PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using AA Data 86???

Bug
02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm doing some testing with a .243 Win., and Remington 100gr core-loct bullets.
First off, I am aware of the website data. They state that data 86 will load like AA3100 in most(all) standard cartridges. They also say that it will get slightly faster with large magnum cartridges. Their data for the .243 is exactly the same as that for AA 3100 (imagine that!)
Here's where I am:
Their max listed load is 43gr, and is listed as compressed. Well, it's not compressed in my loadings. They also list vel at 2966fps out of a 24" barrel. I didn't get near that, in a similar (24") barrel.
SO.
I have crept up, 1/2 gr at a time, to 47.5 gr, and am now getting 3100 avg velocity. This is a compressed load, but not by very much. I'm getting slightly flattened primers (still have nice rounded edges), and the primer pockets are staying tight. I realize this is probably near a max load in this rifle, and may not work at 100* July temps.
My next step will be to ream this barrel to .243 AI, and run the test again. The whole purpose is to see just what the practical net gain will be. I thought this would be interesting.

Does anyone see any flaws in my testing?
Anything I might be missing?
Should I also be running a parallel test with something like 4350? (Kind seems redundant, doesn't it?)
Got any tips/opinions about anything else I might do?
Anything about this particular powder I should consider?

Opinions & speculations welcome........................Bug.