PDA

View Full Version : Strange Idea

daschnoz
12-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I had a thought - never a good thing....

1. Have a swage die and GC mold made with the same bullet shape.
2. Buy 5/16" (0.3125") O.D. copper tubing.
3. Cut into short lengths (0.75" or so).
4. Swage these into 0.308" OD jackets that have a pointed open tip. The base will be open.
5. Put this jacket into the mold (tip down) and pour to fill out the tip and the core.
6. Apply GC to "seal" the base.

Effectively, I would have a soft point jacketed bullet with a closed base. My thinking is that if the copper jacket is not full length, I don't need to be super precise with my tubing lengths. Any excess length would be taken up in the taper that is the tip, so there will be differing amounts of lead exposed at the tip. Since the outside contours of the jacket match the contours of the mold, it will self-align and the base of the copper jacket would fit right up to the GC.

In theory, it sounds like it should work. They may not be the most consistent, but for blasting ammo, they should work just fine.

Thoughts?

Crawdaddy
12-04-2011, 11:19 PM
I do something similar for my 458 bullets made out of 44 mag cases. When the lead cools it contracts and will suck down below the edge of the case. What I do to overcome this is over fill it and the face it in a lathe. Time consuming but it works well.

I then run it through the sizer to assure a tight fit between case and core.