PDA

View Full Version : Ringing a Chamber?

dale2242
12-04-2011, 08:40 AM
There have been a lot of threads here about using fillers with small powder charges in large cases.
I am hearing a lot of "Don`t tamp the filler down against the powder charge. Leave it loose or you risk ringing the chamber." This is when dacron or any fluffy filler is used.
Has anyone here ever ringed a chamber by tamping the filler and leaving an air space between the powder and boolit or know of a DOCUMENTED case of this happening?
If you have, let`s have the exact specifics. Caliber, gun it was fired in, powder type, powder charge, type and amount of filler, boolit type and weight, etc.....dale

Bret4207
12-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Charlie Dell and Wayne Schwartz did a book called "The Modern Schuetzen Rifle". There is an entire chapter, IIRC, on what causes ringing. They went so far as ringing chambers on purpose to prove the theory out. Might try and find a copy to read up on it.

Jim
12-04-2011, 09:07 AM
I recently talked with a member here about using card stock wads over very light charges in .38 Spl. cases for a project I was working on. He brought me up to speed on the ringing thing.

I have used dacron and cotton for years without a problem, but never tried solid wads. I don't understand the physics of this, but I'm surmising the pressure drives the disc against the base of the boolit and causes this. With fibrous material like cotton or dacron, I think the pressure can get through the material and does not cause ringing. I'm just throwin' darts here, I don't have a clue.

Sure enough, I found evidence of the start of ringing with the cards. Never had it happen with the cotton or dacron. If you look at the case carefully, you can see the ring where the base of the G/Ced boolit is.

http://maliaphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p10100043-e1322609692276.jpg

44man
12-04-2011, 09:09 AM
I always follow procedure with Dacron by not leaving air space but that is a good question. Can you ring a chamber with Dacron?
I know other fillers can if the boolit acts like an obstruction to a moving filler.

Reload3006
12-04-2011, 09:14 AM
It certainly sounds reasonable I know that a lot of time bore obstructions instead of completely opening up the barrel will ring it at the place of the Obstruction. Either way it's a ruined barrel. Thanks for pointing that Out as I have been thinking of trying that Card thing.

hiram
12-04-2011, 04:15 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81742

The ring is the dark circle.

Marlin made the repair at no charge.

He seated the wad down on the powder. I can speculate that when the wad hit the bullet base it squished/expanded outward, causing the ring.

Char-Gar
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I recently talked with a member here about using card stock wads over very light charges in .38 Spl. cases for a project I was working on. He brought me up to speed on the ringing thing.

I have used dacron and cotton for years without a problem, but never tried solid wads. I don't understand the physics of this, but I'm surmising the pressure drives the disc against the base of the boolit and causes this. With fibrous material like cotton or dacron, I think the pressure can get through the material and does not cause ringing. I'm just throwin' darts here, I don't have a clue.

Sure enough, I found evidence of the start of ringing with the cards. Never had it happen with the cotton or dacron. If you look at the case carefully, you can see the ring where the base of the G/Ced boolit is.

http://maliaphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p10100043-e1322609692276.jpg

The air between the card wad and bullet base is compressed and that is the culprit.

calaloo
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
In the schuetzen rifle the bullet is often breech seated and a wad is used in the charged case to prevent the spilling of powder as the shell is inserted into the chamber. Charlie Dell did extensive experiments with ringing. To make a long story short he found that if a space of around .200 was left between the powder and the wad ringing would not occur. The bullet, of course, was some distance in front of the wad. If I recall correctly he could ring chambers at will using dacron wads. Charlie's desire was to work with older softer steel that original barrels were made from. He found that no steel that soft was made today so made up a barrel with removable brass chambers to use in his testing. It goes without saying that todays tougher steels are much more resistant to ringing.