View Full Version : 15 bucks

onesonek
12-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Just scored this yesterday for my smokehouse build [smilie=w:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/onesonek/100_4312.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/onesonek/100_4314.jpg

MT Gianni
12-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Nice, is that a stainless or aluminum exterior?

onesonek
12-04-2011, 05:34 PM
The door is stnls, exterior sides and back is aluminum,,,,,not totally sure on the intereior. Once I remove the paint from the inside I will know for sure.

fatnhappy
12-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't bother removing the paint Dave. I didn't with mine.
Unless you have some plans to smoke at abnormally high temperatures the paint won't flake, chip or evolve any compounds.

onesonek
12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't bother removing the paint Dave. I didn't with mine.
Unless you have some plans to smoke at abnormally high temperatures the paint won't flake, chip or evolve any compounds.

I was thinking it might not bother also. Only thing would be, if for some reason I would BBQ a rack of ribs, and then I'm not sure 225 degrees would bother either. I just don't see using it for a large roaster at higher temps, but then I don't know that it might come in handy at times.

onesonek
12-07-2011, 04:10 PM
This is getting to be about like scrounging for the last 5gal of WW's, that cost me a case of beer.
I was talking with an aquaintence about a the type of gas valve I should have,,,,
Turned out he has a valve, pilot, transformer, and thermocoupler assembly, that I could have for a couple lbs of sausage when I get it all done.

Now I just need alil duct work, burner, and control panel.

fatnhappy
12-07-2011, 07:54 PM
well scrounged Dave!

Triggerhappy
12-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Nice smoke box. Well done. You'll have to post some pics when completed.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
looks nice dave

stubshaft
12-09-2011, 02:55 PM
That'll smoke some meat. When I saw your title I thought you had harvested a herd of deer.lol

onesonek
12-09-2011, 10:17 PM
That'll smoke some meat. When I saw your title I thought you had harvested a herd of deer.lol

Yeah,,,but you wouldn't have read anything beyond the title if I had put "Cheap Fridge" :twisted: lol

onesonek
12-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice smoke box. Well done. You'll have to post some pics when completed.

Soon as I get it all together.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2011, 10:18 AM
you might want to try something like i did. Putting a gas burner in the box makes it tough to get the temps down low enough to smoke summer sausage or snack sticks which have to be started around 130-140 degrees. I put my gas burner in that black lil smokey smoker and pipe the smoke over to the box. In the box i have an electric element that i use to tweak the temps up or down. I just used an old elect. fry pan cutting all the excess material around the heating coil and cut a small hole in the box to allow me to plug or unplug the temp probe/thermostat. Works good that way too if you want to cold smoke stuff like fish.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2011, 10:22 AM
One more thing is your going to want to insulate your box. I bought some cheap stuff at menards its looks like foil on the outside and is about 1/8 of an inch thick. I put it on with trim adhesive. Without it the highest i could get mine up to in the winter was about 180. Now it will go up to 250 without any trouble. the picture is before it was insulated. you might be able to get away without doing the insulation though as you started with a fridge and it should allready be insulated. As far as the paint i doubt it would hurt a thing. Before you smoke anything in it season it buy putting a coating of veg oil all over the inside and putting heavy smoke to it for a couple hours. that should seal in any odors the paint could possibly put out.