PDA

View Full Version : RD's Rossi RG4570B

Ranch Dog
11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Picked up my Rossi RG4570B, blue finish, one of Rossi's latest offerings. Sitting here getting ready to type, all I can say is that I am impressed! It is almost an hour over to my gunsmith, I was taking him eight Marlins to have the LimbSaver pads removed (leaking gel) and replace them with Pachmayer Decelerators so I was in a bit of a funk about rifles. I even thought I might pay him for the Rossi if needed, kind of changed my mind, let him put it on the rack and sell it. I think I have too many guns, I just can no longer seem to keep up with them. Anyway, all these thought disappeared when I opened the box! It was extremely refreshing to see just a rifle and a small owner's manual in a box. No cables, locks, safety warnings, safety helmets, safety goggles, safety boots, or parachutes... you now what I mean. My goodness, the owner's manual isn't roll stamped on the barrel either! It just says "Rossi" "45/70 Govt". My oh my, reminds you right away of simple times!

The rifles fit and finish is flawless, period. The bluing is deep and the stocks are well finish. Just looking at them they look like they have a TruOil finish. The rifle is a light carbine, weighing in at 6# 3 oz. Once the sights were removed and my Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 mounted, 6# 14 oz. Perfect, exactly why I was interested in the rifle. Less sights and the same scope, my "G" (Guide Gun) weighs 7# 14 oz. and my "MR" (1895 450 Marlin with 22" barrel) 8# 5 oz.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/RG4570/images/RG4570_01.jpg

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/RG4570/images/RG4570_02.jpg

This is not an 1895, it is a copy of a 336 down to just about every detail I could see. The obvious differences, which explains the weight are that some of components are very light compared to the run of the mill 336. Right away you notice the loading gate seems thin as well as the lever. It doesn't spook me in the least, I think Braztech sat down with all the technology that they have and said how can we do this better. I'm ready for a change. I mean come on, the last 336 I bought (336BL) weighed in at 8# 3 oz. with the same scope setup! Almost as much as the 1895MR. One of the complaints I read about the rifle was that the fellow could not find a hammer spur to fit. I'm not sure which Rossi he has but it looks like they solved it the way I would. They made the hammer pad larger. The pad on the hammer of this rifle it is about twice the area of a Marlin hammer pad so you do not need an extension.

I slugged the barrel and it measures .445" bore and .457" groove. The throat and step fits my TLC460 nose profile like a glove so I will probably size the bullets at .459" and see how it shoots. I have about a thousands shots out of my 1895s with the pressure trace equipment hooked up and based on the barrel and chamber measurements I've taken this evening already have a pretty good idea what this rifle can handle but will hook it up as well.

Just on curb appeal, Remington is going to need to watch their product a little closer. The rifle was $463.

1kshooter
12-01-2011, 12:16 AM
great report Michael I will be looking at them for my next buy...do they make a .44mag?
I would like to get to a stor that has one in stock so I can hold it but the loop looks great and would allow me room to wrap the bottom of the loop where my damaged doodles contact it to reduce the felt pain!
thanks again for the report and lets see some groups with it!! Jonathan

Ranch Dog
12-01-2011, 07:56 AM
...do they make a .44mag?

Jonathan,

They make a 44 Mag in the 1892 clone. I suspect they would have trouble with the short cartridges in this action with the 44 Mag, just like Marlin did with the 336-44.

I'm up early to start reloading for it. Picked it up and looked at it like a kid at Christmas. I've heard that the actions on Rossi leverguns is a bit rough at first but this rifle would rival any of my Marlins. It will be interesting to see how it fairs as the price is not that far ahead of either the 1895 or 1895G. As stated above this rifle was $463 and either of those Marlins would have been $524 through my shop.

After my pack in nilgai hunt last year, I wanted a 444 or 45-70 that weighed less than any of my existing Marlins. My "P" and "G" weigh 7.9#, the "MR" 8.3#, and the "T" a whopping 8.9#. You throw in an additional 1/2 pound of ammo in your rifle and these are pretty heavy bricks to carry all day long.

On that hunt, the sacahuista flat I wanted to hunt was 5 miles off the road, not bad, about two hours in and out. 32# pack with the "MR". This hunt is on a NWR, so you have be come out everyday. That rifle wore on me pretty good.

I come back thinking about how to make some changes to either the 444 or 45-70 as my elk hunt with the "T" the year before had wore on me even more. About that time, the Taurus/Rossi material I received announced this rifle. It just took a full year to get it out. Hope it pans out as a 7# rifle sounds pretty good to me.

simo99
12-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Cant wait for the test Ranch Dog. Keep up the good work. Been eyeing one off myself. Stiil not available downunder. The 30-30 version seems to be selling well. Don't know how they shoot as their aren't too many reviews around yet. Would like to see how the 30-30 Rossi goes with cast.

Ranch Dog
12-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I was digging around in my reloading room bright and early this morning and found two WW 300-grain JHP rounds on a shelf along with five rounds that I had loaded on for my "G"; my TLC460-350-RF bullet on top of 52.5-grains of Benchmark. I looked at the pressure data of the reloaded ammo and it was semi-conservative so I walked up the hill to the range with the Rossi pumpkin chunker.

I shot the two Winchester rounds at 50-yards, centered but low so made an adjustment but moved the target out to 100-yards before I shot the "Ranch Dog" ammo.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/RG4570/images/RG4570_525_Benchmark_TLC460350RF_100YDS.jpg

There you go. Pretty good shooting for the first seven shots out the barrel. There is some pre-frontal winds here gusting across the range, that might account for the horizontal deviation but even that is not bad. I do think the bullet needs to be a .459" so I special ordered a kit from Lee while I was sitting at the range. In the meantime, I will adjust the elevation a bit and kill a deer in the next couple of days with it. QuickLoad estimates the velocity/pressure to be 1849 FPS at 31.0K PSI. I suspect that is very close as it ran 1780 at 31.0K PSI in my Guide Gun measure with the pressure trace gear. I might bump the pressure up in the coming weeks as after taking some measurements, I think I will let this rifle idle along at 35.0K PSI. I operate my 1895s at 40.0K PSI. As an example, that would be 54.6-grain of Benchmark at 1895 FPS. H335 and H4895 would give me about another 60 FPS but I will work with all the Hodgdon rifle powders and see what it likes best.

When pressure testing the Guide Gun, about 60 rounds of ammo and I was ready to call it quits. I think this rifle will settle in around 30 or 35 and it will be time to stop. Of course, hunting it is just one recoil cycle. What else... Oh, the trigger is perfect. The rate of twist is 1:20.

Te Hopo
12-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Very nice, thanks for sharing this.

They're still not available here in New Zealand but they shouldn't be far away, I'll definitely be looking closely at one after reading your report.

Ranch Dog
12-01-2011, 05:04 PM
There still is a lot of shooting to be done, hard to tell much with 7-shots but it looks pretty simple. Another thing I like is the simple finish to the wood. If I ding my late model Marlins there
is no easy way to fix it. I'm pretty sure TruOil is going to take care of it with the Rossi.

The hammer has the Taurus locking system but it did not come with a key? As a Taurus shooter, I have plenty of them but that is a bit strange.

Ranch Dog
12-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I decided to abandon my chores and go watch some deer back in the brush. I grabbed the 1894FG and headed out. About 300 yards from the house I saw a spike buck enter a mesquite flat. I immediately wished I had loaded some ammo for the RG. Now call me crazy but I left the FG to mark the spot and turned around and went home. I loaded one round with a Lee Loader and headed back. He was gone so I'm sitting out here with two rifles????

1kshooter
12-01-2011, 07:42 PM
lol thats awsome...I am going to start going with three guns lol short med. and long range.
Great report my friend
Jonathan

Ranch Dog
12-01-2011, 07:50 PM
He... he... I'm still here. Just about dark. I have 8a bucks and 5the does signing 40 yard. More after I get in.

Ranch Dog
12-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Ended up with 9 bucks, 5 does, and 4 yearlings within 50 yards of me in this little flat out in the thorn brush. The deer were feeding on some winter clover that sprung up in the last week. I have a young fellow hunting tomorrow, I decided not to spook them, and will take him to the same spot tomorrow.

1kshooter
12-01-2011, 10:31 PM
sounds like some young lad is in for a treat!...we want pic's bro lol

TXGunNut
12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Well done, Rossi! Thanks for convincing me I need yet another lever gun, Michael. Great report, and I guess we'll have to wait til you finish field dressing to hear the rest of the story.:popcorn:

Ranch Dog
12-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Well, JB got it done. Pulled one of the spikes out of the flat. Two more in there. He used the 1894C, 357 Mag, and my TLC35175-RF. Shot it through the heart.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Hunting/2011/JB_Baker_spike.jpg

btroj
12-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Congrats to both of you.

TXGunNut
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Nicely done, both of you! The look on JB's face just made my week, and it's been a pretty good (but loooong) week. Thanks for sharing but above all thanks for sharing our sport with this youngster.

1kshooter
12-04-2011, 01:56 PM
great deer for the young guy I am proud to call you a friend Micheal!
well done and congrats to both of you!
Jonathan

grubbylabs
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Good job with the kid there. Nice to see people taking an interest in whats really important.

Can you post a full picture of the new Rossi?

Ranch Dog
12-04-2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/RG4570B_011.jpg

This is from the RossiUSA web site but is exactly what my rifle looks like. It is offered in stainless.

Boondocker
12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Well, JB got it done. Pulled one of the spikes out of the flat. Two more in there. He used the 1894C, 357 Mag, and my TLC35175-RF. Shot it through the heart.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Hunting/2011/JB_Baker_spike.jpg

It doesn't get any better than that sir!! Well done for the boy and his mentor.:awesome:

Now I have to go check out a Rossi like yours as the 30-30 needs a big brother.

grubbylabs
12-04-2011, 10:38 PM
This is from the RossiUSA web site but is exactly what my rifle looks like. It is offered in stainless.

Not a fan of the large loop but it is a very nice looking rifle indeed.

simo99
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Ranch dog have you been doing any more testing with the Rossi?

Ranch Dog
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Ranch dog have you been doing any more testing with the Rossi?

Just been hunting with it. Using the 52.5 Benchmark load. Hunting right now! Or, sitting out in the brush waiting for critters to get up on their feet and start moving.

I had a bunch of spikes this year that are leaving the gene pool. I had identified nine. Seven are filling freezers and two of us are trying to catch up with the other two. I'm chasing the oldest as he lives near the house but he is very good at slipping away.

Sent from my DROIDX while hunting!

simo99
12-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Half your luck enjoy yourself!!

Ranch Dog
12-10-2011, 01:39 AM
First kill with the Rossi, 2 1/2 year old "spike".

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/images/TLC460350RF_03.jpg

Not much to report. 80-yards, boom! The deer walked about 10 feet and laid down dead. Hit it through the top of the heart but everything forward of the diaphragm vaporized. The meplat on my TLC460-350-RF (and TLC460-425-RF) sure delivers a measure of destruction.

A couple of notes concerning the Rio Grande:

The lighter weight has been a pleasure to carry out in the brush.
At the shot, didn't notice the lack of weight.
The RG has one of the nicest triggers on any levergun I have.
Loading and unloading the rifle is scratching up my cartridges, I'm going to pull it apart and figure out why. I suspect just a "fluff and buff" on the various parts should do it.

1kshooter
12-10-2011, 01:24 PM
congrats my friend!

TXGunNut
12-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Product testing, rifle reviews.....work work work....must be rough! [smilie=l:

Just loaded up your 323-170, 359-190 and 460-350 for a little load testing this afternoon, life's a little rough around here, too. :wink:

6pt-sika
12-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Very nice indeed !

Glad to see the Rossi likes your bullets and the deer didn't [smilie=1:

Maybe it's time to make a RD 460-300GC hint hint hint :drinks:

6pt-sika
12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
RD if I'm not mistaken you mentioned something to me one time about making a 500 grain bullet to use in the 45-70 leverguns . Whatever happened to that idea ?

6pt-sika
12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
First kill with the Rossi, 2 1/2 year old "spike".

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/images/TLC460350RF_03.jpg

Now that looks like some of the Booners I kill around here :wink:

1kshooter
12-11-2011, 10:58 PM
RD 460 300 GC !!! oooooh ahhhh! ...I'm in lol
I would also love a RD 432-200-240gr for the .44 mag!

Ranch Dog
12-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Very nice indeed !

Glad to see the Rossi likes your bullets and the deer didn't [smilie=1:

Maybe it's time to make a RD 460-300GC hint hint hint :drinks:

It might be time... A think a 300-grain bullet busting out of this lightweight rifle would be awesome!

The 500-grain bullet would mean that they would need to be cut in a two-cavity mold. I'm not interested in getting back into them.

Ranch Dog
12-12-2011, 12:15 AM
RD 460 300 GC !!! oooooh ahhhh! ...I'm in lol
I would also love a RD 432-200-240gr for the .44 mag!

That would be interesting as well!

saz
12-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Looks like a pretty well made rifle- easy to carry too. That is why I carry my puma 454 casull- I may have to check one of these out someday.....

Ranch Dog
12-18-2011, 09:59 PM
I've actually started toying with the idea of purchasing a 30-30 and sending it to JES Reboring to have it made into a 38-55 Win.

TXGunNut
12-19-2011, 12:50 AM
I've actually started toying with the idea of purchasing a 30-30 and sending it to JES Reboring to have it made into a 38-55 Win. -Ranch Dog

Now there's an interesting project, Michael. Mind starting a thread and telling us about it?

Mike

Ranch Dog
12-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I need to look at one before I commit and unfortunately, I could not find one locally. As long as the barrel is similar to the RG4570 and without much taper to the muzzle it would work. I would image it is but need to be sure.

6pt-sika
12-27-2011, 11:06 PM
All right you went in the Rossi direction with a new 45-70 !

It's time for me to branch out again !

I'm gonna try pretty darned hard over the next couple weeks to get my hands on a circa 1902 Winchester 1886 LWT in 45-70 !

This one is take down and a 22" pipe ! Pistol grip , crescent buttplate and a half mag tube !

While I swore of Winchesters a number of years ago , if I can get this one right I'm willing to eat my words !

This one will be perfect for that upcoming Ranch Dog 460-300GC bullet !

izzyjoe
12-28-2011, 10:28 PM
good job to the both of you on you're deer. that Rossi looks, and sounds like it is one cool rifle. keep up the good work!

Ranch Dog
12-28-2011, 10:33 PM
In that Rossi did not loose any sleep in cloning the 336 and with the news that Remlin has dropped the 338ME, 444 and 450 Marlin, it would be cool if BrazTech pursued the Big Bore rifles. I would support them through purchases.

Ole
12-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I just hope someone keeps a rifle chambered in .450 Marlin.

I'm pretty sure I have enough brass to last me the rest of my days, but I'd hate to run out and not have any available.

Ranch Dog
12-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I've got a 1895MR, a full length 1895 450 Marlin, and 1K worth of brass. I don't shoot my rifle much, 100 rounds a year, so I should be set.

pricedo
12-29-2011, 04:51 AM
I became impressed with the appearance and performance of my Rossi guns before I realized I wasn't supposed to like them.

Now that I know first hand what a good gun the Rossis are I won't be able to indulge in one of the favorite activities on gun forums of parroting detractions of Rossi firearms without ever having handled or fired one.

pricedo
12-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Once the sights were removed and my Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 mounted, 6# 14 oz.
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/RG4570/images/RG4570_01.jpg

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Firearms/RG4570/images/RG4570_02.jpg

Are you sure that el cheapo Banner scope will handle the pounding of the .45-70?

I like the Bushnell scopes but like to go one level higher to the Trophy series which are tougher than the Banners and the optics are flawless.

I've had a couple of Banners fall apart inside on me on .30-06 & .300 Win Mag rifles.

Lawyerman
12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I certainly can't complain about someone bringing a new lever gun option to the market but I think I'll stick with my old Marlins. Don't much care for the "large loop" or the cross bolt. I have one Marlin with the cross bolt and I replaced it several years ago with a "screw", don't miss it!

Ranch Dog
12-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Are you sure that el cheapo Banner scope will handle the pounding of the .45-70?

I like the Bushnell scopes but like to go one level higher to the Trophy series which are tougher than the Banners and the optics are flawless.

I've had a couple of Banners fall apart inside on me on .30-06 & .300 Win Mag rifles.

Nothing cheap about the Banner series. I own 30 over these scopes and they all have accumulated a considerable track record. I have not had an issue with any despite the hard knocks of my desert whitetail and mule deer hunting. They have survived all the pressure trace shooting I've done with my eight Marlin Big Bores. I would not shoot anything else as they have accounted for hundreds of big game animals.

I do have two other Banners, straight 4 power scopes, not included in that number above and they have been on the two rifles since 1966. These rifles have been in continuous service since.

Lawyerman
12-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Nothing cheap about the Banner series. I own 30 over these scopes and they all have accumulated a considerable track record. I have not had an issue with any despite the hard knocks of my desert whitetail and mule deer hunting. They have survived all the pressure trace shooting I've done with my eight Marlin Big Bores. I would not shoot anything else as they have accounted for hundreds of big game animals.

I do have two other Banners, straight 4 power scopes, not included in that number above and they have been on the two rifles since 1966. These rifles have been in continuous service since.

Just hope you never have any trouble with them! I had a Banner 3x9 "Lite Site" that I had bought in the mid 80's or so. I was a high school kid at the time and I laid out about $150 for it, which was a fair amount of money at the time......About 4 years ago the power change ring got stuck on 3x. This scope had never been abused etc....It was a clear product failure. I sent it back to them and they sent it back to me basically telling me to "pound sand", it was broke, couldn't be fixed and they would offer NOTHING in the way of exchange etc...for it. I'll never own another Bushnell. Leupold replaced a scope that I had in a shed at our hunting lease that caught FIRE, they sent me a brand new one, no charge.

pricedo
12-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Just hope you never have any trouble with them! I had a Banner 3x9 "Lite Site" that I had bought in the mid 80's or so. I was a high school kid at the time and I laid out about $150 for it, which was a fair amount of money at the time......About 4 years ago the power change ring got stuck on 3x. This scope had never been abused etc....It was a clear product failure. I sent it back to them and they sent it back to me basically telling me to "pound sand", it was broke, couldn't be fixed and they would offer NOTHING in the way of exchange etc...for it. I'll never own another Bushnell. Leupold replaced a scope that I had in a shed at our hunting lease that caught FIRE, they sent me a brand new one, no charge.

That would have to be some super-douper fancy Banner to be worth $150 in the mid 80's.

Check the bill again......maybe the decimal is actually 1 place to the left in the $150.00.

Most Banner 3-9x40 scopes are worth less than $150 NOW.

I have a Bushnell ScopeChief IV (Command Post) that is equivalent to today's Bushnell Elite 3200 series that I paid $149.99 for in the mid 80s.

6pt-sika
12-29-2011, 05:50 PM
That would have to be some super-douper fancy Banner to be worth $150 in the mid 80's.

Check the bill again......maybe the decimal is actually 1 place to the left in the $150.00.

I have a Bushnell ScopeChief IV (Command Post) that is equivalent to today's Bushnell Elite 3200 series that I paid $149.99 for in the mid 80s.

The FIRST scope I ever purchased was a brand new Bushnell Scopechief IV 2.5-8x in 1973 . I paid $40 for that one . A couple years later I bought a second one at what was then caled the "J&G Rifle Ranch" in Prescott Arizone again for $40 . They served me well at the time . I now have a Bushnell Banner 1.5-6x with an illuminated dot that was made in 1978 (called them and gave them the seriel number and they gave me the date of manufacture) , I got this scope on a used Marlin 444 a couple years ago and used it to kill a deer the first year we DCP hunted the peach orchard . The Banner is still servicable but a little less claer now then say my Leupold's but I use it from time to time !

pricedo
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
The FIRST scope I ever purchased was a brand new Bushnell Scopechief IV 2.5-8x in 1973 . I paid $40 for that one . A couple years later I bought a second one at what was then caled the "J&G Rifle Ranch" in Prescott Arizone again for $40 . They served me well at the time . I now have a Bushnell Banner 1.5-6x with an illuminated dot that was made in 1978 (called them and gave them the seriel number and they gave me the date of manufacture) , I got this scope on a used Marlin 444 a couple years ago and used it to kill a deer the first year we DCP hunted the peach orchard . The Banner is still servicable but a little less claer now then say my Leupold's but I use it from time to time !

I own Leupolds, Minox, Bushnells, Bausch & Lombs, Redfields (1st & 2nd generation), Weavers (1st & 2nd generation).

I find that the optics of the Bushnell Trophy series of scopes to be equal to any of them & better than most.

The Trophy is a grade above the Bushnell Banner series.

As previously posted I got coupla dud Banners over the years & I was scared off of them.

6pt-sika
12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I own Leupolds, Minox, Bushnells, Bausch & Lombs, Redfields (1st & 2nd generation), Weavers (1st & 2nd generation).

I find that the optics of the Bushnell Trophy series of scopes to be equal to any of them & better than most.

The Trophy is a grade above the Bushnell Banner series.

As previously posted I got coupla dud Banners over the years & I was scared off of them.

I have Leupolds obviousely , as well as both new and old Redfields and a couple dozen of the nice old Weavers , the Banner I mentioned , a Bushnell 3200 3-9 . And almost fogot one Swarovski .

But I'll be hard pressed to "like" a Bushnell as much as I like the old Weavers , Redfields or Leupolds . The Swarovski is okay but not worth the money in my estimation .

Oh I even have 3 of the old Mickey Mouse Marlin scopes and they seem to do okay for what I do with them .

I forgot I have and old B&L with the windage and elevation adjustments in the mounts . It's a 2.5-8x called a "Balvar 8" . That thing is crystal clear and very nice to use .

So to make a long story short , I don't buy Bushnell products intentionally anymore !
Any of them I own at the moment came to me on another rifle !

Lawyerman
12-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Well, it was over 25 years ago now but I could swear it was about $150. This particular scope was one of the very first to be offered with a lighted aiming point. You pushed a sliding switch at the rear objective and a little red dot would light in the middle of the crosshairs....it was pretty "high tech" circa 1985 or so.....

Regardless of how much it was they told me to pound sand for what was an obvious defect in the scope. Didn't sit to well with me. With the large number of high quality, reasonably priced scopes available today...not a great business plan.

pricedo
12-30-2011, 04:00 AM
Rossi 92s & 336s (made in upstate Brazil).

Bushnell scopes (made in China or Korea).

About as American as sauerkraut or chop suey.

There ain't much sacred any more.

Ranch Dog
12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Rossi 92s & 336s (made in upstate Brazil).

Bushnell scopes (made in China or Korea).

About as American as sauerkraut or chop suey.

There ain't much sacred any more.

Yeah, there isn't anything sacred but I'm not to blame for it. It is the hundreds of CEOs and corporate raiders operating unchecked for the last several decades doing anything they can to maximize their personal gain. They have set the course for this transformation which has spelled doom for tens of thousands of American craftsmen. You want to examine American quality, buy a Remington levergun. No thanks, I will spend my money on a Rossi. I've shopped around and don't see anything out there anymore.

I do spend my hard earned money in the US when the product quality and features suit my needs, especially products in the firearm industry. Heck, I could buy a house with what I send to Lee each year! That's employing American labor. I do get hundreds of offers from Chinese manufacturers each year. I have even received some unsolicited copies of my products as examples. I understand why companies throw in the towel and start just being a middle man for these products rather than being involved in everything associated with the manufacturing process. If it comes to ordering from China, I would stop selling molds.

6pt-sika
12-30-2011, 11:21 AM
This whole thing about brand to buy is a personal thing obviousely and like evry one else I have my own perspective of the situation .

I choose not to buy new Remington products , I choose not to buy new Marlin products and I choose not to buy new Browning products . I have never been an advocate of Taurus/Rossi/Puma products however these 45-70 Rossi's do look nice .

I've pretty much decided to only buy older Remington's , Marlin's and Browning's . And the same can pretty much be said for the majority of the scopes i get now . Many older Weavers and Refields adorn my rifles that weren't there a couple years ago .

I'll still buy Leupold/Redfield new products but not like I used to .

Jacko.357
12-31-2011, 04:26 AM
Pleased as punch to see these new Rossi Rio Grande 45.70's look the goods. I have been holding my breath waiting to see a Range Report on these Rio Grand 45.70's. First heard about them mid year and have been waiting for them to arrive here in Australia, was looking through a local Gunshops Website this arvo and noticed they had them in stock - $750 which is a great price for a Rifle like this as an 1895 Marlin is around $1300

Thanks for the report Ranchdog, I have one of your Moulds for my .44, just ordered a Mould for my .357 and no doubt at some stage in the next little while will need one for a .45.70, I do like the sound of a 300 gr Mould out of a 6.5# 45.70

regards Jacko

simo99
12-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Jacko, Cleavers have them for $635. My local bloke here in Townsville will do it for $650. Ordered one last week. Already loaded some 350 grain Hawkesbury rivers over 50 of 2206h. Looking forward to shooting it.

pricedo
12-31-2011, 06:52 PM
This whole thing about brand to buy is a personal thing obviousely and like evry one else I have my own perspective of the situation .

I choose not to buy new Remington products , I choose not to buy new Marlin products and I choose not to buy new Browning products . I have never been an advocate of Taurus/Rossi/Puma products however these 45-70 Rossi's do look nice .

I've pretty much decided to only buy older Remington's , Marlin's and Browning's . And the same can pretty much be said for the majority of the scopes i get now . Many older Weavers and Refields adorn my rifles that weren't there a couple years ago .

I'll still buy Leupold/Redfield new products but not like I used to .

Hold on to your old stuff.

At the rate American icon brand names are being taken over & "prostituted" by heartless profiteers the old JM Marlins & New Haven Winchesters (especially pre 64) will be commanding higher prices simply cause they don't make'em any more & they are the last of their kind.

Sad but true.

Don't be "guilt tripped" into buying inferior products just cause its purportedly American made (with 90% of the parts made in Korea & China:groner:) & reward the corporate rapists !!

pricedo
01-01-2012, 07:36 PM

I put a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x40mm scope on my Rossi Rio Grande in .30-30 WCF using the Warne QD mounts.

QD = Quick Detachable

With the Warne QD mounts I can field dismount the scope & access the decent factory iron sights in a couple of seconds without tools.

My experience with the Warne QD mounts has been really good & they return to zero faithfully after each dismounting / remounting.

I don't put "witness marks" on the back & front tightening nuts & ring bases like some do & just tighten the nuts til their finger tight & I've had no problem with the POI wandering off zero.