PDA

View Full Version : Not real impressed with RCBS Pro 2000 Quality Assurance fresh out the box

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Rant on:

I've had my RCBS Pro 2000 now for three weeks and haven't loaded a cartridge on it yet. Here's why:

First, opened the box three weeks ago and discovered most of the blued parts weren't oiled (The bullet tray had rust on the button and a nasty black powder from lack of oil all over it, the various other blued parts needed cleaning and oiling before they were decent to use. The lock ring for the powder measure is rusty. I've cleaned these items and they're useable, but the brown stains I know will rust if not kept constantly oiled is irritating, especially for what I paid for this press. My thought is I shouldn't have to see rusty spots.

Having to clean a new out of the box item because the manufacturer didn't take the time to put proper preservative oil and it's rusty or nasty isn't fun. I don't mind cleaning preservatives off, but rust, that's just not right.

Next, the spring for the rotational detente was incorrect, it was the "old" stiff, stronger one. Oddly enough, this kept the shell plates from over rotating as much as they might other wise. Why? Because the increased resistance held back the over rotation caused by the improper adjustment of the rotation cams at the factory. When they sent me a new spring, the over rotation due to incorrect cam adjustment was worse.

Third, the out of adjustment cams were adjusted in "TOO firmly," causing the cams to become damaged (peened over) and ruining them. I saw this when I finally got the alignment pins (an item that should come with this press in my opinion, but doesn't, you have to call RCBS for them).

4th, one of the shell plates, brand new, out of the bag, had machining flashing on one of the screw holes as well as rust on it. Another quality assurance issue.

RCBS customer service has been willing to "mail" me whatever I've asked, but waiting a week or so only to discover something else is wrong is getting ridiculous. I'm beginning to miss my LnL AP at this point and I was very tired of it when I sold it.

I really don't appreciate having to be the company's quality corrections department, especially at this price point. I'm debating sending the thing back.

Rant off.

Dave

car16
11-30-2011, 07:23 PM
have you thought about shipping it back to rcbs tell them to fix and make it right or refund your $$$

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-30-2011, 07:53 PM
I am seriously thinking about it.

jimkim
11-30-2011, 08:44 PM
I'd be taking a serious look at Dillon right about now.

Walt
11-30-2011, 09:20 PM
I am seriously thinking about it.

If in your shoes, I would definately send it to RCBS. I have used RCBS customer service only once. They made me happy right away. From what I've seen and heard I bet they would do the same for you too. Call 'em and get a RA number!

UNIQUEDOT
11-30-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm sure rcbs would send you a return shipping label. Perhaps you could just get a refund and get Dillon 650. Never hear much negativity about it and of course aluminum won't rust.

Ickisrulz
11-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Most people are pleased with the level of customer service they receive from RCBS. Maybe you should give them a chance to make things right since every company sqeaks out a lemon once in a while. There must have been something that made you choose RCBS in the first place.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Well, I've been giving them a chance for the past three weeks. Called them several times about several parts on this thing and yes, they're willing to send a new part/piece, etc. Thing is, this thing has so many problematic parts between the rustiness, lack of preservative oils, etc., that I'm just getting tired of waiting for them to ship me another part via the mail man outta California.

I wish I could say some of it was a damp warehouse it was stored in, but the box it came in looks pristine and shows no signs of moisture. So it's definitely a quality control issue wherever this thing was manufactured.

As far as a lemon goes, this particular press is for sure a lemon. I'm packing it back up and calling them tomorrow to see if I can get a call tag. Make this their problem instead of mine.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm sure rcbs would send you a return shipping label. Perhaps you could just get a refund and get Dillon 650. Never hear much negativity about it and of course aluminum won't rust.

It's not the painted cast iron that's rusted. It's all the blued small parts, like the locking nut on the case activated powder drop or the bullet tray. It's enough to drive you nuts, especially when you get through cleaning one part and fine another that's rusty.

dromia
12-01-2011, 01:52 AM
Give them the chance to replace it with a new unit that works as described if that fails go somewhere else.

220swiftfn
12-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Well, if the parts are outdated, than the press that you have has been sitting around somewhere for a while.... Let us know if they make good (I've never had a problem with their customer service, but I've never had to send back a complete unit before....)

Dan

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Well, if the parts are outdated, than the press that you have has been sitting around somewhere for a while.... Let us know if they make good (I've never had a problem with their customer service, but I've never had to send back a complete unit before....)

Dan

It's not outdated parts, there are no outdated parts. It's improper adjustment on the parts that's caused damage as well. Any way you look at it, it's poor quality control. How many weeks does one have to wait on a six hundred dollar machine to be right? My eighty buck Lee Classic Turret was right out of the box. Didn't need a dozen parts and a set of adjusting gauges from the factory to make it right.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Called RCBS and I'm going to return the press. I told them I didn't want this press back and I'm requesting replacement or refund. I'll post how they handle it.

Walt
12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Good luck Dave. I'll be watching for the update.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Had it boxed up ready to ship, but got in some more parts - a replacement base, another bullet tray and a locking ring. They were covered with this black filth too and were poorly packed - the heavy case iron base banged up against the bullet tray and skinned both items up. Turned my hands black handling them. I swear, I get less mess on my hands when I blue guns. Whatever this stuff is or whatever process they're using, this stuff is nasty.

Cleaned everything off, lubed everything up and changed the bases. Cleaned a bunch of tapping crumbles out of one of the base screw mount holes. Changed the base fixed the issue, so apparently it was an improperly drilled base causing the issue, which means it's definitely been sitting in a warehouse for a while. But now the cams are going to have to be changed because they're dinged up/peened over, so the mechanism movement is rougher than it ought to be. I suppose I could stone the rough spots off, but not sure how that will affect the indexing.

That said, the nasty black dust and filth on the blued parts aren't just because this press has been sitting in a warehouse. It's on these new parts I just received straight from RCBS.

jimkim
12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm beginning to think you need a hazmat suit to use that monstrosity. I hope you're up to date on your tetanus vaccination.

Believe it or not, I actually cringe a little reading your posts.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Jim,

I hope it's only the posts in this thread you're talking about.

JesterGrin_1
12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Dave as you said you still have the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press :)

And I thought you really liked the Hornady LNL

jimkim
12-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Jim,

I hope it's only the posts in this thread you're talking about.

Reading your posts I'm actually getting a little Po'ed myself. There is no excuse for this. You'd think they would at least clean and inspect the replacement parts. It almost feels like they are piling on.

Recluse
12-02-2011, 02:30 AM
I'm a fan of RCBS for the most part, although I think their presses are way overpriced these days considering the competition's quality and pricing. They're living on their reputation of thirty/forty years ago, but charging next decade's price for it.

That doesn't cut it with me.

Yes, their customer service is top-shelf, but I've had to use their customer service on at least a 3:1 ratio over that of Hornady and Lee. I wonder why that is?

I also keep hearing these nasty rumors about much of RCBS's stuff being manufactured in China. RCBS makes it a big point to say that their stuff is assembled in America. . . but no mention where the source parts originate.

That nasty black crud sounds EXACTLY like the cheapo stuff the Chinese use to pack a lot of their tools and parts in.

If it were me, that press would've been on the first boat back to CA and RCBS after I unpacked it and saw what a mess it was.

:coffee:

Jammer Six
12-02-2011, 03:20 AM
That nasty black crud sounds EXACTLY like the cheapo stuff the Chinese use to pack a lot of their tools and parts in.
Citation, please.

What is it?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Dave as you said you still have the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press :)

And I thought you really liked the Hornady LNL

I do like the Hornady LnL, but after ten years I was tired of it. Though I gotta say, I didn't much like the kludgy way the Hornady's shell feeder had to be set up. Precluded quick change overs. In the end, I got rid of it because I don't really need a progressive, then my son and wife express a desire for me to have a progressive.

I don't have the Lee Classic Turret any more either. I sold it to a fella that needed it for affordable reloading more than me a while back.

In retrospect, if Hornady's customer service had been a bit better about shipping out replacement parts, I probably would have just sold the case feeder and gotten a bullet feeder. I really miss the flexibility of the Hornady Lock N Load bushings. These die plates and the one fixed hole on this press are really going to limit what I can set up vs. what I could set up on the Hornady.

hedgehorn
12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Its not easy to find the aps priming strips where I live. Packaging is often a deal breaker no matter the quality of the product.

LUBEDUDE
12-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Man what a headache Dave.

Hope you get it fixed Right soon.