PDA

View Full Version : New RD .475 FC die (rifle)

Frank
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Ranch Dog can make this die in .475 if enough are interested. The die allows for an even crimp regardless of case length and it will provide for stronger crimps without case buckling. Even if there is no crimp groove, it will make a groove in a jacketed or cast bullet. This die is different than a standard pistol FC die.

Currently RD has them available in smaller calibers up to .45 Colt. They are $20. Who would be interested in this die in .475?

Pepe Ray
12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I would!
Pepe Ray

subsonic
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Me too.

How bout make it for .480 and ship it with a spacer for .475?

Pepe Ray
12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Subsonic, that's a great idea.
That would save me from the work of improvising.
Pepe Ray

Frank
12-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Imagine this in the Christmas stocking. Mmmm, Ranch Dog goodies. :redneck:
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/images/FCD.jpg

Ranch Dog
12-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Just to be clear, I do not make the dies, Lee does. The minimum order Lee will accept from a dealer is 100 units! There really must be a apparent need for these or I cannot commit to the purchase. I would sell them for $20 but you can buy the from Lee right now through the special order process for $30. If you call them you might not even need to send them the cartridge if they have made one in the past. Here is the FAQ: Custom Factory Crimp Dies (http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/48/8/custom-factory-crimp-dies)

Frank
12-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks, Ranch Dog. I was looking at Lee's info. but from what I can see on that page, they won't make a rifle style FC die, unless the case is at least as long as .223 Remington.

Pepe Ray
12-04-2011, 12:56 AM
I've got one for 44-40.
Picked it up 2nd hand at a gun show.
So----what now?
Pepe Ray

Ranch Dog
12-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Ranch Dog. I was looking at Lee's info. but from what I can see on that page, they won't make a rifle style FC die, unless the case is at least as long as .223 Remington.

You just have to talk to them and tell them I sent you. Tell them you have the my FCD offerings and would like one for the 475 or 480.

I'm just not sure that I could sell any other than from the supporters here. I'm facing a similar situation with both the 308 and 338 Marlin Express. Members on that forum where pushing for them and I sold some when I introduced them but I'm stuck with a bunch of them. I only have a few of them in the product count on my store as I'm trying to sell them by the shipping container to other retailers and that will be a loss for me. Haven't sold one retail in a month or so and that doesn't work.

Those two cartridges are a real sore spot for my store. A lot of effort in development but I now feel that a guy that tends to buy those rifles is a pointy bullet shooter and will never be swayed by a cast bullet out the barrel. I cannot get rid of the 338 molds soon enough to suit me. I have a bullet that shoots very well out of my 308MX but have decided not to take it to inventory based on what I've learned in the school of ME hard knocks. Like the FCDs, I supported the cartridges with Lee trimmers and after the initial few have sold none. I do have a dealer that is going to buy my inventory of those. I will be glad to dust my hands off from both of these cartridges...

Frank
12-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Pepe Ray:

I've got one for 44-40.
Picked it up 2nd hand at a gun show.
So----what now?
Pepe Ray
Tell us if it really works as advertised.

There is no excuse now for bullets jumping crimp if you have a die available to make a crimp groove on a bullet.

I'll check with Lee. I use the RCBS seating die for roll crimp. The way I handle different case lengths is I adjust the die 2 turns die contact with the ram. This is so it doesn't cam over. Then I can feel just the right crimp, but it needs a crimp groove, which I have because I have a good bullet. But if I only had the Lee bullet or RCBS then the FC rifle die would be a benefit.

birddog
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Sign me up Frank, agreed Mike has some excellent products and we casters need to solicit business towards these individuals or our art may be lost.
Charlie[smilie=w:

Love Life
12-06-2011, 12:36 AM
If you haven't used one of these FCD you don't know what you are missing. I have one for 357 magnum and it is the bee's knees.

Frank
12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I checked with Lee. They can make the rifle style FC die in .475 but it has to be the large size, 1 1/4 X 12, for the .475. It is $80. The large die can be used in the Lee classic press.

subsonic
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
I own a classic press....