PDA

View Full Version : Picking a case gauge

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Since over the years I do most of my long distance reloading on a single stage, I've used RCBS precision mics with good success.

Now I'm setting up resizing for mass produced cartridges on a progressive press that I want to chamber in any AR I or a buddy owns. For that, I'm wanting to setup my full length resizer to SAAMI specifications. We own rifles in .223 and .308.

Of the available brands, which would be preferable (price and quality considered) for reloading .223 and .308?

Note: I have very dry hands and rust is a non issue for me related to my use of a part. Even Lee dies seldom rust on me unless I store them in a garage for an extended period of time.

Please after you've answered the poll, post if you have more than one brand and why you prefer the brand you do.

Thanks,

Dave

rmcc
12-03-2011, 08:26 AM
LE Wilson or Dillon. I have mostly LE Wilsons & 1 Dillon in 9mm. Dillon is well made but not machined as smooth as Wilsons. I have them in 223, 308, 3006. As you stated, all my loads for my AR goes through the gauge. If they don't fit the gauge, even though some would chamber, I pull the bullet & powder and scrap the case. Since I have been doing this I have had zero FTF ammo related. Using the gauge you KNOW your ammo is right. It doesn't take that long to gauge a bunch of loads. Good luck with your volume loading!

Rich

Rich

Baron von Trollwhack
12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
The problem is that if you reload for, let's say six 223s you may have 5 thousandths difference in measured fired cartridge headspace on your RCBS Precision MIC depending on which gun they were fired in. For an AR I want a miniumum of 1 1/2 to 2 thousandths HS clearance in chambering a cartridge. To much and accuracy and case life goes down, too little and you risk slamfires/chambering issues.

In a bolt gun in actuality you can force a bit of overlong case into the chamber without worries, not so in a gas gun. Thus you may end up bulk loading for three of the six rifles with one gauge measurement on the MIC and the other three guns might need two long HS measaurements (which reflect F/L die settings) and one short one to meet your cartridge fit criterion.

Of course you could make them all fit the shortest HS measurement and forget case life and get reduced accuracy.

A Wilson 223 cartridge gauge gives you a guessed actual eyeball measurement, not a measured number. The one MIC gauge for each caliber is better because it is a precise variability measuring tool. HS control in Garand manufacture was one of the things that gave them their accuracy. This allowed many ammo manufacturers to make ammo with similar tolerances.

BvT

Go over to accurate shooter .com and look at their cartridge guide information re .223/.308.

Hip's Ax
12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I have all Wilson gages and the 223, 308 and 30-06 are used a lot. EVERY piece of brass for my AR, M1A and M1's goes through that gage after prep and before priming. The Wilson gage checks over all length and head space in one shot. If you are reloading for more than one rifle I would think resizing to the lower step on the gage would be a good idea.

Slam fires are a worry and between the gage and making sure the primers are below flush I figure thats all I can realistically do to reduce the risk of slam fires in my service rifles. That and I use CCI #34's in my 7.62 M1 because of the extra half an inch of unnecessary bolt travel.

I use to buy Wilson gages for every caliber I reload for but I quit buying them for my bolt guns because as previously stated you will feel some resistence closing the bolt and then you know the next time you reload that batch of cases you have to knock the shoulder back with a body die.

Since I only own Wilson gages I cannot comment on the other brands quality but my Wilson gages are made very nice, the machining is perfect to my eyes and considering the apparent quality the price is surprisingly low in my opinion.

btroj
12-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't use any of the above. For my AR I use the Stoney Point tool to measure case length to the datum line on the shoulder. My die is set to push the should back 1 or 2 thousandths. The die doesn't get moved from the turret on my press some just size and go. Never had a slam fire or any other ammo related issues.
If loading for multiple rifles just find which has the tightest chamber and load for it, the ammo will then fit all the others. My AR was rebarreled by a guy who knows what he is doing, all 3 barrels from him used the same length to the datum line. A gauge would have been of no use.

LUBEDUDE
12-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Everything I load goes through a gauge, even the shotgun. I mostly have Dillon, but a few Wilson, a couple of no name and a custom one for the 12 ga.

Sonnypie
12-04-2011, 02:36 PM
In a word: Wilson

jimkim
12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I think a better question would be which one do you use. I have a buddy who has a mix of Dillon, Wilson, and Lyman. I really can't see where one is better than the others. I ordered Dillon gauges because I wanted to keep my acct. up to date.

noylj
12-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Never needed one. The barrel works just fine. Loading a couple of inert dummy rounds works fine.
If I was forced to get one, I would probably get a Wilson, but I would use it as a paper weight.

lesharris
12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I use wilson .
Case gauges are very useful to check for any burs on the rims of the cases.