PDA

View Full Version : Goex BP in 45 Colt

blackhawk4545
12-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I want to try Goex BP in my Ruger Bisley 45colt. Does anyone have a suggestion for how much powder to use? I am useing ww lead in a 45-270-saa RCBS mold. And should I use mag. or std. pistol primers?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Mods., please feel free to move this to a more appropriate site.

Nobade
12-03-2011, 03:23 PM
For amount of powder, figure out where the base of the bullet is going to sit and give it about 1/8" compression, dropped from a measure or dipper. If this is too much and damages the bullet when you seat it, use a little less. FFFg or FFg will both work fine, FFFg will give you a little more speed and recoil.

Use standard primers, they're plenty. But realistically I don't see any difference between the two when shot in pistols.

Air cooled WW metal will work fine for bullets, just use a good soft BP lube. You have lots of choices there.

Consider how you are going to clean your cartridge cases when you are done. Without the right setup (universal decap die,wet tumbler and SS media) the cases are a lot more work to deal with than cleaning the revolver.

Have fun! I shoot nothing but black powder in my USFA 45 and Ruger 44, and they work wonderfully with it. Once you get used to working with black you'll have a ball.

frnkeore
12-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Noblade has good advise, I would add that, if you want a bit more velocity, look for some old balloon head cases. There around, I bought some at a gun show a few years ago. Second, for cleaning, you can't beat a ultrasonic cleaner. I found one for jewelery this last year at Goodwill for $6 and thats all I use now. Drop them in soapy water after shooting, then use hot soapy water in the ultrasonic. They won't be shiny but, they will be CLEAN.

Frank

blackhawk4545
12-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the great advise guys. My next ? was going to be how best to clean the brass.

blackhawk4545
12-03-2011, 05:15 PM
frnkeore.

Does the ultrasonic cleaner vibrate like a case tumbler?

John Boy
12-03-2011, 05:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_cleaning

frnkeore
12-03-2011, 08:37 PM
No, it vibrates at a rate that you can't feel but, will clean in about 12 - 15 min.

bigted
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
not familiar with your boolit but i shoot a 250gr with 36 gr goex 2f and a large pistol primer. this is a pretty powerfull load in a plow handle type revolver.

for cleaning the cases...drop em into a jug of dish soapy water after deprimeing. brush out when at home and rinse till clean water stays clean. then vibrate with lyman nutshell...[or equivalent ] then reload as per ussual. forgot the lube on the boolit...use an spg style bp lube and have fun.

revolver clean-up is a snap...spray down with a mixure of ballistol [25%] and water [75%] and let set for around 1/2 hour or the time it takes to clean the cases. then dunk in hot soapy water and nylon brush clean inside and out. dry inside with clean patchs till dry and pat dry the outside till same. then i spray rem oil [areosol ] everywhere till dripping inside n out...allow to cool and wipe dry with clean towel.

have a ball with the bp as it is very addictive and soon the urge to own many other bp style cartride shooters will overtake your senses and will demand you to purchase as many other guns as you can squeeze into your pocket book...plus a few more.