PDA

View Full Version : My new device.

W.R.Buchanan
12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I got a Lyman DPS 3 for my birthday. Actually I got it for myself for my birthday, but what the hey?

I got this machine because I needed a way to dispense stick powder consistantly and quickly. My attempts at getting a normal powder measure to work right failed miserably. It just took too long to drop a short powder charge and then trickle it to weight. So some other solution was necessary. there are certainly other brands available but I got this one based on price and reviews I read.

I was bummed that the box it came in said Made in China on the bottom.

Most of my reloading for .30-06-and .308 is using IMR4895 which just won't meter consistantly from mechanical measures..

Last night was my first use of the new machine and I must say that after a brief start up, that I was able to use this tool effectively with only about 5 minutes of break in time. I was what was being broken in. IE learning curve.

My charge was 45.0 gr of IMR 4895 and the machine was dispensing to +/- .1 gr in about 20 seconds.

I was able to do my standard, charge case, seat bullet, and crimp type of loading sequence while the machine was dropping the next charge, and not have to wait. I loaded 50 rounds of .308 in about 30 minutes.

It was not unpleasant to be around and has a nice whirring gear noise it emmits while working,,, ending with a beep when the charge is done and checked by the machine.

To change charge weight all you do is enter in another number and away you go.

For my type of rifle loading where I don't drop charges from a powder measure into a block of open cases, but load each round complete, this tool works very well and I'm glad I got it. Just hope it keeps working like it's supposed to. I see alot of usage for it. :Fire:

Randy

cigarman454
12-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Congratulations I just bought a Pact its awesome. For large flake and extruded powders there the way to go. I hope you get a lifetime of service out of it. Your right no using the loading blocks any more.

zomby woof
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I love mine

milprileb
12-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Just went through all of this last night. Having the RCBS combo measure/ scale digital gizmo, I had developed test loads and finally arrived at a 38 grain loading that is perfect for my 303 British loads. So , wisely I told myself, just set up the Ohaus Duo Measure and throw 38 gr of IMR 4895 in 40 cases and get a supply of this accurate load for future use.

Despite "Technique" and consistent use of that measure, it threw 4895 with the precision of a shovel of gravel.

Ended up with my bottom line: Why did I not use my digital scale/powder measure in the first place? Why on earth did I think I could save time using the powder measure? Why don't I just retire all powder measures and just go high tech and have precise loads for every round?

Unless some expert can tell me the Culver or Redding Bench Rest powder measure will toss 4895 precisely, I am off powder measures from now on unless its on the progressive press for pistol loads.

Rifle: I am going to ignore powder measures and tricklers from now on.

Pact vs Lyman vs Hornady vs RCBS units ? I don't know but I got the RCBS and it does great if the idiot owning it will wake up and smell the coffee.

Maven
12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
milprileb, Joe Brennan (joeb) studied various [manually operated] powder measures and found that almost all had difficulty with the coarser grained, i.e., extruded, propellants. If I recall correctly, the old Belding & Mull was one of the more consistent ones. I think Joe's results are included in the 2nd edition of his Cast Bullet book/CD. Btw, I'd always read that the Ohaus Du-O-Measure was highly accurate, even with extruded powders. I have one and found it was the only measure I had which would throw a reasonably consistent, i.e., within 4gr. : 48gr., charge of the extra chunky IMR 5010 milsurp powder.

felix
12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Anything that helps with making consistent ammo is a good thing. However, the warehouse experiments back in the late 70s-early 80s concluded that dropping powder was one of the LEAST significant operations in producing BR accuracy, and emphasis would be better placed on the other factors. The most important item more easily modified was the case itself. In our situation the emphasis should be placed on the boolit. ... felix

milprileb
12-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Maven,

This measure was tossing 38 gr of IMR 4895, the 37.8, then 38.4. then 38.2 etc etc

If I read your reply, this is kind of acceptable charges for a powder measure ?

Would this measure be normal ?

LUBEDUDE
12-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Glad to hear that the DP 3 works well.

I bought a DP2 years ago when they first came out and have never used it. I don't load rifle and I use progressive presses.

I understand that there is an inexpensive upgrade for the DP2 to bring up to a DP3, which sounds nice.

Maybe I will need it down the road.

Sonnypie
12-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Despite "Technique" and consistent use of that measure, it threw 4895 with the precision of a shovel of gravel.

Pact vs Lyman vs Hornady vs RCBS units ? I don't know but I got the RCBS and it does great if the idiot owning it will wake up and smell the coffee.

ROTFLOL! [smilie=l:

You guys make me feel really good about my 50+ year old Redding (cast iron).
It still throws great charges.
Mostly in IMR 4895 and now, Unique for cast loads. I drop 50, then check randomly with my 5-0-5.

I'd like one of them digital's, but I can't justify it in my head for a single caliber. I only precision load for 30-06.

"the precision of a shovel of gravel" LOL! [smilie=l:

W.R.Buchanan
12-04-2011, 03:22 PM
I hadn't been able to justify it either until it became my Birthday present to me, then it got easy.

For loading the .30-06-and .308's that I shoot for NM and HP silhoutte the time it was taking to whip up enough for the up coming match was taking way too long and the problem was in the powder drop.

I have heard that the charge weight is the least important variable, but +/- .5 gr just seemed a little too sloppy for me. I know most of my BR buddies just use a Redding or Harrel measure, but they are using ball powders and not the gravel I am using, so they don't have this problem.

One of the other great things about this tool is the ability to change charges by just re-entering a new number and being able to start filling cases immediately after.

I loaded 50 .45-70 cases last night with charges varying from 25-35 gr of 5744. I loaded 10 each at 25-27-29-32 & 35 gr. It took seconds to change the charge weight and they all were right on from the first to the last. This machine really shines for this type of loading. And working up loads just became way less time consuming.

I watched a show about complete socitial breakdown last night and if I had to bug out,,, my new Powder Machine will probably be staying home and the Lee loaders a hammer and my 40 year old Redding No 1 beam scale will be going.

But until then, I like my new toy!

Randy