PDA

View Full Version : Crayola Crayon Maker?

wallenba
12-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I just saw a childrens toy commercial for a Crayola Crayon Maker. It occurred to me it might have some uses in making expeimental batches of lube, or just to melt and fill my lubrisizer without making a mess in the kitchen. Anyone have a child that has one? I'd be interested in knowing if it could generate the heat or hold the volume necessary. It might be useful in small batch pan lubing as well.

DukeInFlorida
12-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Just steal the crayons from your favorite restaurant that offers them to kids, and melt em down in your own pan, etc.

I use a mason jar, 8 minutes on high in the microwave melts a FULL jar of lube.

So, stop taking the kids toys away from them, and use the big boy version.

wallenba
12-03-2011, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=DukeInMaine So, stop taking the kids toys away from them, and use the big boy version.[/QUOTE]

Cause I'm cheap! :bigsmyl2:

no34570
12-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Just steal the crayons from your favorite restaurant that offers them to kids, and melt em down in your own pan, etc.

Hahahaha.....good one! :) :)

41 mag fan
12-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Big boy version could make big mamma mad around here. I'd have to settle for the crayola kids toy.

wallenba
12-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Big boy version could make big mamma mad around here. I'd have to settle for the crayola kids toy.

I can understand that. The first time I made a batch of Lithabee it stunk up the house for a week! ( Lithium white grease, bee's wax and paraffin, forgot the ratio ).:mrgreen:

41 mag fan
12-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I can understand that. The first time I made a batch of Lithabee it stunk up the house for a week! ( Lithium white grease, bee's wax and paraffin, forgot the ratio ).:mrgreen:

You might of forgot the ratio, but I bet your big mamma didn't forget the smell. If its like my big mamma, "the boss never forgets" :bigsmyl2:

runfiverun
12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
so a new microwave is what 20 bucks more than the toy.

daschnoz
12-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I just saw a childrens toy commercial for a Crayola Crayon Maker. It occurred to me it might have some uses in making expeimental batches of lube, or just to melt and fill my lubrisizer without making a mess in the kitchen. Anyone have a child that has one? I'd be interested in knowing if it could generate the heat or hold the volume necessary. It might be useful in small batch pan lubing as well.

The funny thing is that I thought the same thing when I saw the same commercial.

10 ga
12-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Saw the same ad and thought it might be a good wax bullet swage.

midnight
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
When Ma and Dad both died this summer I ended up with a garage full of stuff to give away. No one wanted the old microwave. I think it just found a home near my casting bench.

Bob

lunicy
12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
the crayon maker sucks.
My kids have one. They can spot the shoddy-ness of it.
Its a lightbulb.
It holds very little.
It doesn't even make full size crayons.
You'd be better off with an easy bake oven.

daschnoz
12-06-2011, 11:18 PM
the crayon maker sucks.
My kids have one. They can spot the shoddy-ness of it.
Its a lightbulb.
It holds very little.
It doesn't even make full size crayons.
You'd be better off with an easy bake oven.

A VOX AC30? I hardly see how a guitar amp is going to help here. :kidding:

Papa Jack
12-14-2011, 03:56 AM

I have one , I have made dozens of crayons with it.....It only melts a small amount at a time, enough to make 3 crayons I think.... Uses a small light bulb to operate.
Fun to make crayons for the grandkids, especially when I have a couple shoe boxes full of broken crayons !
You'd be better off melting your wax in a old can or kettle..... PJ

lunicy
12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
A VOX AC30? I hardly see how a guitar amp is going to help here. :kidding:

It gets hot enough to melt wax, if you play well.

Plate plinker
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
So do crayons work as bool it lube? Or are they worthless?

DukeInFlorida
09-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Some crayons work well enough. Other do not.

Some of the better crayons add clay as a binder to make the crayon stronger. Binney's products (Crayola... I call em CLAYOLA) are among them.

The really cheap crayons are just about pure colored wax, with no clay filler. They're not really good all by themselves for lubing. They are good as an ingredient in your lube recipe, in lieu of paraffin wax. They are really best as a mere coloring agent.

You have to remember your color mix rules :

red plus blue = purple
yellow plus blue = green
brown plus anything = brown
black plus anything = mud

I really prefer the concentrated candle die I buy at the craft store. Stronger colors, and less hassle.

I prefer not to send clay down my barrel.

Green Frog
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
DukeinMaine,"I really prefer the concentrated candle die I buy at the craft store. Stronger colors, and less hassle.

I prefer not to send clay down my barrel."

+! on both points...candle die in a paraffin block is cheap at craft shops and works very well. Clay in a gun barrel sounds like a bad idea. :(

Add to that angry or tearful children unable to find the color they are looking for, and Uncle Froggie stays out of the crayon box!! :roll:

Plate plinker
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Ic thanks duke

Shiloh
09-08-2012, 08:15 PM
I've seen lube colored with crayons.

Shiloh