PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 85 ultralight

jh45gun
12-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Just picked one up from a friend for a carry gun. Now I know there are some Taurus Haters here but I really like this gun from what I see. Very smooth nice trigger in SA and DA and at 17 oz nice to carry. Grips feel good also. Even though it is rated for +P I will just shoot probably standard loads in it as I never push any of my guns. Have not shot it yet but I am looking forward to it. Got to get some ammo first. Just got it today. Now this is not my first Taurus years ago I bought 66 357. Very accurate and a nice gun. I got the itch for a 44 mag so traded it in on used Blackhawk. Bad mistake that Blackhawk shot terrible. I had owned a BH before and that one shot great. I wish I would have kept the 66 in that particular trade. Anyway I have seen here that some of you like these 85 ultras so that's good.

Ranch Dog
12-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Looking forward to your report. I have a 605 and love it.

TCLouis
12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Coworker has an 85 and has had no trouble in 20 years, I have a 431 that has doe well in limited use so far.

tomme boy
12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I have one of these also. It shoots desent groups. But, it shoots about 1.5 feet high at 10yds. Also, make sure to buy good ammo. Make sure it has a heavy crimp. I get bullets that keep pushing forward on mine. It will lock up the gun. The recoil is sharp because of the lite weight. Thats wy the bullets are pushing forward also.

JeffHolt
12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Had one also.
Good gun- a pleasure to carry.

NuJudge
12-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I won a regular 85 in a pistol match some years ago. I let it sit in my safe for years. I shot it one day, and it shot quite accurately and to point of aim at 7 yards with 125gr bullets. This one, at least, is a decent pistol.

EMC45
12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I have a Model 85UL. Gave it to my Dad for the house. It is accurate for a snub and it shoots well.

jh45gun
12-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I have one of these also. It shoots desent groups. But, it shoots about 1.5 feet high at 10yds. Also, make sure to buy good ammo. Make sure it has a heavy crimp. I get bullets that keep pushing forward on mine. It will lock up the gun. The recoil is sharp because of the lite weight. Thats wy the bullets are pushing forward also.

Are you using a Lee factory Crimp Die? I would. Also on shooting high at ten yards then go to a lighter bullet. What weight bullet you shooting?

bcp477
12-04-2011, 09:26 PM
I have a model 851 myself (same as the mod 85, but with a shrouded hammer, ala the S&W "Bodyguard" series). Mine is all-steel, however (I don't care for alloy-framed guns, let alone polymer). Anyway, I now have about put about 1500 rounds through this gun, including 110 this afternoon. Works perfectly....and it's quite accurate with the right loads. The Taurus 38 Spl guns are regulated for 158 grain bullets at about 750 fps (this is per Taurus). After experimentation with a variety of bullets, I have settled on 158 grain SWC's, over about 3.5 grains of Hodgdon HP38. Shoots right to point-of-aim.....and 1.5" or smaller groups, at 10 yards.

tomme boy
12-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Factory only in this one. The only one that I have not had a problem with is the Win PDX +P. I think it is 130gr. I have this in the bed room. I originaly got this for the old lady to carry in her purse. But after seeing how it shot so high, I did not feel comfortable for her to carry it. So I bought her a Ruger LCP in 380. She loves it.

jh45gun
12-05-2011, 12:30 AM
lighter bullet will shoot lower How about the factory Federal 110 grain? Also how about standard loaded ammo that is not plus P? I would think not as not loaded ammo would shoot lower also.

jh45gun
12-05-2011, 12:35 AM
I have a model 851 myself (same as the mod 85, but with a shrouded hammer, ala the S&W "Bodyguard" series). Mine is all-steel, however (I don't care for alloy-framed guns, let alone polymer). Anyway, I now have about put about 1500 rounds through this gun, including 110 this afternoon. Works perfectly....and it's quite accurate with the right loads. The Taurus 38 Spl guns are regulated for 158 grain bullets at about 750 fps (this is per Taurus). After experimentation with a variety of bullets, I have settled on 158 grain SWC's, over about 3.5 grains of Hodgdon HP38. Shoots right to point-of-aim.....and 1.5" or smaller groups, at 10 yards.

Good to know thanks.

bobthenailer
12-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I have a UL 85 ,I bought it used , Its not a S&W but the price was right , im happy with it after changing the factory hard rubber grips to a set of hoag ruber grips . and lowering the front sight so it would hit at point of aim , it still shoots a liltle to the left but i will have to live with that.
as far as accuracy i was impressed ! at ranges less than 25 feet or less it shoots tight clusters at those ranges. if you conentrate.

ebner glocken
12-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Bought one for the wife a few years ago. Shoots well with white box winchester 125 JHP +p, to the point of aim @ 7 yards. Only real complaint was it still had some metal shavings still in it. Easy to fix.

Ebner

zardoz
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
I have a 606 .357 Magnum ported snubby, that I would not sell or trade at all. I must have got one of the golden "1 of a 1000", because that gun shoots like a dream. Feels perfect in the hand, and shoots to point of aim everytime, with a variety of loads from low level 38 Specials to hot .357 Magnums. The finish on it is perfect, without a blemish, and it just "feels" right. It loves those Lee 158-RNFP boolits. Eats them up, and shoots them straight.

I had traded a Remington 870 Magnum for it, and regretted that a bit as I missed the 870. So, about a year later, an 870 Super Magnum manifests itself for me, and it all worked out well in the end.

Rick N Bama
12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
My daughter has an 85UL, decent enought gun, but lordy is it forever a handful with +P ammo!

Rick

jh45gun
12-07-2011, 12:43 AM
My daughter has an 85UL, decent enought gun, but lordy is it forever a handful with +P ammo!

Rick

Have not shot mine yet gonna do so on Fri and it will not be with +P ammo gonna shoot a wheel full of wadcutters a friend gave me to try it out and a few HP loads that are not +P to the best of my knowledge. I just plan on shooting standard loads in this. I don't think you need a magnum load for protection with today's bullets

jh45gun
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Shot a couple of wheels full today to try it out with standard velocity loads. Accurate and very manageable. I like it.