PDA

View Full Version : Grind to fit recoil pads

20nickels
12-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm told by a life long bolt gun shooter and smith that the soft recoil reducing butt pads warp if setting in the safe muzzle up and can get sticky over time due to the nature of that type of material. I need a grind to fit type that doesn't have this issue. It doesn't have to be super soft, I just can't find any that aren't. Any suggestions?

Ben
12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
I have Pach Decelerators on a dozen of my rifles, some are 20 yrs. old.
They have always been sitting butt down in the safe. No problems.

waksupi
12-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I have Pach Decelerators on a dozen of my rifles, some are 20 yrs. old.
They have always been sitting butt down in the safe. No problems.

Yep, hard to go wrong with the Pachmeyers. I've never seen any hardening or deformity with them. The only pads I recall that get funky are the old red rubber ones, like were on some of the old shotguns and rifles. Rubber composition has come a long way.

W.R.Buchanan
12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I just replaced a 35 year old Pachmayer pad that was on my Husky .30-06. This gun had not been shot in 30 years, and was as hard as wood, and kicked the hell out of me. I tried softening it by spraying a variety of magic potions onto it with no luck. I replaced it with a new Pachmayer Decelerator super squishy pad that was grind to fit. I must say it came out really nice.

I also installed the same pad on my Marlin .45-70 the same day. I expect them to last well beyond my need for them. They definately won't be going bad in the next 10-15 years.

All that said my 1965 Browning A5 has the original Pachmayer pad on it and it is still soft and works just fine.

Go figure.

Randy

smoked turkey
12-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I have one rifle with a factory made to fit extra soft pad. It is on a Ruger No. 1 that would kick the snot out of me. I have the problems you mentioned in that it sort of melts the carpet and when taken out of the safe I always pull a wad of carpet with it. I have resorted to setting it on a small piece of another material such as cardboard of vinyl flooring.

waksupi
12-02-2011, 12:45 AM
If you have an old one that is sticky, give it a coat of Armor All.

shotman
12-02-2011, 01:58 AM
ruger and remington will replace them

Ragnarok
12-02-2011, 10:08 AM
I think a good protective wipe-down of gun oil did in many of the old red rubber recoil pads.

I had a nice cushy brown pad on a Rem 1100..and picked the gun from the cabinant..and the toe fell off the recoil pad!!

A buddy had an old Winchester 54 rifle with some sort of ancient red rubber recoil pad added on..it petrified until it was hard as a rock!! We installed a new pad..My dogs played with it in the backyard for years..until I hit the recoil pad with the mower andd knocked it to pieces.

A friend brought over his dads old beater shotgun..it had a 'boot' style slip-on pad that had rotted off turned to goo and then petrified. Had chunks stuck to the stock..it was a mess to get it all off...had to reliquify the rubber with carb cleaner..and scrape it off.

20nickels
12-02-2011, 11:46 AM
A friend brought over his dads old beater shotgun..it had a 'boot' style slip-on pad that had rotted off turned to goo and then petrified. Had chunks stuck to the stock..it was a mess to get it all off...had to reliquify the rubber with carb cleaner..and scrape it off.

That's the story I got too. I'll call Pachmayer and see what they suggest for grind to fit. I only want to do this once :lol:

FWIW my Smith said store them muzzle down to reduce deformation.

Hardcast416taylor
12-02-2011, 06:05 PM
That's the story I got too. I'll call Pachmayer and see what they suggest for grind to fit. I only want to do this once :lol:

FWIW my Smith said store them muzzle down to reduce deformation.

Another reason they say to store firearms muzzle down is so excess gun oils will not run into the stock softening the wood where the action meets the wood stock. Now days with synthetic stocks the craze this storing tip is a moot point.Robert

Heavy lead
12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
The new Limbsavers are very sticky, have one on my .416 Rigby for obvious reasons, needs to sit on a piece of thick cardboard or will have carpet pull up on it.
Also two of the new super soft Remington factory pads seem to be similiar material, IMO too sticky for me, get caught on your coat or shirt too much, may just change those out.

Gtek
12-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I built the interior in all my safes. I used the WIDE lower wall trim, the radius is perfect angle for most butts. Stained and sealed, no problem seen in fifteen years. I was blessed with monkey arms and 14 3/4" lentgh of pull, need that 1". I have the Pach grind on rows of them, wrap butt with foil tape couple wraps, belt grind to 90% or so, 220 with buzz to finish. I like them. Gtek

Mk42gunner
12-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Yep, hard to go wrong with the Pachmeyers. I've never seen any hardening or deformity with them. The only pads I recall that get funky are the old red rubber ones, like were on some of the old shotguns and rifles. Rubber composition has come a long way.

Ric,

I have seen one Pachmeyer that was crushed by sitting on the butt for God only knows how long. It was on the 98a Mauser with a very light barrel profile in .30-06 that I bought in '88 or '89.

The story was that the guy who brought six or seven rifles into the gunshop was a seargent in WWI. He had several rifles that ran about a pound lighter than normal weight. I reluctantly turned down the one in .300 H&H, because I figured I would run a Weatherby reamer into it and didn't want any part of a seven pound .300 Weatherby; mine weighs 8 1/2 lbs with the 2-7X Leupold on it now.

I am guessing he had my 06 built in the fifties. It had a Weaver K-4 in the lowest Buehler rings I have ever seen (there was about .050" betwwen the scope tube and the base), the Buehler safety left a rub mark on the objective bell of the scope. Non detachable sling swivels and a 1" military type sling. The two stage trigger has a final pull weight of 34 oz.

I wish I had a camera to post picturees the last 2 12" of the 22 1/2" barrel is enlarged to .610", at 20" the barrel is .525". It looks different when you first see it, but I have had it so long now that it looks normal.

I really wish I had been smart enough to buy all of that man's rifles, or at least to find out who built them. Mine likes anything I have fed it that has a flat base, boattails triple the size of the group.

I seem to have drifted the thread a bit.

Robert

leadman
12-03-2011, 11:08 PM
There used to be a business that made pads here in Phoenix. They were softer then the Pachmyers also. They came with a pin about 1 1/2" long with a rubber head about the size of a marble to insert in one of the screw holes to keep the pad off the carpet. Still have it on one gun and the pin works.

My Encore has a Limbsaver IIRC from the factory and it sticks to stuff and is getting a melted look to it.

20nickels
12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Update;
Pachmayr says their "Old English" pads will not deform or get sticky over time. I'll try this one.

shaggist
12-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Just get a 16-penny or 20-penny nail, cut it to length, put a minature crutch rip on the head, and stick it in the mounting hole closest to the top of the buttstock. Let the gun rest on this and take it out when you want to shoot it. No more mushed pad!

These parts should be available at your local hardware store for little money.

MtGun44
12-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Only had it for about 10 - 12 yrs, but my Kick EEZE pad on Marlin GG has been exactly the
same since I put it on, and I did grind it to fit. My big point is that it is very soft and really
helps the recoil.

Bill