PDA

View Full Version : So I look on Lipseys and.....

Potsy
12-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I've been pretty busy with work lately and between that and trying to hunt just a little I missed what may be old news.

Some time back there was a discussion about the new Flattop, Convertible, medium frame blackhawk .45 Colts Lipseys was offering with a 5.5" barrel. I said I'd wait for the 4-5/8" model.

Well guess what's there........

Really hate to part with my 624 but not sure how long those guns will last and that's about the only way I'll be able to finance it.

contender1
12-02-2011, 12:18 AM
I'd place my order for the Ruger, and figure out a way to keep the 624 AND get the new gun. Money can be made, but once you sell a gun, "seller remorse" will creep up on you.

376Steyr
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I suspect Ruger will put the .45 Flattop in their catalog before too long, alongside the .44 Special that they ran for Lipsey's and then added to their lineup. The odds of S&W making another no-lock 624 are quite a bit longer.

Char-Gar
12-03-2011, 03:42 PM
I continue to be very happy with my Lipsey's 45 Flatop, for all the reasons previously mentioned. I took it out last weekend and fired 100 rounds of cast bullet 45 Colt handloads. The loads was RCBS 270 SSA cast from straight ACWW, sized .452 and seated over 20/H4227. Accuracy was outstanding and when I got home, I put a little Ed's Red on a brass brush and gave the barrel six stroked followed by clean patches. The barrel was sparkling with zero traces of lead. Ruger has broken the code on how to make smooth barrels.

This pistol have never had a jacketed bullet through it.

From other reports about this and other recent Ruger SA handguns, it would appear that quality has taken a big jump forward at Ruger. Some folks have opined that US Firearms is eating their lunch and Ruger is playing catch up ball.

I don't know the why of it, but I can tell you this Liepsey's 45 FT is a major increase in quality and a very fine sixgun that needs no fixing out of the box.

For the record I prefer the 5.5" barrel to all others. I did install a SBH hammer on mine and that helps folks with arthritic hands cock the hammer.

Potsy
12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Kinda been mulling on it the last few days, and you're right about the 624.
Prolly wait till after new years and see how money runs and buy it outright.
I just have this idea that gun and 270-SAA's and 9.0 grn H-Universal (maybe cut it back to 8.0 if it bucks too much to suit me) ought to be a nice, light little thumper.