PDA

View Full Version : Waksupi, Does this touchhole seem high?

Maven
12-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Ric,

I saw photographs of a given FL rifle on another site, but was struck by the attached pic of the touchhole's location on the bbl. flat. Does it seem too high to you?

waksupi
12-01-2011, 04:47 PM
This one seems to be just above the sunset position, so isn't bad. Some like to have them at 50% of the position. I can live with either way. I think the angle of the shot makes it look high.
As you know, better too high, than too low. You can see the frizzen is cut to allow for the higher placement, no idea if it came that way, or was cut to accommodate the vent.
What strikes me, is how large the hole in the vent is! Not good. I would definitely replace that.

JeffinNZ
12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Looks fine to me though the fit of pan to barrel looks a bit rough.

excess650
12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I have to agree. The position looks OK, but the diameter appears too large. My .58 has been opened to 1/16" and my .62 is just as quick or quicker with a .055". I know guys who open them up to .07"-.08", but too large for my taste as they dribble fffg.

12-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I see no slot in the liner so it could be a hex head, therefore deceiving on hole size if that's the case. The placement looks only a tad high with the equator of the vent burrrley above the pan top.... but then again if it works who cares.

After studying that photo a little harder that liner looks more like a simple, old style where a bolt is threaded in, cut off then drilled. Either that is an older gun or one that has been shot a bunch judging by the erosion and light pitting. May be that the large vent is just the taste of the shooter or has been eroded out from lots of shooting.

waksupi
12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it isn't hex head. I would say it was put in, then filed flush.
I hate a self priming flintlock, I consider them dangerous. If you don't close the frizzen on them when loading, a good amount of the powder gets blown out of the vent. And if you DO close them, you have a half cocked rifle pointing up by your face while loading. A sear failure could be down right dangerous.

Maven
12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your help, guys! Btw, it isn't my rifle, but one I was thinking about bidding on BEFORE the photo of the touchhole/vent was added.

Ric, PM sent

wgr
12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
how would you get it out? broken screw extracter maybe

waksupi
12-02-2011, 12:43 AM
how would you get it out? broken screw extracter maybe

Just use an easy out. I seldom try to remove a vent without planning on replacing it.

thunderthud
12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
the position looks ok, the hole doesnt look too big either imho. better bigger than smaller. Put a feather quill in the hole when loading or a toothpick to keep the powder in if you think you have to. If you use 2f not much will come out anyway, its really a non-issue. I dont like the business of a closed frizzen when loading I've seen too many left on half cock after the shot, if somethin' happens & the hammer drops you could have big trouble. Unsafe procedure imho.
Before critiquing the touch hole placement why not shoot it first to see what happens? I agree with the ez-out to remove it. In all my experience small diameter touch holes lead to flash in the pan & no go for the main charge.

Maven
12-02-2011, 02:55 PM
"... it isn't my rifle, but one I was thinking about bidding on BEFORE the photo of the touchhole/vent was added."

thunderthud, Please reread my original post or the above excerpt. I considered bidding on it until I saw the added (yesterday in fact) touchhole pic. Not only did the hole seem large, but I think the placement of the vent liner on the bbl. flat was higher than those I looked at on TOW's site immediately after viewing the added pic. Btw, the rifle is a .40cal., so FFg wouldn't be my first choice of granulation.

thunderthud
12-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Maven, well, everything being equal I would prefer the touch hole in the position on that rifle and would put up with a larger hole rather than smaller. The lock is a Siler (made from Siler parts that is). cant see the rest so I cant evaluate further. the liner should be easily removed with an ez-out.
and yeah, for a .40 I use 3f. you can email me I'll send you a pic of my .54 rifle I hunt with. (touch hole) Over the years I've heard lots of hookus pookus about bp rifles & pistols. I've put lots of vents in and removed some too.I would bet that rifle has pretty good ignition if that lock is working properly. mtlctr@bex.net

Alan
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
2f or 1f should be ok. It takes a LOT of 1f to get pressure up to where it burns clean. So far I have only used 1F in my 16 and 12 bore rifles, and my 8 bore shotgun.

Maven
12-02-2011, 06:04 PM
thunderthud, Here's where you can see the rest of the rifle: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263306641

E-mail coming, and thanks!