PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 39TDS

Diegokid
02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I have been trying to find one of the Marlin 39TDS's. I haven't had much luck locating any information on them or an actual rifle. Looking for one for my daughter. Any information about this little rifle is appreciated.

Diegokid
02-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Well no-one seems to know anything about these rifles. I found one today and since I need 25 posts to try to trade a lubrisizer I have for one I need I'll reply to myself. Yep I finally found one. Shoots pretty good, still had factory Owner's Manual and Black soft case. Looks new, my daughter thinks it cute and lighter than her 541X. It'll be perfect for her to carry on her ATV.

Whit Spurzon
03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I had one that I recently traded off. Good little carbine. Mine was a bit finicky about which ammo it would shoot accurately. Liked the cheap Federal Bulk ammo just fine though. Also shot the CB Longs better than any of my rimfires. Of my three 39's the TDS produced the best 100 yard groups as well.

A common issue with the 39TDS is light hammer strikes. If your's suffers from this afliction look at the rear top of the chamber for a burr. The firing pin will need some profiling to eliminate the problem. I know of three TDS's that had that problem.

In chronograph tests the 39TDS didn't give up much in velocity either vs. the 20" & 24" versions. It actually shot the Aguila Subsonic Ammo faster than the longer barrels but everything else was between 20-100 fps slower on average.

The TDS is a pretty uncommon varient of the 39 so information is tough to come by. I was never able to date mine. Using the S.N. minus method put dated mine outside of the Mfr. dates.

Diegokid
03-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I've shot it quite a bit and realized it was shooting to the left. Adjusted the sights accordingly. My daughter and myself both like peep sights so I ordered a pair for the rifle then I will do accuracy work.

We were shooting our target 22's last month when one of the guys at the club pulled out some Wolf 22 match ammo. We all giggled at him then got our feelings hurt. It was shooting as well as Federal and Ely match, costs less too. I think I'll try some in this little rifle.