PDA

View Full Version : 41 gas check ?

mart
12-04-2011, 02:41 AM
I had Accurate Molds build a mold for my 400 Whelen this past summer. It looks great and casts some great bullets. I just last night got around to sizing a few and when I tried to apply the gas checks found they were to small for the base. I have some of the BSS 41 caliber checks that I have had for several years. When I tried to seat them they damage the base of the bullet. They are too small ID to slip over the base. The mold was cut for a gas check. I am thinking the BSS checks are thicker than the Lyman I used to get. I see Lyman does not catalog the 41 checks any more. Are there any alternatives available in a thinner check? Thanks.

Mart

ReloaderFred
12-04-2011, 02:54 AM
You can grind a punch that would open the mouth of the check. Just tap it lightly and then slip in on the base of the bullet. I've also used a ball bearing that was the right size to open the mouth of the check, but that leaves a dimple in the bottom of the check.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Carolina Cast Bullets
12-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Check out our Vendor Sponsor, Blammer.

Go to the bottom of the page, click on "Group Buy - log in here", log in using your
Cast Boolits log in info. He markets gaschecks on that page of most any size, description
you most likely need. He does show a 41 cal check. All of his are crimp on style and
work very well.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Ranch Dog
12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
There are two 41 caliber checks, a pistol and a rifle. I suspect that your bullet was cut for the 41 rifle check (.416). Email me your address and I will be happy to send you a sample of the Hornady 41 caliber checks to see if they cure the issue. Hornady has dropped all their pistol caliber specific checks.

mart
12-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I swung into a little local shop today on my way home. They have a small section of used stuff, brass, partial boxes of bullets and used dies. There on the shelf was three unopened boxes of Lyman 41 gas checks. For $16 a box. I about ripped my pocket off getting my wallet out. I tried them on the bullets and they fit perfectly and crimp nicely. I do have an issue with my old 45 lubrisizer though. It wants to inject lube under the bullet no matter how I adjust the sizing depth. That leave dimples in the check. Am I missing something on adjusting the depth or is this an issue endemic to the Lyman 45? Thanks.

Mart

OuchHot!
12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
When I first got my 450 lubrisizer (thirty or so years ago) I had the same problem with lube under the base. I was able to adjust the vertical travel of the ram and then run the pressure low and just slightly bump it at the bottom of each stroke and eliminate the problem. Some people center drill the bottom plug to give the lube a place to go. I was able to eliminate the problem with adjustment and technique. Maybe that will work with the model 45.