine. (that's what I shoot) They'll work on smaller diameter barrels and magazines but, you'd have to either have them made to the smaller diameters or use a thicker liner on the inner walls of the barrel and magazine holes.

In the pics I posted, my number three prototype has one layer of velcro padding. For my 44 magnum lever action Puma M92, this is just the right thickness to secure the mount on my gun. On smaller diameter barrels and magazine tubes, it may take two layers of padding.

Thanks again for the interest.

HollowPoint

750k2
12-08-2011, 07:28 AM
PM'd:drinks: