PDA

View Full Version : Help Marlin mdl 94CB Receiver sight

Moondawg
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Except for drilling and tapping, is there anyway to mount a receiver peep sight on a Marlin 94 Cowboy Limited. Looking in both Brownells and Midway catalogs I don't see anything listed for the 94CB. I ordered a Williams receiver sight for the 94 from Brownells. It says on the package no drilling or tapping required. The only problem, you have to mount the thing on the left side of the receiver, and there are no mounting holes. The only mounting holes Marlin puts on the 94CB (at least the one I have) are some scope mounting holes on top of the receiver.
If I mount a tang peep, then I have to drill and tap the tang for at least one hole.

I find it strange the Marlin makes a rifle actually designed for cowboy shooting, but only drills it for mounting a scope, which is not allowed in CASS.

crawfobj
12-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Have you looked at the XS ghost ring sights? I have the setup with the rail on my 1895G, and I really like them.

These should be a little more "cowboy action" friendly:

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=rifle

excess650
12-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Skinner sight?

GARCIA
12-01-2011, 06:01 PM
A lot of the newer ones are not drilled and tapped for a side mount.
It sucks.

Top mount using the pre-drilled and tapped holes will be your best bet.

Trade you some boolits for the sight?

Tom

wv109323
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a Model 39-A in .22LR, a model 1894 in .44 Mag , 1895 in 45-70 ,and a 1894 "CL" in 32-20. They all are drilled and tapped for a receiver sight on the left side of the receiver, They also are drilled and tapped for scope mounts on top of the receiver. All the guns listed above are at least 12 years old.
I would call Marlin and get their side of the story. I bet it is supposed to be D&T'd for a receiver sight.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I think Marlin stopped D & T for receiver sights on several lever gun models that had scope mounting holes. That's why you get the cowboy rifle without left side receiver sight holes. Williams makes the same type receiver sights but set up for mounting via the rear two scope mount holes.

A good man with a drillpress/ mill can do the work of D & T the receiver side nicely. Take measurements from an older model.

BvT

TCFAN
12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Moondawg
My 94 CB Limited was not D&T either. The gun shop wanted $40.00 per hole to mount a peep sight.I bought a Williams FP with target knobs that mounts in the top scope mount holes. This works ok for me although some people don't like the way it overhangs the hammer.I don't have a problem with the overhang. Here is a photo of the sight..........

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/Cast%20Boolits/DSCN0267.jpg

...................Terry

W.R.Buchanan
12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
TCFAN: I have the same sight on my 1895 CB it doesn't hang over the hammer as far as that...

I have five Marlins, 3 were D&T'd at the factory, and two weren't.

The two newest ones 1894 and 1895 weren't, and I did the 1894 myself.

The holes in the receiver need to be placed on the same centerline as the ejector groove. The fore and aft position is determined by how much clearance for the hammer you want but as far back as possible.

The alternative is the Williams sight or possibly a Skinner sight or XS makes one for Marlins too that mounts to the scope mounting holes...

TCFAN
12-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Yes this sight is really made for the 336 series. It will fit like it is supposed too. No overhang at all. But it does work ok on the Marlin 94's............Terry

TXGunNut
12-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I like Terry's receiver sight but a tang sight would be more in character with cowboy shooting. Might be an easier project for DIY as well; drill presses aren't just for polishing brass. ;) Save that receiver sight, someday you'll have a nice Marlin or pre-AE Winchester cross your path and you'll know just what to do with it.