PDA

View Full Version : Using vintage stuff on a hunt...

Chris Smith
12-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm off to meet a friend at daylight tomorrow morning (Dec. 2) to make an all day deer or maybe hog hunt. The rifle of choice will be a Remington Model 141 in .35 Remington. According to the date code- DK- it was made in Sept. of 1941. To keep my hands warm I will be using my dads Jon-E hand warmer in it's original bag. He got it in 1955 and I'll probably light it with his Airflam lighter which is from about the same era. Too bad I don't have a red plaid Woolrich coat.

bmanis
12-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Good luck. If tomorrow morning is anything like this morning was here in AL, you should have an awesome day.

Bmanis

smoked turkey
12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Chris I'd say the day will be great for you. Your dad would be very proud. I think I see a Woolrich coat in your future! I don't believe in "luck" exactly. I think as a good hunter who does the necessary homework with his rifle, and in reading sign, scouting, etc that you make your own luck. With that said I think there is hunter's or fishermen's luck. So I say good hunting and good luck tomorrow.

Chris Smith
12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
No deer. Actually there could have been as I fell asleep for a while. Friend shot a spike buck that was about 100 pounds. Range to target...45 steps. Swamps offer such long shots. But it was a nice time had by all.

richhodg66
12-04-2011, 11:02 AM
I really like those old model 141s and love the .35 Remington. It's nice to use old guns and tools, just makes for a more memorable experience.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
There was a time when red plaid hats, coats, pants and leather lace up boots at almost knee height was the uniform of every WWII Veteran I knew in deer season.

BvT

Reg
12-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I cannot think of the deer blind I havn't fallen asleep in. Woke up one time and there was a neat little 4 point not 5 feet away from me wondering what in the heck was that !!!! Other times have come to and got the shot I wanted and brought home the meat. All part of the game. Generally unless the weather is totally crappy it is the combination of the clean air, the birds and other critters scratching around and the general overall peace.
Looking forward to it next year and hopefully for many years to come.

:drinks:

W.R.Buchanan
12-06-2011, 11:05 PM
The funny thing about the 'Old stuff" is that it works just as well today as it did 50 or even 100 years ago.

There is no new caliber rifle that kills anything any deader than they did 100 years ago. I personally think cartridge development should have stopped at the .30-06

I personally don't see the need for Camo Clothing. Animals can't see colors anyway, and most can't recognize the human form. They can damn sure smell you though so I guess you need to pay attention to which way the wind is blowing,, but really you need to do that anyway just as a normal part of life.

Randy

Maineboy
12-07-2011, 09:34 PM
My favorite hunting rifle is my 50's era Savage 99 in 300 Savage of course. I wear a red plaid Woolrich hunting coat, Johnson wool pants and LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes. I thought I was up to date but now your telling me I'm "Old Stuff"?

JesterGrin_1
12-10-2011, 12:19 AM
My favorite hunting rifle is my 50's era Savage 99 in 300 Savage of course. I wear a red plaid Woolrich hunting coat, Johnson wool pants and LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes. I thought I was up to date but now your telling me I'm "Old Stuff"?

Do not worry all things come back in style eventually lol. :)

Chris Smith
12-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I almost decided to take my other model 14 which is a .32 Remington caliber. However, with leaves being quite deep and if I had got a shot at something, pumped the action and lost the precious brass I'd have been more worried about that than the deer. .35's are lots easier to replace. Maybe some day my 1914 vintage .32 will get the oportunity to do what it was designed for.

richhodg66
12-10-2011, 08:11 PM
I almost decided to take my other model 14 which is a .32 Remington caliber. However, with leaves being quite deep and if I had got a shot at something, pumped the action and lost the precious brass I'd have been more worried about that than the deer. .35's are lots easier to replace. Maybe some day my 1914 vintage .32 will get the oportunity to do what it was designed for.

Can the old Remington rimless cases be made from something else? I had heard that the 6.8 SPC wa a necked down and blown out .30 Remington case, perhaps those 6.8 cases could be used to make new ones.

Those old Remington pump rifles are really neat, I have come close to buying one in .35 Remington several times and will one day.

Chris Smith
12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Nope. The 6.8 empty I have is 1.680 inch. A real live .32 Remington is 2.055 after being fired twice. A .35 case is 1.900 inch and the one I checked is .456 at the rim. A .32 is .421. I have some but since I don't shoot it very often those will have to suffice. I've made a few from 30-30 brass on my lathe but it's time consuming. They still have to be fire formed as the shoulder angle is steeper on the .32 round.

JMtoolman
12-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I used a rifle made in 1888 this year to take a Moose! Fun using the old ones. The toolman

Olevern
12-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I am working on a project gun, a 137 year old French gras carbine, single shot in 11 X 59R mm
I hope to take a deer with it next season.

It's neat using old equipment - it was made to last.

I used to have a rem. 141 in 35 Rem, gave it away to a twelve year old who had better eyes than mine - with my old eyes iron sites dictate a much shorter range these days then in my younger days.

Good luck on getting that 141 it's first blood (in your hands), it could probably tell you some great campfire hunting stories if it could talk.

Shooter6br
12-18-2011, 04:09 PM
I use my dads Weaver 2.5 x steel scope He bought it for a whooping $39 in 1962 (60 C model)

JesterGrin_1
12-18-2011, 04:40 PM
I use my dads Weaver 2.5 x steel scope He bought it for a whooping $39 in 1962 (60 C model)

In 62 that was not cheap. Heck gas was around $O.25 a gallon lol. Or to say he could have purchased 156Gal of gas for the same amount lol.

jlchucker
12-19-2011, 11:05 AM
There was a time when red plaid hats, coats, pants and leather lace up boots at almost knee height was the uniform of every WWII Veteran I knew in deer season.

BvT

Around my parts it was green plad for most guys. I'm not a WWII vet but I've worn my green plad wool hat not only for hunting, but for general all-winter use for years. It probably needs replacing, and Johnson Woolens is just down the road. I hesitate to buy a new one though--some of the old timers would label me as just another big city wannabee. :redneck:

KCSO
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I killed a deer with my M81 Remington made in 1922 then a friend got it and he's killed deer with it. They love you more if you take them out for exercise every now and then.

Chris Smith
12-20-2011, 10:32 PM
It's amazing to me how many things have been declared obselete that still work just fine. Certain cartridges, low power scopes, and to dare be seen hunting with one of those old fashioned lever action rifles. Most people I know (around here anyway) have never even heard of a pump action rifle and to use one of those "things" without a huge scope to make the 50 yard shot makes me some kind of cave man in their eyes. I have actually been asked how did I manage to hit anything at all using those open sights on that old rifle. Just because my rifle was new when automobiles were still a novelty seems to make some think that it is inferior.I just laugh.

Brithunter
12-21-2011, 11:57 PM
It seems that I am not alone after all in my love of vintage stuff. So many shooters and hunters have been duped/brain washed to think that unless it the newest and latest supper dooper plastic or wonder space age material then it's junk.

When in fact it's often the new stuff which is actually the junk. Often poorly and very cheaply made. One of my biggest gripes is the fad for matt finishes on firearms. It's been sold as non reflective which is clever marketing for the fact that not having to finish polish the firearm save the maker times and so it's cheaper yet they often put a premium on for this desireable feature :veryconfu.

Of course some advances have been worthwhile like the breathable membranes for clothing. Added to a good natural material like wool it's a winner.

Optics coatings have improved although sadly I feel that some of the build quality has dropped off once again in the chase and worship of the Great God Excessive Profit :cry:.

Over the last few years i have been sourcing sporting aperture sights and fitting them to several rifles witht he intention of once gettign practiced in their use of hunting deer with them. rdical you know :shock: most deer stalking here in the UK is done but outing of by the day as there is no public land for hunting so you have to either own your land, lease it or pay for the outings which are usually guided by the keeper of stalker. Just see the reaction of lots of them when you tell them you will be using iron sights :shock:.

A paper patched cast bullet :veryconfu now that woudl really confuse them.

ajjohns
12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
You know I just can't use a new rifle for deer anymore. To me there's nothing better than hunting with an old goodie! I still get a kick out of it when a young hunter will ask, " What kind of rifle is that?" and get to tell them a little history lesson.

Haggway
12-23-2011, 03:35 PM
It's amazing to me how many things have been declared obselete that still work just fine. Certain cartridges, low power scopes, and to dare be seen hunting with one of those old fashioned lever action rifles. Most people I know (around here anyway) have never even heard of a pump action rifle and to use one of those "things" without a huge scope to make the 50 yard shot makes me some kind of cave man in their eyes. I have actually been asked how did I manage to hit anything at all using those open sights on that old rifle. Just because my rifle was new when automobiles were still a novelty seems to make some think that it is inferior.I just laugh.

What I love is that old technology keeps popping up from time to time.

Chris Smith
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
While smokeless powder has proven that it isn't just a passing fad, I do enjoy hunting with a muzzleloader. One that has a hammer on the outside, preferably on the right side of the rifle. It also has a percussion cap for ignition and even uses one of those inaccurate round balls that you have to wrap in a piece of cloth and use that icky grease to make it slide into the bore. If I use a cartridge rifle of some sort I load it (however many rounds it holds) and that's all I carry. I only need one shot but some hunters look almost like Pancho Villa when they get suited up. Enough ammo to hold off a platoon of marines. I like the ones that have a bowie knife on the hip too. Like to ask what size elephant are they planning on skinning with that.

windy
12-23-2011, 05:09 PM
'round here, hoss, that bowie knife's fer hackin' through the 50 foot of blackberry vines that growed up between you and yer truck while you was huntin'. in fact th' first bowie looked a lot like a machete 'cuz rezin, jim's brother, hunted b'ars with dogs, 'n th' first thing a b'ar does when he's bayed is back up inta th' deepest brush he can find so's th' dogs cain't git to his hindside. 'course i always got a green river on my belt fer th' skinnin'. i finally just got a rifle that's younger'n me--a 1950 marlin 336a in 35 remington. purty near all the rest were made, or at least designed, in th' 19th century.
mind yer topknot!
windy

GuzziRider
12-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi All,
My grandaughter and I went retro this year. Her shooting a Remington Model 722 (1950's manufacture) and me a Remington M81 (1947) both in .300 Savage. We took four deer between the two of us. One of hers was a very nice 4x4 shot at a little over 180 yards. The .300 Savage is a very fine deer round indeed. We will be doing it again next year.