PDA

View Full Version : Dumb wheelgun gripping ?

milsurpcollector1970
02-21-2007, 04:56 PM
What is the proper way to hold the cowboy guns like the superblackhawk when shooting. hese guns were all designed before 2 handed shooting came into vouge

I cant imagine shooting a 7" SBH with 1 hand while hunting so hows it done?

I have shot modern revolvers with 2 hands and i know how to grip them, but the grips on the cowboy style wheelguns do not lend themselves to that type of grip

MtJerry
02-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag (7.5 barrel) and the grip is designed to allow the revolver to roll upwards at the shot to minimize felt recoil.

I am right-handed and this is my technique.

Grip with my right hand, and then cover the opposing side with the left hand. Allow your little finger of the left hand to ride underneath the grip, with the upper fingers overlapping the fingers of the right hand.

At the shot, allow the gun to come up and to the left as it naturally wants to go. Don't fight it. You will be amazed at the kind of high-end loads that become very managable by using that grip AND allowing the gun to recoil up and to the side.

Ricochet
02-21-2007, 05:13 PM
I hold it in my right hand and cup my left hand under it. Works fine.

BruceB
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
My wife once administered two Lyman 429244s to a bull moose, one-handed because the other hand was seriously damaged moments before.

Two rounds in the neck from 65 yards, and one dead moose. Super Blackhawks DO work one-handed (if they have to!)

dubber123
02-21-2007, 06:32 PM
BruceB, you can't just give us a tidbit of a story like that! ELABORATE MAN! Sound like a good one.

Bass Ackward
02-21-2007, 06:33 PM
What is the proper way to hold the cowboy guns like the superblackhawk when shooting. These guns were all designed before 2 handed shooting came into vouge

I cant imagine shooting a 7" SBH with 1 hand while hunting so hows it done?

I have shot modern revolvers with 2 hands and i know how to grip them, but the grips on the cowboy style wheelguns do not lend themselves to that type of grip

MSC,

I .... am .... not really .... sure I understand the problem?

I use exactly the same grip for single and double actions of all sizes because I cock both the same way.

That is to say I never alter or change my grip of the firing hand from the time I clear leather until I re-holster the weapon. The non firing hand has two fingers under, two wrapped around the lower fingers and the thumb resting over the top.

I shoot both one handed and two for precision work on out beyond 50 yards. Snap shooting is always one handed.

Larry Gibson
02-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Just goes to show there's different strokes for different folks or more than one way to skin the cat! I lay the the bottom three fingers of the non firing hand right over the top of the bottom fingers of the firing hand. Index finger of the non firing hand is forward and resting on the bottom of the trigger guard. I use a "push pull grip where the shooting hand slightly pushed forward and the non firing hand pulls back slightly. This gives a quite solid two hand grip and recoil control (except with the really really big bruisers where you want more flex or movement of the arms to absorb recoil). The thumb of the non firing hand lays over and on top of the firing hand thumb. When the single or double action revolver is fired and the revolver rolls up in recoil (more of a "roll"with a SAA type grip) the thumb of the non firing hand comes up on the hammer and cocks it as the revolver comes down out of recoil and back on target. The thumb merely slides back down as the sight picture is regained. Much faster to do than to explain.

I do not lay the thumb of the non firing hand over the back of the firing hand behind the hammer. This because I also shoot autos and that is a very bad place for the thumb to be, I have the scar on top of the thumb to prove it, if one use a "high shooting grip" on autos.

Larry Gibson

felix
02-21-2007, 07:14 PM
I personally use Larry Gibson's method. It is called the "rock and fire" method, where you let the body roll back with the recoil, and not the arms. This method gives the best recovery for the second shot when shooting double action. I used enough push-pull to make the front sight wiggle around the target rather than try and make the gun stationary. You will shoot a better "timed" group when the push-pull is more moderate, though. Increase the pressure back up for "rapid fire". ... felix

MT Gianni
02-21-2007, 07:57 PM
My wife once administered two Lyman 429244s to a bull moose, one-handed because the other hand was seriously damaged moments before.

Two rounds in the neck from 65 yards, and one dead moose. Super Blackhawks DO work one-handed (if they have to!)

If she was motivated I would bet it sounded like double action. GIanni.

MGySgt
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Bruce - she sure sounds like one lady you don't want to P!$$ Off!

Drew

BruceB
02-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Okay, group; I posted the whole moose story up in the "Shooters" Forum.....might's well brag to EVERYONE, right?

mtngunr
02-23-2007, 04:02 AM
One thing about single action shooting that is critical is CONSISTANT grip....this is true of any firearm, but single actions demand it.....as previously noted, SA's are noted for the barrel rising and the grip plunging, which puts the hammer where you need it for cocking......on hard kickers, it also puts the hammer spur through the web of your hand, which is why the Bisley grip is popular with many shooters of rotary hand cannons....back to grip, since the hammer takes forever to fall with a crash like Thor just swung it, and since the gun moves a LOT under recoil, it will take a steady hold and consistant grip and follow-through to get the gun to shoot to its potential....change of grip pressure will change point of impact, often radically.....SA's can group with the best of them, but they frustrate many shooters due to lack of consistant grip.....it really doesn't matter whether you fire it offhand (that's one-hand for the youngsters, and "duelist" for cowboy shooters) or with two hands (in any grip or stance that's comfortable), so long as your hold is steady and consistant.....and that will take a LOT of shooting.....and then you will see.....oh, and I often reshape my SA grips, especially the wide Rugers.....rounding off and slimming the sharp edges of the bottom flare/swell will do wonders, as will rounding sharp edges behind the trigger guard on the front....buy a spare set of grips to hack on, if you wish....they can certainly be had for cheap enough, and this would be mandatory on an older gun with out-of-print grips (there's been a lot of changes over the years)......

Four Fingers of Death
02-23-2007, 07:59 AM
I find one handed is best with my BHs in 44mag, allows the grip to work as designed and roll the gun up, presenting the hammer close to your thumb for recocking, as I have said many times, 'How neat is that?'

44man
02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I just don't see a problem with the "hog leg" at all. Shoot it with one hand or two the way you like to hold it. They are just not sensitive at all. I spent many days practicing on 200 meter rams and tried every hold possible, tight, loose, lower on the grip, you name it, and was still hitting where the sights were.
The Bisley shot OK but beat my large, middle knuckle something fierce. I sold that one fast. The Bisley is NOT for everyone! Large hands are a disaster.
Now the S&W model 29 is an abortion for grip sensitivity. A few thousandths of an inch difference, or a few pounds difference, means a missed target at 50 meters. The gun will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 but you will walk all over by changing how it is held.
Shoot the Ruger the way it feels good to you.
Long live the hog leg!

Four Fingers of Death
02-23-2007, 05:13 PM
The Bisley shot OK but beat my large, middle knuckle something fierce. I sold that one fast. The Bisley is NOT for everyone! Large hands are a disaster.

Yep! big guys don't hang onto their Bisleys for long, hurts too much. I have a crazy quilt of timy scars on the web of my thumb from the hammer and no doubt will end up with arthritus from the pounding the joint took under my thumb. It was an eagerly awaited revolver that I was glad to see the back of. Loveeeeeee my other rugers, all hoglegs though!

C1PNR
02-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I do not lay the thumb of the non firing hand over the back of the firing hand behind the hammer. This because I also shoot autos and that is a very bad place for the thumb to be, I have the scar on top of the thumb to prove it, if one use a "high shooting grip" on autos.

Larry Gibson
Hey, Larry! Isn't it interesting how long a lesson in the "school of hard knocks" lasts!

Almost 40 years ago my brand new 1938 Commercial model Beretta 9mm Corto (gift of my brand new Wife) taught me the same lesson. Haven't made the same mistake since!

But I really do like to shoot the single actions one handed. I don't know if it's a holdover from Bullseye shooting, but I don't think so. It just seems more natural to hold a single action in one hand.

I do use a two hand grip for the double action and semi autos, for the most part anyway. Sometimes the Colt Army Special (.32-20), or some of the other old guys, just call out for sticking one hand in your pocket and the other straight out, to see if you can "still make it work!"[smilie=1:

leftiye
02-23-2007, 10:46 PM
After market, and custom, and make 'em yerself (my choice) grips come in a very wide variety of shapes and sizes one of which (fills the area behind the trigger) will fit any hand, and stops any given problem in a single action. Factory grips? As the 60s rock group "War" said "what is it good for?"

44man
02-24-2007, 10:20 AM
The Bisley does not lend itself to a filled area behind the trigger guard because the whole grip is higher and farther foreward. Filling this would make you hold the grip too low.

leftiye
02-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Mine works fine!

44man
02-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Send picture, your hands must be smaller then mine. I would like to see yours.

leftiye
02-28-2007, 12:22 AM
It might be a while, I'm not Computer adept, and my sexytary isn't around much lately. I'll pm it to you (someday). I made it myself. It fills in behind the trigger guard but not completely, but it doesn't bruise the middle finger. Lengthens the grip some with the little finger below the bottom of the frame, but not too much more than Pachmayrs do. Has finger grooves, and thumb rest. Pretty standard. Really handles recoil well. Mine's a .45 Colt Bisley (Ruger).

44man
02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Sounds good. My problem with the Bisley is I have a very large middle knuckle from shooting archery all my life. It might be 1-1/2 to 2 times larger then a normal knuckle. Shooting 80 + pound bows will sure make them large. Combine that with large hands (Even extra large gloves are tight.) and the Bisley gets painful in a hurry.
My one friend has a problem too because his hands, even though not large, are fat, all of his fingers are large. His are from messing with horses and I don't know how he does any small work with them.
I always tell guys to look at their hands before selecting a gun.