PDA

View Full Version : Shooting 148Gr. full wadcutter/hollow base, in Marlin 336,35Rem.

Dthunter
12-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Has anyone on this forum shot these hollow based full wadcutters in a 35Remington?
They are a soft, swedged bullet.

I have the Marlin 336, XLR stainless .
Ballard rifling.

What kinds/charges of powders?
I just want a load to shoot accurately to 50 yards or so.

Thanks guys, and straight shootin!

Got-R-Did
12-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Pure conjecture here, but a near dead soft lead hollow based bullet probably shouldn't be pushed too fast due to potentially excessive leading in the bore. Likewise too slow of a speed might stick a bullet in the bore given the longer barrel and increased coefficient of friction. Why not just shoot harder alloyed cast gas-checked or plain based SWCs?
Got-R-Did

Four Fingers of Death
12-02-2011, 07:05 AM
The swaged ones are generally pretty much pure lead and don't carry much lube. This is fine in a 38 target load. Given a 20" Bbl and a big case I think you are headed for grief.

Too fast and you will get skirt separation and stuckintheboreitus. Too slow and the bullet might jam, again leading to a nasty case of stuckintheboreitus, not to mention a poorly lubed, dead soft and completely obturated boolit, jammed fast.

If uou have a lot of these bullets, (I can't think of any other reason you would want to use them), you shouldn't have any trouble swapping them for more suitable semi wadcutters or rnfps.

Reload3006
12-02-2011, 11:09 AM
if you run them in a rifle with the hollow base down as designed I believe your headed for grief. Speer manual says even in 38 357 only load them light the hollow base was to seal the bore. and too much of that is a bad thing. However you may have some success using them as a hollow point wadcutter. still not much lube there you will definitely want to roll in LLA and dry motor mica My .02 all that if you try to shoot even normal cast velocities I think you may regret it.

williamwaco
12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
if you run them in a rifle with the hollow base down as designed I believe your headed for grief. Speer manual says even in 38 357 only load them light the hollow base was to seal the bore. and too much of that is a bad thing. However you may have some success using them as a hollow point wadcutter. still not much lube there you will definitely want to roll in LLA and dry motor mica My .02 all that if you try to shoot even normal cast velocities I think you may regret it.

I tried that many years ago but in a revolver. They will make it out the barrel but they don't perform well.

They are not stable and they rarely hit nose on so they don't expand, they just bend over.

Jim
12-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Nowhere near the same, but this is the closest I can come to offering anything that might help.
http://jgcphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p10100053-e1322159989531.jpg

357Mag
12-02-2011, 01:54 PM
DTHUNTER-

Howdt !

Please ck your PM's.

Regards,
357Mag

Dthunter
12-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I kind of expected a potential problem with this.
Just wanted to use em up.

I guess I will shoot them from my .357 Timberwolf carbine.

rintinglen
12-02-2011, 11:32 PM
No problem what so ever. 7 - 8 grains of Unique will work just fine. Understand that this is a single load proposition that won't feed through the magazine, and you'll be just fine.