PDA

View Full Version : Experience w/Rim Rock Boolits?

trw
12-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Just purchased some of their .430 240gr. RNFP for use in a Marlin .44mag w/Micro groove bbl. that I wish to shoot in some cowboy PC matches. Anyone have experience w/these boolits? They are moderate hard cast bevel base.

Can anyone recommend a good load that will avoid leading? I don't need a lot of velocity and will not be allowed to use the gun if it damages the silhouette targets. I'm thinking something in the up to 1200fps range, but sub sonic is probably adequate to knock a ram down w/that weight boolit.

I am new to casting; have a furnace, Lyman sizer, some scrap gathered, even a couple of molds w/handles &c., but have yet to take the plunge & try actually doing it .. soon, this coming year in the spring. Meantime, thanks for any thoughts on these Rim Rock boolits. I've learned a lot from reading here. Thank you all for that too!!

rintinglen
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
If it fits your barrel, that boolit should do just fine. 8.5 grains of unique or 17.5 grains 2400 should work well, at least those work for me in my marlin cowboy. YMMV.

TXGunNut
12-04-2011, 10:51 AM
No experience with the product you mentioned but can assure you that with practice and the proper tools you can cast better. What's holding you back?

lbaize3
12-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Been a while since I last ordered from Rim Rock. Remember them as good bullets of the hard cast and hard lubed variety. I suggest you look into Trail Boss loads for the 44 mag.